State of GameSalad on 6/30/2015...

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

I'm going to link to my thread explaining the new situation, as a lot of people don't seem to be clear on it.

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/87433/the-new-pricing-system-what-does-it-mean-for-you-an-answer

There are some cases that I don't cover, such as @Socks, or a guy who works on a game for 364 days and then publishes it, who are worse off though. But it gives a pretty reasonable rundown.

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@floatingwoo said:
    But at the very beginning of this thread CodeWizard stated that only pro users will be able to continue using old versions.

I don't see how they will stop you from using old versions. They might make it hard for you to access and download them from the site, just like how non pro users can't see the nightly builds. I can still use them though.

Once they're on your computer you could just rename an old version before you install the latest. And the auto update doesn't really work too well so you've no worries of them automatically overwriting your current version with a new one.

• floatingwoofloatingwoo Los Angeles, Calif.Member Posts: 393
    edited July 2015

@Armelllline Well I have a few pretty good size projects I built around provided templates that are running really well on 12.20 no crashes no lag time, I was reluctant to move up to the newer versions with these because of the newer versions being unstable.And for that matter Ive been running on 12.20 for almost the whole time Ive been using game salad.

@KevinCross said:
    I don't see how they will stop you from using old versions.

You'd have to go back a fair way to a version prior to the forced log-in (which has started making a lot more sense now...)

And even then you'll be limited to non-Pro features, and be unable to publish.

But theoretically yes.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@floatingwoo, I have projects originally created in version 10.5.X of GS that open and 'convert' to the latest version no problem. I don't think you'll need to worry to much about projects created in older version of GS not working in the current version.

At some point that may be an issue if there is some sort of big change in file formats or something but right now I think you're pretty safe. As always I'd work in a back-up copy just in case.

• floatingwoofloatingwoo Los Angeles, Calif.Member Posts: 393
    edited July 2015

@Armelline Ok got it !
    @jamie_c Thanks, my only reason for staying with the 12.20 version was to avoid the problems with the newer versions , crashing, freezing, etc. I understand the latest version is fairly stable? I will make the adjustment.

• stevejstevej Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 435

@saif_shammari said:
    So bad for free users :(
    So good for pro users :)
    But the creator still limited
    If it is improved (joints , custom shape , etc ... )
    It will be worth to pay for it
    Is there any new behaviour they added since the first release ?
    except the loop and buzz behaviours :p

In the nightly (0.14) build, we have AdMob support, turn-based networking, and pathfinding. We hope to make those available in a official release soon. Other improvements are planned.

• francis.charland@videotron.cafrancis.charland@videotron.ca 3D Artist/Generalist Quebec, CanadaMember, PRO Posts: 48
    edited July 2015

@stevej said:
    In the nightly (0.14) build, we have AdMob support, turn-based networking, and pathfinding. We hope to make those available in a official release soon. Other improvements are planned.

Yeah for the Pathfinding :-) Can't wait to give it a good try!
    The new rendering engine for mac also if I'm not mistaken?

I don't see @ForumNinja on the Team page. Did we lose him?

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@floatingwoo, yeah, the latest version is the most smooth and stable I've worked with in a good while.

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

@Armelline ...doing the GS forums seems to be the kiss of death for job prospects at GameSalad... whoever gets given the job doesn't seem to last more than a year... if they're lucky...

RIP... Yodapollo
    RIP... LaurenSalad?
    RIP... SaladStraightShooter
    RIP... ForumNinja?

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@gattoman said:
    When does the 15 day trial start?

The trial starts when you log in with Creator for the first time after we flipped the switch.

edited July 2015

@CodeWizard ... have you guys considered maybe adding a higher tier product? A true professional account for serious Game Dev Studios, which would obviously priced in the thousands, but gives full access to the code, and local publishing builds instead of having to log into and publish through a portal?

Coming from a game studio background, I think your missing out on a serious section of the market, by not targeting Studios more. Most serious studios won't touch a development tool though that they have no control over build publishing, especially one that relies on external servers that they have no control of... or that don't give them access to the code. Which is why it would need those features.

So yup... I think a higher Studio tier, aimed at corporate clients, or users willing to pay a premium for more control/access is something you should consider as an option. I don't know, maybe you've already had such contracts in place with clients, but just not made it public...

I also think having such a version would help to improve GS reputation amongst developers, as currently its still viewed as more of a hobbyist tool, rather than a serious development environment.

Just a thought... something I've suggested in the past....

• WebWarriorWebWarrior Member, PRO Posts: 62

@Armelline said:
    I don't see ForumNinja on the Team page. Did we lose him?

@ForumNinja's still around, he's sitting right next to me! Not sure why he's not on the Team page...

@WebWarrior said:
    ForumNinja's still around, he's sitting right next to me! Not sure why he's not on the Team page...

Duh, Ninja... :)

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@tmann said:
    The_Gamesalad_Guru just to clarify a related point.. Unity 3D Personal is free to publish as long as you make less than 100k.. I know they must be crazy.

@WebWarrior said:
    ForumNinja's still around, he's sitting right next to me! Not sure why he's not on the Team page...

he wouldn't be a very good ninja if anyone could find him.

• bernardo_chuecosbernardo_chuecos Member Posts: 24

Ummm? I don't understand why so many people here are happy about this change. Maybe because most of the people commenting are already pro and can afford this change, but what about the people who can't? To be honest this is probably the worst update ever, and gamesalad should at least have an option to somehow transfer all the code the current users already have to another free engine. I mean I've been working for over a year now in my game and you're telling me if I don't pay 300$ I can't keep on? If you're going to do this you should at least develop an option to let us transfer our code to other engines that are free, for the users that cannot afford 300$, AKA almost everyone who has not upgraded to the PRO version already. Seriously, if we had the money WE WOULD HAVE DONE THIS ALREADY. You are losing everyone that is using the free engine, because we CANNOT AFFORD IT IF WE COULD WE WOULD UPGRADE FOR GOD'S SAKE. Now we are left with two options, to stop developing altogether and let all of our work go down the drain, or wait until someone releases a hacked patch-supported free version of gamesalad. I think most people will go for the latter. Welcome to the world of internet piracy gamesalad, I hope you have a plan for this.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited July 2015

@bernardo_chuecos said:
    Ummm? I don't understand why so many people here are happy about this change. Maybe because most of the people commenting are already pro and can afford this change, but what about the people who can't? To be honest this is probably the worst update ever, and gamesalad should at least have an option to somehow transfer all the code the current users already have to another free engine. I mean I've been working for over a year now in my game and you're telling me if I don't pay 300$ I can't keep on? If you're going to do this you should at least develop an option to let us transfer our code to other engines that are free, for the users that cannot afford 300$, AKA almost everyone who has not upgraded to the PRO version already. Seriously, if we had the money WE WOULD HAVE DONE THIS ALREADY. You are losing everyone that is using the free engine, because we CANNOT AFFORD IT IF WE COULD WE WOULD UPGRADE FOR GOD'S SAKE. Now we are left with two options, to stop developing altogether and let all of our work go down the drain, or wait until someone releases a hacked patch-supported free version of gamesalad. I think most people will go for the latter. Welcome to the world of internet piracy gamesalad, I hope you have a plan for this.

they are not saying you need to pay $300.

you have a few options going forward:

1. finish and release your game in the next two weeks during your trial
    2. pay $19 a month (or $199 for a year) and continue to work on your game. Going on vacation for august? Cancel the subscription for that month and sign back up in september. If you finish your game in october, sign up for pro that month, a $10 increase, release your game and go back to basic in november. there is no longer a yearly commitment!
    3. pay the $199 or $299 fee upfront for a year of access.

gamesalad is now a pay as you go service, but you have to pay to use it.

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@Armelline @Chunkypixels I'm definitely still around :) I don't think I was ever on the team page?

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@ForumNinja said:
    I don't think I was ever on the team page?

Exactly. You're a ninja.

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

@CodeWizard I understand the reason for the business model change and I applaud it. GameSalad must make money to survive and we as users must support the company to have access to the tools you create. Makes sense.

I have to make the same kind of decisions based on what earning potential GameSalad can provide for me. If you look at the Top Grossing titles on the AppStore you will see that there is a common set of features that they all use to get to the top:

1. Play against or alongside other players online; turn-based or real-time.
    2. Server based timer where you can check if an upgrade is complete to prevent cheating.
    3. Facebook login where you appear with your name along with your friends list.
    4. Server based notifications to bring players back to the game after a while.
    5. Ability to invite friends in your game so it can go viral.

I know that some, or most of these, are in the works already, but I don't believe it until I see the first GameSalad games appear in the AppStore with these features enabled. If GameSalad is supposed to be a professional only tool, then we as pro users need these features to make games that can make money. Until we have these vital social hooks working in our games we will never really have a shot at making GameSalad an attractive solution for professional developers. So, I would put these features on top of the to-do list along with fixing the on-device memory leaks and you will be good to go.

@ForumNinja hooray...your still alive :)

Is there anyone else not on the team page that should be?... maybe a quick update is in order, so it doesn't look quite as worrying for the sudden reduction in team size.

I noticed GeorgeGS isn't on the team page either...but saw posts from him up until a few days ago...

Still happy that Mr.Felter is no longer on the team page though. Nothing personal against him... just hold him responsible for most of the dubious decisions and u-turns that have hampered and hobbled GameSalad over the past 3-4 years... I wish him well in future endeavours... just as long as they have nothing to do with me :)

@Chunkypixels said:
    I noticed GeorgeGS isn't on the team page either...but saw posts from him up until a few days ago...

Although I do not advertise my ninja powers they are alive and well. :)

@GeorgeGS yay... another one thats really alive and well... so basically someones not done a good job at updating the Team page? :)

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@bernardo_chuecos said:

If you aren't paying Gamesalad anything, and don't intend to, you aren't making Gamesalad any money. That's kind of the whole problem with the free version... They give and give, and get nothing in return.

Also, someone may "hack" the creator, but uhh good luck publishing without a publishing server...

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@CodeWizard out of interest how many active GameSalad users would you say never or rarely visit the forums? Not asking for specific numbers, just a percentage would suffice.

Just wondering how many people will be updating and opening GameSalad soon to see that they only have 14 days left to use the software and have no idea what it's about >.< If I wasn't a forum visitor and opened GameSalad I'd be like "what the buggery farts?!" after seeing the countdown on the main/first GameSalad window.

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@CodeWizard Why not offering a free package without the publish option? I have zero budget to keep pro at the moment, so I'm basically throwing everything over board when my trial has ended... I have been a loyal pro user for years, and now all of a sudden my gamesalad era is basically coming to an end...

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@Approw said:
    CodeWizard Why not offering a free package without the publish option? I have zero budget to keep pro at the moment, so I'm basically throwing everything over board when my trial has ended... I have been a loyal pro user for years, and now all of a sudden my gamesalad era is basically coming to an end...

Because someone could exploit that, use and develop in Gamesalad for years and then pay for a single month to publish.

A better option would a be a very limited free edition for people trying to learn.

Or a non publishing capable version that requires a 300 fee when your ready to publish, or a 12 month contract.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699
    edited July 2015

@Approw said:
    CodeWizard Why not offering a free package without the publish option? I have zero budget to keep pro at the moment, so I'm basically throwing everything over board when my trial has ended... I have been a loyal pro user for years, and now all of a sudden my gamesalad era is basically coming to an end...

Why are you throwing it overboard? Your project will still work when you have the budget to come back to GS. You can now go month-to-month without penalty, so if anything the product is much more flexible.

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779
    edited July 2015

I can't really comment on this new business model. I just hope Game salad gets the capitol it deserves since its a great engine, and becoming even greater.

Here is a suggestion, maybe a $6 to $10 a month sub for a version of GS without the advanced features like networking and other features not found in the previous free model. No publishing of any kind. As well as no access to nightlies. At $6 to $10 a month, even a no budget person should be able to find the money for that, or at least save up for a month of GS.

@forumninja Now that GameSalad has gone full steam ahead, will there be any plans to ad Amazon's apk like their mobile ads and such?

https://developer.amazon.com/public/resources/promotional-tools/advertise-your-app?sc_channel=EM&sc_campaign=AYA_LandingPage&sc_detail=AYALandingPage&sc_place=AYASpencerEmail&sc_segment=AllSegment&sc_publisher=AMGEmail&sc_country=US&sc_medium=EM_AYA_LandingPage_AYALandingPage_AYASpencerEmail_AYASpencerEmail_AllSegment_AMGEmail_US&sc_itrackingcode=AYASpencerEmail

Although, I am in favor of whatever Gamesalad decides is best for their company, as they need to stay afloat and focus on what brings them revenue such as advanced engine features, keeping up to date with iOS and android so that GS made games don't go obsolete with new updates, and anything else that benefits the users and engine.