• TOTB4 • MAIN OFFICIAL THREAD • THEME ANNOUNCED • HAPPY NEW YEAR! •

StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
edited January 2012 in Conferences and Events

THE THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX 4 CONTEST IS LIVE

A GAMESALAD GAME DESIGN CONTEST FOR ORIGINAL THINKERS

01/01/2012 - 31/01/2012

THEME: END OF THE WORLD

• The idea of the contest is to produce a great and original game using the GameSalad software.

• Please run a development thread in the 'Think Outside The Box' section of the forum. So that we all benefit from your project and see how it grows from a collection of rough ideas into a thing of indie gaming beauty.

• Check Out the rules, judging criteria and amazing prize list over at http://www.stormystudio.com/totb4.html

• The best chance of winning will come from combining a truly original game idea with perfect playable gameplay.

• All games entered must be produced by an individual (including all artwork).

• The games must be based in some way on the contests theme. (End of the World)

• Not essential but it would be cool if games could be made landscape in a format suitable for playing on the GS Arcade once finished.

WHY 'END OF THE WORLD' AS THE THEME?
There was some great discussion on what the theme should be.

The thinking behind 'End of The World' is due to the contest starting at the beginning of 2012. The year that the Mayan people believed will be the end of the World.

The theme hopefully allows for a large scope of original game ideas…be it puzzle games, runners, planet spinning, space rocket, climate disasters, mystery, love, politics, racing…basically anything..as long as its some how connected to 'The end of the world'.

Some people were hoping for 'no artwork' or 'black and white' as the theme. I decided that either one alone would mean that anyone could enter a game already started and so remove the whole point of having a theme. Your welcome to go down the black and white route as this can look very cool. There is only a small number of points available for use of audio and graphics which will hopefully mean you concentrate on original game ideas and solid gameplay.

... good luck...

Comments

• App SurgeApp Surge Member Posts: 651
    Awesome!
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    :-)
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    I've started brainstorming already!!!!!!!!! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good to hear Leonard (Jack)....

Sorry to al those expecting an email announcement....its now 25 minutes into the new year and my email is still refusing to send...

• ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    I've got an idea already lol.

So unless I don't understand properly, we have to do 100% this, in as, although i'm developing the game I can't hire a graphics artist or go 50/50 on the project with a Graphics artist?
    Yes you have to do it all yourself... it's the only way to keep it fair and all that jazz.

Happy New Year... and good night...
    Finally managed to send the proper email to all the official TOTB4 email subscribers...

Good luck guys and gals coming up with your ideas...hope your hang overs (if you have one) are bearable...

Happy New Year...this year is going to be awesome...make sure you have a good one... cheers Jon (aka stormy)
  • ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    edited January 2012
    Happy New Year Stormy, thanks for the challenge! I've already started on my art :D I should start a thread right now....

Is there rules on ideas to? Like if someone does a Nuklear bomb blowing up game (which i'm not doing) does that mean if you thread it first no one else can?

Edit - Sorry, i'm on the web page looking at rules now.

We can buy music though right?
  • JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877
    Oh yes!!!
    Im on it;D
  • iCliffiCliff Member Posts: 51
    AWESOME! Gotta get started!

Oh and i got the email about half an hour ago :)
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Wow, I can't wait to see what people come up with.
    I want to join this, however, I don't know if I'll have the time.
    I am trying to complete my first app and release it very soon. If I'll just stop tweaking it to death. :-)

Good luck everyone!
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    I have a question too - the game has to be on GS Arcade? What if my game will be too big for it?
    BTW, I will join the contest (I like the theme very much), but my game will be unplayable in Arcade, because I want to use accelerometer.
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    well, @stormystudio, the name/focus of the contest is Think Outside the Box!
    and think you have put us in the narrowest of sci-fi boxes! ;)
    for over 100 years this has been a recurrent theme … and hackneyed to pieces!
    I can think of 10+ scenarios and only one sorta original.

and of course my mind keeps churning on:
    Fire and Ice
    Some say the world will end in fire,
    Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.
          — Robert Frost
    Unfortunately, all my boxed ideas involve conflict with other humans … and I have enough of that in Life to not want in games!

I will sleep on this theme …
    and perhaps I will awake with a unboxed brainstorm!

MH
  • dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Member Posts: 620
    I wasn't quite sure about the rules. Can multiple apps be submitted?
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Hate to break it to you stormy but I never got the email :( No worries though, I've already got an idea, and depending on weather I can get through testing one of our new apps, I'll be sure to join! No promises though :)

Happy New Year!

- Alex
    @Moonwalls - No it does not have to be submitted to the GS Arcade (just nice to do it for those games that can be)...
    @MR.Rinoy - I'd personally only submit none game and put your best effort into it...so only one game submission please...(Also the judges might moan if they have to judge more than one entry per competitor).
    @OSUCowboy18 - hope you join, sorry about the email...let me know if it ever turns up....

@Motherhoose - I'm pretty sure there is loads of scope for originality....perhaps a game where you play as a dog that has to search the park and find his love one (another dog) and they get it on...before the world goes BOOM!!! (or BARK!)
  • App SurgeApp Surge Member Posts: 651
    @stormystudio - When I submit my game, do I need to give you the project file or anything? Or just a link to a YouTube trailer?

Just pulled an all-nighter getting most of the gameplay and main graphics done :) Love the theme!

Thanks,
    Henry Abrams
  • theCodeMonsterstheCodeMonsters Member Posts: 359
    I knew in my heart that the theme would be apocalyptic. I think I'm going to enter in this contest this year given the theme and considering I wanted to make a game with this sort of theme. THANKS AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
    @stormystudio
    Do we have to create the soundtracks ourselves.... I have apple logic studio but ill have to learn how to use it a lot better thank i know....
    So are aloud use purchased soundtracks or do they have to be custom built (By ourselves)
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    Great theme and I'm looking forward to judging you guys and seeing what you make from it.

Best of luck to all that enter,

Darren.

FREE GS Templates
    FREE GS Tools
    Video Tutorials
    Forum
    3rd party marketplace
  • HapiappsHapiapps Member Posts: 373
    Would it be alright if I made an image that was in one of spriteattack's tutorials. I am making it myself, just wondering.
    @hapiapps i would say so... Its only following a tutorial.... Its still best to check with @stormystudio
    edited January 2012
    @LeonardDeveloper - sorry but yes you have to do your own sound.. so please either learn some music software (GarageBand is pretty intuitive and surprisingly powerful), or record yourself singing or playing an instrument to record some music track. It could be fun...especially making your own sound effects.

@Hapiapps - Why not follow the tutorial, learn from it and make a slightly different looking sprite...just so you can pleased that its all your own work.
    @stormystudio
    Thats ok! I have logic studio... and know the basics so i should be able to achieve something good!
  • jobonoobdudejobonoobdude Member Posts: 152
    Well well, you finally get around to TOTB4, AFTER the break is almost over :)
    O well, guess another month of sleepless nights wont hurt me more than it did LAST TIME ;)
    good luck to you all
    (BTW, love the theme)
    One question - end date is 31/01/2012, so the game have to be on AppStore this day?
  • JadarStudiosJadarStudios Member Posts: 264
    Whoa! Can't wait to get started!
  • EthanZarovEthanZarov Member Posts: 156
    It is hard only having a month. I am sort of new though, so does this go on every year once, or what?
  • iCliffiCliff Member Posts: 51
    @etzer TOTB Isnt really a yearly thing (I think):) ! Stormy kinda decides when it happens. I believe The last TOTB was in june (2011) :)