How to make an actor Jump

HipHopOpotamusHipHopOpotamus Member Posts: 1
edited October 2012 in Working with GS (Mac)
Hello GameSalad community,

First thing to say is I have very little knowledge of the programme whatsoever, I have worked out things like gravity, collisions with actors and actor movement. I had an idea for a 'Retro' style Platformer/Shooter game and I hope to, even just gradually, increase my knowledge of the programme until I can complete my project (I expect it to take a while, considering I only discovered this programme yesterday).

My problem however is I cant figure out how to make my actor jump, I am simply trying to get the hang of actor controlling at the moment but I cant find any decent tutorials or learn within the programme how to jump.

My question simply is, how can I make my actor jump? Any help you can offer for a beginner would be great!

Thankyou

Answers

• AdamgoproAdamgopro Member Posts: 310
    to make an actor jump you would need to make a platform for it to jump on so make an actor and name it platform stretch it out to fit the bottom of the screen or any desired area you wish your actor to jump on make the platform none movable.

then you would need to create a boolean attribute which is a True or false attribute this allows you to make a button function for your actor to jump so go ahead and make new attribution name it jump button then make a new actor called jump button place it onto the scene. and in the jump button actor apply these rules : when actor is pressed/touch
    change attribute to true. and in your otherwise area : change attribute to false.

then go into your jumping actor and apply these rules : if jump button is true move/accelerate actor in direction of 90^ otherwise move in direction of 270v you may need to play around with the speeds to get the jumping adjustment right but i dont know how you want it but hope this helps also one more thing make your jumping actor collide with platform.
  • Basic_CrumbBasic_Crumb Member Posts: 1

Can someone else please explain this? I'm new to this and i still have no idea how to jump. The answer given above is not helping at all, and every video i see on youtube is on a mac and i need help on windows

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    edited September 2014

This tutorial should explain it to you:

It's done on the Mac, but all of the same behaviors and techniques work on windows as well.

The video below helps to explain some differences between mac and windows if you want to check it out as well:

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

The tutorial I posted above shows you how, have you watched it?

• 3dgreg3dgreg Member Posts: 6

Sorry, have to agree. Th video posted is showing a jump in the attributes box. Not seen in the free edition,

• liamemersonliamemerson Member Posts: 5

could someone give me a step by step for the windows free edition jumping cause im lost

• expertmcexpertmc Member Posts: 49

I also don't know how to make a character jump, as soon as I find out how to do it I will tell you

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@3dgreg said:
    Sorry, have to agree. Th video posted is showing a jump in the attributes box. Not seen in the free edition,

The attribute "jumping" is something you add. You'll see Jamie adding it in his video tutorial above (about 9:20 minutes into it). You don't have to be a paid/pro member to be able to make your character jump.

• redlionreviewredlionreview Member Posts: 1

I see that you often copy the images on screen. How is that done on Microsoft. Am I clicking the wrong place?

• A924940A924940 Member, PRO Posts: 1
    edited May 2023

i need help on how to jump

im trying to make a game like flappy bird

• uptimistikuptimistik Key Master, Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 253

Hi there @A924940

An Accelerate Behavior at angle 270 to simulate gravity, and a Change Velocity at angle 90 (inside a timer) that when 'Touch is pressed' quickly changes the direction of the actor, making it look like a jump. Hope this helps!

GameSalad Templates and Custom Development at the Official Marketplace: http://gshelper.com