TOTB4 - Future Newb Apps

8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Member, PRO Posts: 368
edited January 2012 in Conferences and Events
Hey everybody, we'll I'm in. This is the second TOTB for me. I won "Best Originality" on the last one which was fun and the competition was great. I'm looking forward to the final outcome of my game and what everybody else does in the contest. I've been brainstorming a few ideas and I'm finally down to one, for now.... So I'm just going to start doing artwork soon and hope it turns out how I envision it. The gameplay is already thought out completely so that's out of the way, just have to implement it, which isn't going to be that easy. Hopefully I can dive in today some, but I'm also in the final stages of my main game I've been working on that should be released in the next couple months. So hopefully I'll just be testing & polishing it while I'm working on this TOTB game.

End Of The World......hmmm well the end of the world means the possibility of another world/life. My game is related to....the Afterlife. More details & etc coming soon.....

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

Comments

• 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Member, PRO Posts: 368
    Well.... now other ideas are coming into my head that sound interesting. My game could very well be about what I mentioned above, a bomb or possibly something similar to Half Minute Hero......

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

edited January 2012
    Well I was leaning towards something that had to do with the afterlife but I believe in God and my idea started to become a little bit too potentially controversial and less fun in my opinion so I've thrown that idea away for now. Last night after some intense brainstorming I decided on a complete idea & outlook for my game which was one of my first ideas I thought of when the theme was announced but it's been evolved and fleshed out more now. This new idea is more fun and silly than my religious afterlife idea but involves the same type of gameplay element. It’s about the end of the world of course, but it has nothing to do with humans…..it’s about the world ending for a specific type of animal.

I'll be JUMPING into it more this weekend and I'll try to post some visual elements on here soon.....

I've been working on a bunch of art this weekend and implementing it into the gameplay itself, testing, and planning out the rest of the gameplay, layout and etc. The dark shadow/Slightly 3dish effects on the outlines are on purpose. The whole game is kind of going to pop out a little. Here's a taste of what I've been working on and one of the main backgrounds which changes depending on what time you play....

edited January 2012
    Alright disregard that sky picture above. Since my game is cartoony I realized the realistic clouds didn't fit so well the more I looked at them together. The bad part is I didn't come to this conclusion until after I spent about an hour on several backgrounds. However, after deleting them from my game and adding my new more efficient artwork my game went down a couple MBs so that's great. I've been doing a lot of artwork for the scenery, power-ups, and items to avoid. I'm also finishing up the basic gameplay and environmental elements.

This game is going to have an Endless mode and a couple Time Attack modes. I'll post a short video later with snippets of what I've done so far. Oh yea, my game is about a planet of bunny rabbits that's being destroyed and you need to save them....

It's late, time to sleep.

• JamwithnoJamwithno Member Posts: 312
    Dude I like the art work a lot (I like the portal 2 background too) :).
    edited January 2012
    @Jamwithno thanks for the compliment dude and yea Portal 2 is awesome, one of my favorite games of all time.

Ok here's a rough preview video showing some gameplay, power-ups/downs, and some of the graphics. It also shows certain things changing during a 60 second time attack mode(sun goes down, clouds start forming, sky gets darker, spaceship takes off). You actually control two rafts with two fingers(1 per finger), but I couldn't do multi-touch on the computer to show that feature off currently. I can't get my game to load on my phones viewer so before I record my final video I'll either have to change the controls or put an adhoc copy on my phone to show off the multi touch controls. I thought it would be neat to have two rafts so this game could also be played by two people with each of them controlling a raft with their own finger.

and here's some more artwork that I finished earlier.

Next I'll be working on the text graphics and menus. All of the game modes are currently in one scene, but I might split them up. Then after test, I'll work on sound and music which shouldn't take long since I have a good idea of what I want the game to sound like and I've written a list of all the sound effects I need to make. I'm going to try to squeeze in some time and check out everybody else's progress so far in the contest later this week. Excited to see so many threads!

• jobonoobdudejobonoobdude Member Posts: 152
    wow, really cool dude, nice idea, and its a lot cheerier than the other things :)
    edited January 2012
    @jobonoobdude thank you for those kind words, it means a lot. Yea its definitely completely different from the other TOTB games I've seen.

Alright, so I just finished all of the text and gameplay graphics and everything has been implemented and it's running very smooth. The entire game supports retina resolution. I finished the "how to play" screen last night. Right now I'm finishing up an in game intro cinematic. Then I'm going to finish up the sound which should all be complete by tomorrow hopefully. I've been getting ready for the release of my main game project(Lightspeed Bit Bit), which comes out tomorrow so my TOTB game had to take a little break, luckily I did most of the work during the beginning of the month so I'm not that behind. So yea here's the main menu for the game. I forgot to click on stuff to show the transitions but I'm in a bit of a rush. I've been going back and forth with a couple of different styles for the lava, and I'm still not 100% sure I'll go with the one in the video below.

edited January 2012
    I present to you.....Saving Bunnies!

How is Saving Bunnies outside of the box?
    When someone thinks about the end of the world and a game about it....who thinks about the end of a planet full of animals, specifically cute bunny rabbits??? Well that would be me. Planet Rabuny is about to be completely destroyed by a massive volcano, but Earth has sent a space ship to save as many bunnies as possible. There are tons of bunnies and even baby bunnies too. There are power ups that help you(Increase size of bounce raft, a bridge, and more), and then there are bad items(ice cube temporarily freezes raft, icicle shrinks raft-you must tap it 5 times to inflate, and the lava ball destroys the raft).

The controls are simple and smooth. You move the bounce raft left and right with your finger. However, instead of one bounce raft, you have two! So you're using two fingers to work together and bounce these bunnies to safety. You could even play this game as co-op multi-player. When you're saving a planet sometimes you might need help from a friend. So you can use one finger to control a bounce raft and the other person can use one finger to control the other raft. With the inclusion of someone else the game changes a lot.

The bunnies are very sporadic. They move and jump off the cliff at random speeds. If they miss the bounce raft they don't die instantly though. When they land in the water they just get pushed backwards with the flow of the river to try again. The graphics are sharp, colorful, retina enabled and have a shading 3dish effect that makes the game really pop. The background also responds to the time changing. The music has a tribal feel to it and nature atmosphere sounds are played during gameplay. I also used a lot of real world items for the sound effects like; ice, bubble packaging cushions, carrots, a paper bag, and some other things. Also the intro story cinematic sets the tone of the game......silly, fun, and kind of serious but not really.

Thank you to everyone involved in the TOTB contest. I've been sleep deprived and haven't been able to play Skyrim because of this, but it was all worth it. I had a great time. Time for sleep. Here's the my video;

(The sound goes down during the device gameplay section)

I-)