Overlay or Soft Light Blending Mode

joshuawildejoshuawilde Member Posts: 96
edited April 2012 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hello everyone. I was wondering if there was any way that I could create an effect like the overlay or soft light blending modes in Gimp and Photoshop.

Answers

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited April 2012

@joshuawilde Hi Joshua, in the Graphics section of an actor's attributes, there are blending modes - Opaque, Additive, Screen and Multiply; perhaps experiment with those to see if any are close to what you're after...

One thing to point out: you can't change blending in-game.

----------------------------------------------
    http://davidgriffinapps.co.uk/

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• joshuawildejoshuawilde Member Posts: 96
    I have tried changing the blending modes but i can't seem to find something that works like overlay or soft light
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Yup, I would have been a little surprised if you didn't know about the blending modes - but that's your lot when it comes to image filtering in GSC, I'm afraid.

The only solution is to bring in your image already filtered as you want; if you want the image to change from normal to filtered, you'll need two images, of course.

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

what if i want it to have a flashlight effect in the game where it makes the area that the light is on lighter and brighter.
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Well that wouldn't work with the blending modes (especially because they don't like see through bits) - I never use the Gamesalad blending modes.

You could make your image brighter and how you want it to look when the flashlight is on it and make a full screen image in photoshop that is black with the opacity down a bit and a big (or however big you want your flashlight) circle cut out of the middle (you could fade out the edges too to make it more realistic) then the cut out part will look like its got a filter on it and the black part (play around with the opacity levels to suit) will look like its not lit up. Hope this helps.

Ace
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

no but i want to have what looks like a spotlight that moves around the screen
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited May 2012
    Were you able to download the demo file? I just noticed the link wasn't working. Here's another copy: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivg8gw7p5a3m6h7/Kipper-multilight-magic.zip

There's also a Flashlight Demo in the GameSalad-->New area if you search for "light"

If that's not the effect you wanted, can you explain it a bit better?

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

i wanted a spotlight that lightens up whatever it overlaps with the same way light would
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    the demo in GS New templates uses a large black actor with a transparent/semi-transparent circle in the center … which user drags with touch

@old_kipper showed us a simpler/easier way to get great lighting effects
    so please check out his demo

working with his demo/code you can easily create a spotlightActor that would just light-up the areas in its beam …

image MH
  • ester.denhamester.denham Member, BASIC Posts: 24

I am unable to run this demo, it will not load. Anyone got a better copy or can you just explain the process in text here?

Miss Faith 🙎

---

Hm...Does building games with Gamesalad ever get you craving Kale? Seriously! I can't stop thinking about Kale now! 🤪

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Based on what I think you're trying to do you can't exactly get what you're looking for. We can't do a blur on blend.

The best you can do is a follows:

Create an actor with a transparent circle (or maybe one with a transparent yellow) and translucent black border, that's your lighted area

Create 4 more actors that surround the circle actor and are translucent background, that's your unlighted area.

Try additive or multiplicative pending (I think those will do what you want with transparency) to try and get the underling image to reflect the light's "temperature" (i.e. in case you want a yellow / warm flashlight).