Optimization priorities?

Comments

• RondoRocketRondoRocket Member Posts: 411
    Would it be possible to add some kind of "draw order" for the actors? Not some trick where you put the same actor on two different layers - but an actual attribute that lets an actor be drawn in front of another actor based on some variable.
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited April 2013

Hi @CodeWizard – a sort of optimisation: It'd be great to see a more refined Keyboard Input Behaviour some time in the future, in particular the ability to have a cursor appear in an actor acting as a field, instead of the ugly whole screen thing we have at the moment... also ability to set max. amounts of characters per line and max. amount of lines would be terrific (or just be limited by size of the actor text field). :-)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• 921creative921creative Member, PRO Posts: 140
    Being able to select multiple actors in a scene by using shift button would be pretty awesome.
    Along with the ability to snap actors to a grid and align them to each other.

Please let us modify the loading icon too.
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    @LeaonardDeveloper - *Pst.. You kind of can change the spinner, at least for android.*
    :P
    - Thomas
    P.S. Yes, I'm aware of the downfalls of using the method suggested in the thread.
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    Hello,

It would be great if game salad automatically pause game when user exit.
    its frustrating when you loose points after phone call interrupt.
    We already have that behavior.. in the rule section use..
    when HIBERNATE.. there you have it.
  • ElfizmElfizm Member Posts: 489
    Liquid physics is my dream :)
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    Better and faster support for new Apple or Android OS when they are released.

• gambetgambet Member Posts: 38
    Hello,

It would be great if game salad automatically pause game when user exit.
    its frustrating when you loose points after phone call interrupt.
    We already have that behavior.. in the rule section use..
    when HIBERNATE.. there you have it.
    what? i've read somewhere on the forum that rule is for nook/kindle. thats great news!
  • blorschblorsch Member Posts: 248
    Loading times, it gives a game a more polished and professional look.
  • siwelsiwel Member, PRO Posts: 20
    I would love too see some type of detailed analytics system implemented into GameSalad, mobclix was a good start but does not give you enough information.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    The 1 key thing missing for me is just a simple button .. It would make my life sooooo much easier ... In fact it doesnt need to be a button, it could be a behaviour ... A simple, quick, easy to add, 'Make Top 10 All Paid Games'

Pull your finger out ey @CodeWizard
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    I'm guessing it wouldn't be a quick job to fix creator preview? Was very useful when it used to work properly.
  • TimBOSSDevTimBOSSDev Member Posts: 44
    Please Please Please Please Please work on the RAM usage and bring it down
  • BenMakesGamesBenMakesGames Member Posts: 85
    Load Times, Collision Shapes and Joints. I REALLY want joints, I feel like all the games I want to make need them :-(
  • ShmirlyWhirlShmirlyWhirl Member Posts: 189
    edited April 2013
    Whilst all of these suggestion would be great, I think one of the highest priorities should be stability.

Don't get me wrong, I love GameSalad, but it's very disruptive to have the thing crash on me at random intervals. I'm just starting on a new project, so there is nothing too intense anywhere in my game.

Like when I back out of an actor to get back to the scene, open a new actor to add a behavior, simple things like that will cause GameSalad to crash.

Please, work on that.

EDIT: For the record, five crashes in about two hours today.
  • 8bitninja8bitninja Member Posts: 367
    Memory usage!!! I would love to do a infinite runner type of game without it crashing after two minute of play time.
  • TheSkinTheSkin Member Posts: 74
    Memory usage and loading time is essential optimization for me...
    And a possibility to create reusable parametrizable scripts (like custom behavior but callable as a function) is my dream
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Another thing. I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet. If so, forgive me - The ability to select multiple actors and move them around. When your making a word game or even a block removal game you have to rearrange actors one by one if you decided their positions needed to change. The ability to hold shift and select multiple actors would be amazing.
  • ElfizmElfizm Member Posts: 489
    Being able to select multiple actors in a scene by using shift button would be pretty awesome.
    @Braydon_SFX
    Apologies accepted :D
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited April 2013
    @Elfizm - Yeah haha. I hadn't read the entire thread.

EDIT: Oh snap! It's even on the same page! Epic fail! :D
  • PimanPiman Member, PRO Posts: 165
    @CodeWizard One mega awesome and potentially easy thing: If you could, before we have proper collision shapes etc., at least allow us to define the collision box (round/square/rectangle) of actor, relative to actor, that would be AWESOME.

Now, even having a simple rectangle in puzzle game with glow is tiresome, because the "glow" will register as a hit or its "edge" ....

Whereas if you have a square image of 120, with a bunch of glow around it in the image, you can at least define a hit box of 100.

This would be an awesome intermediate step regarding collision... (For circles, being able to define the radius..)
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    This is in relation to the animate behavior. Here is a thought. I know that there are two potential things. One is that say an animation that executes based on game frame rate variances based on action and the current animation behavior works pretty good for that. Second is syncing an animation to a sound file. Since the sound file doesn't get hindered by the game frame rate maybe we could have a second animate behavior that will sync to the clock instead of the game frame rate. Maybe by seperating the two actions it will deliver better results for the two different actions instead of a one size fits all?
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    edited April 2013
    One more thing I hate when ever you move an Actor on the scene it unlocks its size and that gets aggravating when your moving a lot of them can't they stay locked until I open the actor or actually change its size on the scene.
  • imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    I've changed my priority, spawnlag should be number one in my opinion.
    Spawn lag is a nightmare when it gives you that stutter! Sometimes its not viable to recycle actors. Please address the spawn lag @CodeWizard
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    If anyone has a good example of a project that has this dreaded spawn lag, that would help us in tracking down the cause. I have some ideas, but it'll speed things up to have a simple example of the issue.

Thanks!
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    I've changed my priority, spawnlag should be number one in my opinion.
    I had spawnlag a couple of years ago, fairly nasty, got some antibiotics from my doctor, seemed to clear it up.
    @CodeWizard I can send you my project if you like? I'd need to provide you a link to download from as its quite big but the spawning side of it is simple enough to see