The most successful GameSalad title?

HappyKat78HappyKat78 Member, BASIC Posts: 173
Hi Guys,

I read that the average iOS developer makes just $200 on an app. Of course we all know it's a brutal market with choice overload for the consumer so it's not that surprising. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has had what they would consider phenomenal success with a game made in GS? If so, how much revenue did you/they make? (Obviously appreciate it if you don't want to share the last data point)

Cheers

Comments

• SAZ_1SAZ_1 Member Posts: 397
    hehe ... i fall well below average by about 75% if that answers your question LOL :D
  • GraphicWarehouseGraphicWarehouse Member Posts: 927
    somebody once said there was a utility that made $3,000,000
  • HappyKat78HappyKat78 Member, BASIC Posts: 173
    Oh that's good to know. There have definitely been games much more simple than even GameSalad's capabilities that have done well. Look at games like "The Moron Test" for example. The great thing about mobile gaming though is the majority of games that do well are very simple (obviously not including Infinity Blade here!!). The downside is that a lot of the successful companies are spending a crazy amount in marketing dollars to keep their games up in the rankings (some are not doing this legally either).
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    edited February 2012
    Yeah a year ago there was a report of an unnamed GS made app that made over $3,000,000 If you are doing this planning to make money you better be prepared to devote a majority of your time toward honing your skills and creating something truly good. Not just something your friends and family think is good.

Most developers are lucky to make $1000 per year. There are some here that make a decent living at it. But…. keep in mind they spend an enormous amount of time creating their projects.
  • ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    If you wanna make a living out of it, be prepared to put time in to your projects.
    If you wanna do well, be prepared to put time in. That's all there is to it unless you're a one hit wonder.
    TSB is bound to make a hit eventually.

Plus, again I say if you're only here to make money then gtfo! Because you gotta love what you do :)
    Games aren't a walk in the park :D
  • KillerPenguinStudiosKillerPenguinStudios Member Posts: 1,291
    @ozboybrian
    Spoken like a true champ!!! :-bd
  • CloudsClouds Member Posts: 1,599
    "what's the most successful GameSalad title?"

I've not released it yet.

;)
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    lol tynan when are you going to let the cash flooding your bank account?
    lol @Tynan - I was about to say.

I'll be releasing it in a couple months :D
    @calvin9403

I've got my bank on standby, I've told them to hire extra staff.

• capitalcarnagecapitalcarnage Member Posts: 371
    @tynan - I thought you'd be more of a bank vault at home kinda guy

• 3xL3xL Member Posts: 676
    Soon my son, soon mwahahahahaha
  • HappyKat78HappyKat78 Member, BASIC Posts: 173
    Wow! Thank you all for the wonderful advice, although my question wasn't how do I make a lot of money, it was has anyone made a lot of money? :-)

While I agree with the advice that development requires a lot of time and dedication, I would encourage you guys to think more about effective ways of acquiring, engaging, retaining and monetizing your customers. High quality is required to enter the race, but sadly that alone doesn't help you win. I may be a keen GS hobbiest by night, but I'm a an industry professional by day! ;-) It would also help if GS had some tools to help drive virality i.e. facebook connect, gamecenter, multiplayer etc. GS team, are you writing this down?! :-)
  • imbaentimbaent PRO Posts: 17
    Guys, it all depends on the idea and presentation, some luck and good timing
    my 1 game made with GS made 40k in 1 month, so don't worry, magic can happen!
  • T8TRG8TRT8TRG8TR Member Posts: 120
    @imbaent do you mind sharing what game it was? That's really cool!
  • DoomedtoFailStudioDoomedtoFailStudio Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2012
    I've made a couple games that are on the appstore. Space Dash! & 120mm HEAT.
    I've got about 4000 downloads in 6 months (free) and about 20 downloads (paid) lol. It's tough to get your name out there, that's the real kicker.

I've decided that once I'm done university I will give one year to develop games full-time. Hopefully it works out, if not, i'll move on. If you want to succeed you have to try, and try hard!

Space Dash! - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/space-dash!/id530383662?mt=8

120mm HEAT - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/120mm-heat/id526258399?mt=8

• famekraftsfamekrafts Member, BASIC Posts: 834
    Guys, it all depends on the idea and presentation, some luck and good timing
    my 1 game made with GS made 40k in 1 month, so don't worry, magic can happen!
    That's inspiring which game?

To add to the thread, there is always a market for good games. Just the idea needs to click.

Yesterday I was reading an article that clash of clans with hayday (same company release) is earning 500000 $ a day. Obviously multiplayer but that's freaking awesome.

• mrpacogpmrpacogp Member Posts: 400
    I've made a couple games that are on the appstore. Space Dash! & 120mm HEAT.
    I've got about 4000 downloads in 6 months (free) and about 20 downloads (paid) lol. It's tough to get your name out there, that's the real kicker.

I've decided that once I'm done university I will give one year to develop games full-time. Hopefully it works out, if not, i'll move on. If you want to succeed you have to try, and try hard!

Space Dash! - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/space-dash!/id530383662?mt=8

120mm HEAT - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/120mm-heat/id526258399?mt=8

I think its an great number of downloads, because when i see the graphics ...
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited December 2012

Yesterday I was reading an article that clash of clans with hayday (same company release) is earning 500000 $ a day. Obviously multiplayer but that's freaking awesome.

Yeah, I read that too, half a million a day just from the App Store, and with just two games, and two free games at that - just shows you the power of in-app-purchases !

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    We had 2 games Bumps and Red Ball of Goo that both went top 20 in the store a while back and they made approx $2000 a day.

As more and more developers join the rat race it's harder now but still possible to make some decent money on the store.

Darren.
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Darren is right, but we have to remember that most of the developers earns nothing, or close to nothing.
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited December 2012
    We had 2 games Bumps and Red Ball of Goo that both went top 20 in the store a while back and they made approx $2000 a day.
    It helps having really well made games, Red Ball of Goo is great fun to play. How long did your $2k a day continue for (I'd be happy with a few hours ! : )) ??
  • PBEmpirePBEmpire Member Posts: 676
    Wow not bad.. It is really easy to bring up hoax information here. The unknown 3mil app could be a hoax which could easily be started. Let me try- MY APP GOT 1 MILLION DOWNLOADS TODAY!!...... :D
  • SpriteAttackSpriteAttack Member Posts: 524
    It helps having really well made games, Red Ball of Goo is great fun to play. How long did your $2k a day continue for (I'd be happy with a few hours ! : )) ??
    Let's put it this way - not long enough :)
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    As said earlier in this thread there was a utility app that made 3,000,000 there was also another one that made quite a bit I think that was the laser light one... That people thought was an actual laser, But it was just a light on the screen...
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    As far is I know about 97 percent of apps sell close to nothing, 2 percent are selling average and make a couple of thousands and 1 percent or less (this number becomes smaller as the app store gets more populated) makes a fortune. But I think it is still a better market then the music business. Talent is more appreciated in games then in music. But thats my opinion.
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    On the website for clash of clans and hayday it says both games were made with teams of half a dozen. It's just a small company and I think that shows that the little guys can still make it and I find that encouraging even though my team is just ME, lol. I've had no luck so far but with each game I learn so much more and that just translate to the next game and even to older games when I update them.
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    @BBEnk I don't doubt that half a dozen people could make an amazing game, but I do wonder if that's not quite the whole story. For example, alone I can make a decent game but without good graphics or sounds. Alone with $50,000 to spend, I can make a better game with stellar graphic and sounds, animations, cut scenes, some viral marketing, etc., etc., etc.

So if it took six people to design and code the game but also three people to make the graphics, four people to make the sounds and music, two people to make the animations, one person to make the cut scenes, and eight people to do the marketing, do we say that six people made the game because those were the employees of the company, or do we add up all the other people who had an impact on the game and say it was closer to 25?

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User