Stretch screen to fit all devices for AppStore

Hi all,

I am having trouble making an application for all devices using one standard graphic. Apple just bought in a guideline that states all apps now must not have black bars anywhere in application. You obviously get these black bars when you letterbox applications.

I have been using overscan recently to get around this black bar problem. All my apps are made for iPhone 5 devices. When you overscan iPhone apps to work on iPod touch/iPad etc, you basically loose 10-15% of the iPhone 5 graphic and 99% of the time overscanning cuts text/images etc.

It is possible to incorporate a feature that fits the iPhone 5 graphics to all other devices. I am not fussed if this stretches/distorts images and changes the aspect ratio of the iPhone 5 image to suit other devices.

I can get around this by limiting the workable area within my iPhone 5 scenes so when a user say plays the app on iPad, the overscanned area in inactive anyway.

Cheers,

Adam

Comments

• BoomshackBarryBoomshackBarry Member Posts: 712
    I would avoid stretching graphics at all costs it really doesn't look good in most cases. I think what a lot of people are doing is designing games at iPad size (assuming that you're looking to create universal builds) and then use overscan on the smaller devices. This cuts a bit of background off but you can use rules to move around the starting positions of the various actors based on the screen size.
  • FranzKellerFranzKeller Member Posts: 517
    I'm glad I read this before starting my new app! ; - )
  • BuzidoBuzido Member Posts: 19
    I would avoid stretching graphics at all costs it really doesn't look good in most cases. I think what a lot of people are doing is designing games at iPad size (assuming that you're looking to create universal builds) and then use overscan on the smaller devices. This cuts a bit of background off but you can use rules to move around the starting positions of the various actors based on the screen size.
    Thanks BoomshackBarry!

I reckon I will start on iPad and try it that way. Otherwise I could also make an app for each device. It is way more time consuming, but it may be more beneficial :).

Cheers

Adam
    Thanks BoomshackBarry!

I reckon I will start on iPad and try it that way. Otherwise I could also make an app for each device. It is way more time consuming, but it may be more beneficial :).

Cheers

Adam
    Nice one - just remember if you have a separate app published for each device (on iOS at least) then your app store reviews and ranking will be fragmented, which may hinder your chances of climbing the charts as high as you otherwise could with a universal app.
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    Never kept black bars as option, from day One.... B-) B-) B-)
  • richiconrichicon Member, PRO Posts: 55
    Do you know of an example video or tutorial that covers this?
    Sorry I don't, it was just taken from things I'd seem around the forums, and my opinions based on the way people seemed to be talking around here. I do remember when universal builds were announced SSS mentioned that it's generally best to start your game at iPad size though.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    It's best to start as a universal app needs to have retina graphics for iPad to meet apple guidelines. As universal means can run on either iPad or iPhone has nothing to do with different iPhone sizes.
  • bjandthekatzbjandthekatz Orlando, FlMember Posts: 1,375
    @richicon This is the video I've been using.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Stretch to Fit is coming as an option from GameSalad. they have been working on it I believe as recently as this week or last week. It is coming and it will make things much better.

Don't listen to everyone telling you how horrible this is going to be on your art. Try it for yourself and decide. Its the only way I go for universal apps. You can make it happen now by playing with the camera settings but it takes some working things out to make it work for your project.