Gamesalad may be getting a bad name for itself.

ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hey guys i've been reviewing a few of your games since the review function is working again.
And there is a lot of Negative feedback for a lot Gamesalad Games.
One review for example said: "It's just another crap Gamesalad game, what a rip"

I don't really know what else to say about that but point it out.
Open for discussion.
Thanks all!
-----------------------------------------------------
Join the GameSalad Community and have your game noticed for free.
http://www.facebook.com/ListYourTopiPhoneGame
List your Top iPhone Game on FaceBook!

Comments

• ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    mmm, That is true, I think GameSalad is one of the most recognised App development tools on the market and it's simplicity is well know so I do think we get judged very easily.
  • ShanemcShanemc Member Posts: 86
    The bad thing about it though is most of the games (not all) that are good games are by pro users so they don't have the GS splash screen but 99% of the bad games do have a splash screen because any Jo blow can make a game with GS and put it on the app store they are not going to spend the money for the pro.
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    I think it's just like that old saying. "Guns don't kill people, people kill people"

GameSalad doesn't make bad games, people make bad games. With GameSalad's ease of use, and being completely free, anybody and everybody can make a game with it, which would have a bigger market of sub-par quality games.
    SlickZero: You're totally right. (PS reply to my email :P)

Shanemc: That's a really good point! The splash Screens could be doing a lot more Harm then good.
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    I haven't gotten an email from you lately. D:
  • simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    SlickZero said:
    I think it's just like that old saying. "Guns don't kill people, people kill people"

Agree .. Slickzero but Gamesalad the company is like the gun fair organizers without background checks and 7 day waiting periods meaning anyone and everyone is walking out with a gun. Mayhem is the potential result. :D .... Well not really ... since it is game making ... but the point being the model has the unfortunate and likely result of people publishing whatever they can .... tbh I thought about getting my 'first game out the way' so I could test the publishing procedures and get all my ducks in a row. If it wasn't for participating in the forums and respecting those who help here I might have just done that.
    Hotmail Sucks!

I think honestly Templates need to be controlled more.
  • BackUpAndDownBackUpAndDown Member Posts: 685
    It's just because Gamesalad is so easy to use. With game salad any 12 year old kid with little to no game or graphic design experience can make subpar games with no effort. Back when the only way to make an app was to spend months learning how to use xCode it prevented anyone who wasn't 100% dedicated from releasing some lame angry birds ripoff with hopes of becoming rich over night. Now the app store is filled with games that look like they were made with MsPaint and apple continues to lower the bar and accept that kind of junk. Personally I think this reflects worse on apple then it does on GameSalad.
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    Im not as good as TSB and he others to afford a 499 a year subscription. I do with GS would allow non 499 users the option for a 50$ fee to have the GS logo removed. That way some bad game makers using he free version can avoid hurting the gs name. But Im going to do my best to make sure Im pleased with my release before i decide to release it.
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    BackUpAndDown said:
    It's just because Gamesalad is so easy to use. With game salad any 12 year old kid with little to no game or graphic design experience can make subpar games with no effort. Back when the only way to make an app was to spend months learning how to use xCode it prevented anyone who wasn't 100% dedicated from releasing some lame angry birds ripoff with hopes of becoming rich over night. Now the app store is filled with games that look like they were made with MsPaint and apple continues to lower the bar and accept that kind of junk. Personally I think this reflects worse on apple then it does on GameSalad.

HEY!!! age is just a number. well in some cases, its experience as well. but I am 14, and haven't been using GS for a while, but illustrator I have been. So they whole any 12 year old is wrong is some cases. but you are VERY right. anybody could make a game with GS. I take one look at xcode and give up. so I result in using GS. but people think that GS is so easy to use, that they should just submit games fast so they can make a bunch. they dont realize taking their time will help tremendously.
    DreamLab said:
    HEY!!! age is just a number. well in some cases, its experience as well. but I am 14, and haven't been using GS for a while, but illustrator I have been. So they whole any 12 year old is wrong is some cases. but you are VERY right. anybody could make a game with GS. I take one look at xcode and give up. so I result in using GS. but people think that GS is so easy to use, that they should just submit games fast so they can make a bunch. they dont realize taking their time will help tremendously.

I didn't mean to insult anyone I just used 12 as an example of someone who probably doesn't have the same amount of design experience as some of the older game developers who make many of todays top games. It's awesome that your starting a such a young age and i'm sure you will benefit from all the experience your gaining. If this is something your truly interested in I wish you all the best and hope that you'll never become discouraged. :)
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    BackUpAndDown said:
    I didn't mean to insult anyone I just used 12 as an example of someone who probably doesn't have the same amount of design experience as some of the older game developers who make many of todays top games. It's awesome that your starting a such a young age and i'm sure you will benefit from all the experience your gaining. If this is something your truly interested in I wish you all the best and hope that you'll never become discouraged. :)

haha I was kidding. lol. but you are right.
  • micksolomicksolo Member Posts: 264
    reckon you could make a game like Tiny Wings or Doodle Jump with GS?

I do. The problem isn't GS, the problem is that nobody has quite cracked it yet. Who's going to be the first?
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    old news.

the problem with gamesalad is that the investment required to get an app in the app store is so low, and it's barrier to entry is also so low. Anyone can take one of the included templates, switch out some images, and publish their first iOS Game.

I know many people do that hoping to make $50-100 per game before it dies, and just keep shoveling out the crap.

I'm glad that pro users don't have the splash screen anymore. I think making the software free did wonders for getting people to use the software, but it has also drawn some people who would rather make a quick buck that put out something they are proud of.
    micksolo said:
    reckon you could make a game like Tiny Wings or Doodle Jump with GS?

I do. The problem isn't GS, the problem is that nobody has quite cracked it yet. Who's going to be the first?

Agreed. The problem is also that people would rather use GS to make cheep clones of top apps and hope to make a few extra bucks instead of taking the time to make a new and unique game.

Making a completely unique game takes a lot of time and effort and in the end it's a bit of a gamble but being willing to take that gamble is what makes a top selling game.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    BackUpAndDown said:

It's definitely an experience thing but its also a commitment thing and most kids are committed to nothing that requires tons of effort. So as bad as it is to say I think the age thing is a big factor. There are definitely Young users who are fully committed But I think the comments on this forum are proving more and more how young the users actually are. It actually gets unbearable at times and I have to just shut it down for a while because I don't want to talk to Middle School/high school kids in middle school/high school fashion constantly. Its different for the ones who can carry on an adult conversation obviously but I get sick of the extremely childish nature of a lot of the post here and I think that hurts GameSalad from the Development side of things because it gives the impression Game Salad is a toy in the eyes of professionals. Then add in the massive crappy app load flowing out of Game Salad from a ton of users who either simply rip off templates or other apps trying to make a fast buck or make some junk so they can show their friends they have an app on the app store is defiantly hurting Game Salad.

Honestly I cant believe when apple rejects a flashlight app because it's not complex enough to enhance the user experience. Why they approve the ridiculous apps with god awful graphics or are obvious rip offs. If it looks like a rip off of several of the same app already there then they should require an explanation of whats different from the game they are ripping off. Wheres the enhanced user experience from the original. Think of how many apps we would have rejected if they did that. It would curb rip off so much be cause who wants to invest 2-3 months into a game that is almost for sure going to be rejected? I wouldn't. It would only challenge me much harder to come up with original ideas and then work hard to ensure there is nothing like it before getting deep into development. I hate the idea of apple getting involved more into what we can and cannot sell but honestly it needs to happen.
  • micksolomicksolo Member Posts: 264
    tenrdrmer said:
    It's definitely an experience thing but its also a commitment thing and most kids are committed to nothing that requires tons of effort.

Most adults too.
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    This is why I was so for having the splash screen removed for pro users, like it or not our games were put together in users and reviewers eyes with the real crap stuff.

499 is a small price to pay to build an independent brand and get away from the GS splash. It's not gamesalad I dislike, I think it's an awesome tool.
    BackUpAndDown said:

You're right, it is Apples Fault, Games with low raitings and poor Quality should be removed or not even accepted to begin with. I'd be comfortable if my game got refused for that, it would just entice me to make my game so much better.

Dam I started a nice big thread xD haha.
  • Captain_AverageCaptain_Average Member Posts: 12
    tenrdrmer said:
    It's definitely an experience thing but its also a commitment thing and most kids are committed to nothing that requires tons of effort.

micksolo said:
    Most adults too.

I was going to post a well reasoned, eloquent riposte, but it got really hard and I gave up halfway through....
  • Thunderguy77Thunderguy77 Member, PRO Posts: 3
    edited May 2020

• paulkerrypaulkerry Member, PRO Posts: 25

I recommend you people move to Buildbox far better application for games.

I only keep on game salad to support legacy stuff I haven't yet redeveloped.

is anyone having issue with generating a build in iOS ? The version of GameSalad used to create this project is not supported. Please download the latest version.

• adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 436

I have a buildbox pro account, I sill prefer GameSalad. All engines have their problems. You just have to learn to live with what you have and work around the problems.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@adriangomez, I couldn't agree more. No one game engine is perfect and will be able to do everything that evert developer needs. I certainly still use Gamesalad for lots of projects and have also taken the time to investigate and use a couple other engines as well. I like them all for different reasons. :)