Changing the loading spinner wheel

2»

Comments

• JagonAppsJagonApps Member Posts: 241
    I think the rule, if there is one, is pointless and draws customers away, GS is not benefiting in anyway. Let GS focus on the native code engine or whatever else if they wish, just clarify this instead of ignoring! I doubt anyone would care on this thread, at least in the short term, to modify the project files slightly instead of delaying other stuff to get a neat little button.
  • ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    I think the rule, if there is one, is pointless and draws customers away, GS is not benefiting in anyway. Let GS focus on the native code engine or whatever else if they wish, just clarify this instead of ignoring! I doubt anyone would care on this thread, at least in the short term, to modify the project files slightly instead of delaying other stuff to get a neat little button.
    @JagonApps
    It's not so much a 'neat little button', it's more of unique/customized, and more appropriate buttons. A loading bar would be ideal, but that would require work from GS. Sometimes the current wheel doesn't fit in with the theme of the game, and other times the game could simply be improved with a customized loading sign.

That, and this is in an unintentional way, GS branding- every GS game ever made uses the same loading symbol, so it is easy to distinguish GS games by the sing for players that have already played a handful of GS games.

Chakku
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    1. Editing the package after building will violate the TOS, plus it can potentially cause serious problems with your game, and you won't get support
    2. A loading indicator is a requirement by apple. If you don't have one they will reject your app (that doesn't mean it has to be the circle, just an indicator)
    3. The original post only works with android builds

It would be great to have options for the indicator, but that is so low on my list of wants, there are so many better things for the, to focus on. :)
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    @JagonApps / @Chakku - Two solutions:

Wouldn't it be nice if we had the option to overlay a scene or still have things from the old scene running in the background, while loading the next one? (And no GS loading wheel)

@jonmulcahy

1) We're justing talking about the pngs, not any of the xml's. I suppose it does violate the TOS (not sure why) but it wouldn't cause problems if done right.
    2) A loading indicator does not have to be constantly updated. For example, if GS removed the spinner and then let me just say 'Loading..' instead, it'd be a approved.
    3) It only works with android..? Do you know why?

- Thomas
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Editing the package itself is the violation, it doesn't matter what you do. Like I said, it also has the potential to cause other problems.

It has to be an animated indicator to show something is happening, if its static, and sits for too long (up to reviewer), they will think it crashed and reject it. It's happened to me before using other products. It's there for your protection. I do wish we had control over its location and look but it is a required component (for iOS)

For this trick you edit the unsigned package, which you get during an android build, not an iOS build. iOS gives you a presigned package, it's locked.
    @JagonApps / @Chakku - Two solutions:

Wouldn't it be nice if we had the option to overlay a scene or still have things from the old scene running in the background, while loading the next one? (And no GS loading wheel)
    @SnapFireStudios
    Overlaying a scene, which is essentially what the 'Pause' behavior does, causes additional loading from GS!!
    I'd prefer to be able to insert my own custom PNGs
    (Ideally something like this, but that may take some extra work from GS and is very low on my list of priorities)- image

@jonmulcahy
    1) I see how this could be potentially be a TOS violation, but not how it could break the game :/ Assuming we replace them properly, it should work out fine, and even then, it must surely ok out fine if we edit the included files themselves, rather than add our own.
    Regarding the TOS, we're still waiting on official word from @SaladStraightShooter, but it seems to me that this could be an easy solution to an age-old request, and maybe GS could even polish it up a bit by including it as an option in the web publishing portal.

2) True we need a loading indicator, but nobody said they weren't going to include one. A custom loading wheel/indicator is enough to pass Apple's requirements.

3) It only works with android :/

Chakku
    @jonmulcahy - How could this cause problems? And for the loading, I have had games that take up to 15 seconds to load, probably longer on older devices, and they are static. So I really don't think that's to much of a problem. You could always resubmit if one reviewer didn't like it. Also, it could be an option to use the wheel when publishing with a disclaimer that your app will be rejected if it is not obvious that it is loading.

@Chakku - I'm saying that we can have the previous scene doing things while the next is loading. This is possible with other games, so why not? I know it would probably make load times a bit longer, but it could be up the the user. At the very least, we should be able to customize the png/gif? and/or position.

- Thomas
  • ElfizmElfizm Member Posts: 489
    How does GS find out you have broken the TOS? If it's no longer in thier hands?
  • JagonAppsJagonApps Member Posts: 241
    Well, tbh this whole conversation is going around in circles, that is until @SaladStraightShooter gives us a clarification ... if he hasn't been tagged enough times ;)
    @Elfizm - They have their ways. And they put you on 'The List'. ;)
    - Thomas
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    I agree, the loading spinning wheel should have different options, but for right now there isn't any. And If I remember correctly, changing anything to the game file after you get it back from GameSalad will break your game, and the file will not work. It will be corrupted, not to mention it is against the TOS.
    @SlickZero - Why would changing what color the pixels art in the .png break anything? I don't see how that would be the case.. :-/
    - Thomas
    edited March 2013
    @jonmulcahy - How could this cause problems? And for the loading, I have had games that take up to 15 seconds to load, probably longer on older devices, and they are static. So I really don't think that's to much of a problem. You could always resubmit if one reviewer didn't like it. Also, it could be an option to use the wheel when publishing with a disclaimer that your app will be rejected if it is not obvious that it is loading.

@Chakku - I'm saying that we can have the previous scene doing things while the next is loading. This is possible with other games, so why not? I know it would probably make load times a bit longer, but it could be up the the user. At the very least, we should be able to customize the png/gif? and/or position.

- Thomas
    @SnapFireStudios
    I suppose that would be alright, but I don't want GS to get too caught up into implementing something like this. If it is a simple fix like giving us a 'yes' to edit the PNG and/or the position of the wheel, then ok; if it is something that takes up their time (if they have to develop special conditions for "When Scene is switching, do this", and delays better releases, then no.
    Think of it this way- once we get the native code engine, the loading will be much more minimal, and we won't be caught up in this! Personally, I'm quite miffed by the native code engine being pro-only, as @SaladStraightShooter specifically 'clarified' that it would not be pro-only :-L -looks like I'll be going pro earlier than I expected...

Chakku
    @Chakku - I also agreed that that was not a good route to go (Engine being pro only). But unfortuantely, neither i nor you are king, at least not any longer. We'll have to find some other people to enforce our decrees upon :D
    - Thomas
    @SlickZero - Why would changing what color the pixels art in the .png break anything? I don't see how that would be the case.. :-/
    - Thomas
    Changing the color isn't what breaks it. It's the opening of the file and making a change to something, and then saving it, regardless of what that change was, or what file it was done to. Like I said, I'm not totally sure, but that's what I remember hearing about this same discussion a couple of years back.

Either way, it is a TOS violation. I wouldn't try it, but that's just me.

edited March 2013
    @SlickZero - Ok.. interesting. Hopefully we'll have clarification on all of this soon.. I won't tag him again. :)
    - Thomas
    edited March 2013
    @SnapFireStudios
    neither i nor you are king, at least not any longer
    How about we stick with 'constitutional monarch'? ;)
    We'll have to find some other people to enforce our decrees upon :D
    - Thomas
    How about we just rule the people? Ironic that the 'people' hold so much power in a monarchy, eh? Not for long, that is >:)
    http://gamesalad.com/people
    @Chakku - I also agreed that that was not a good route to go (Engine being pro only)
    I sense a revolt...

Chakku
  • SolarPepperStudiosSolarPepperStudios Member Posts: 754
    From a standpoint of experience with other apps I have made with Xcode and from experience in programming, there would be no error in editing the file. As long as you meet the following criteria, it would work:

A) It MUST be the same size or it will crash, tear the image or look down right awful.
    B) It MUST be the same file format or you will get an error from the code looking for the image.
    C) You have to do it in a pre-made .app file (like the one you download) otherwise it won't work since Apple disabled iExplorer.

The .app file is basically a fancy version of a .zip. Now some of you may be wondering if this is true or not (I would be wondering too since I don't always trust the forums ;) ) and yes it is. If you have a Mac or PC then you can explore the file just as if it were a folder, meaning you can replace things without error.

Please note I have never edited one of the GameSalad apps I have made so I haven't violated the TOS. :) Just wanted to point that out so I'm not kicked off.
    @SaladStraightShooter?
    I think we'd all appreciate some clarification.
    - Thomas
    @SaladStraightShooter - Ok, thanks for the reply.

Three questions:

1) Is there a specific reason why GS does not want to incorporate a way for users to customize the spinner? (I have seen many a thread asking for this, but not a confirmation on whether or not it was planned)

2) Is there something that we're not thinking of that makes it difficult for GS to incorporate this feature?

2) Is the new Native Engine going to have the spinner or no?

Thanks,
    - Thomas
    While you are technically able to do it, we do not recommend it or support it, much the same way we do not recommend or support altering game XML's. Errors as a result of changing PNG's to JPG's, for example, are fully your responsibility.

Attempting to edit the publishing process, uploading, web publishing, the tool/engine itself, or decompile a binary is definitely a way to have the hammer of thor come down on your head, however. (TOS violation to the max)
    @SaladStraightShooter
    The 1st paragraph seems to imply "you can do it, but we don't like it", and the 2nd paragraph seems to imply "you can't do it, because it's against the rules"...I'm confused, even if it isn't recommended, are we legally allowed to do it? :/

Chakku
    @Chakku - Reading over it again, I agree. I believe the second paragraph goes though.. which is too bad, but I suppose understandable :-S
    - Thomas
    @SaladStraightShooter - So.. if we did change the png when publishing, at least to android, we would or would not be voiding the TOS? Thanks for the info btw.
    - Thomas
    @SaladStraightShooter - So.. if we did change the png when publishing, at least to android, we would or would not be voiding the TOS? Thanks for the info btw.
    - Thomas
    From what he's saying, no. Changing the .png file is on you... "Errors as a result of changing PNG's to JPG's, for example, are fully your responsibility." So basically, if you do that, and something messes up in your game, they will not provide support, it's all on you. And even if the problem is not with you changing out the .png files, I assume they can still deny support because of it. It's kinda like jailbreaking your iPhone. It may be deemed legal by law, but Apple won't help you with any support whatsoever if you do it.
    Ok.. cool.
    Too bad it only works on android then.
    - Thomas
  • SolarPepperStudiosSolarPepperStudios Member Posts: 754
    @SnapFireStudios Couldn't you just change the spinner in the .app file to get it on iOS or am I missing something here?
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    @utveckla_games no any changes to the .app file after signing will cause Apple and iTunes to reject the file.
    Thank you for the clarification, @tenrdrmer.
    - Thomas