Updates 1.24.40 and 1.24.5828 are live

ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554
edited December 2015 in GameSalad Kitchen

Mac Creator 1.24.40 Fixes:

• Fixed an issue that would cause Creator to freeze when the keyboard input behavior was used outside a rule.
    Removed a hidden button.

Windows Creator 1.24.5828 Fixes:

• Behaviors that have an enable ads checkbox now no longer hide the checkbox from non-pro members.

Engine 1.24 Fixes:

• Improved Android performance issues.
  • Fixed some logic issues that were brought about by the last release (note: if you're still experiencing weird behaviors with your project that are new with this release, please let us know so we can fix them).

Comments

• Machinist AppsMachinist Apps Member, PRO Posts: 65

WooHoo!

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Cool, giving it a test tonight.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• Games4lifeGames4life Member, PRO Posts: 279

My project buttons are not working. None of them. When I try and click on a scene at the bottom in preview they don't change. When I click the play button it doesn't go to the desired scene please help!

• 33miles33miles Member, BASIC Posts: 71

Yay! Can't wait to test this one. :p Hopefully my current project will go higher than 20ish FPS on android now hehe! Thanks GS devs. ;)

• wilsongaluchowilsongalucho Member Posts: 180
    edited December 2015

Hello, I've ran some test on Kindle and Samsung S6.

The scene that used to lag seems to run smoothly on both devices.

However something is funny with my animations when running on Kindle, it seems like the animations are running half the frame rate, note this is not lag as I can interact with other actors on the scene with no problem and very fast. I also noticed that the interpolate seems to be running the 2x longer . So I've set something to interpolate for 1 sec now it seems its interpolating for 2 secs. I also noticed something funny with timers, sometimes they stop for a bit then they continue, but only noticed this with the kindle, again I can tell this is not lag as other elements respond fast. All of this was fine before. These things don't happen on Samsung only on my Kindle.

Scene loading times seems fine for me. :)

I hope my info helps optimize creator further.

Cheers

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

@ForumNinja said:
    Mac Creator 1.24.40 Fixes:

Removed a hidden button.

The hidden button on the About screen is officially gone?!

@wilsongalucho said:
    Hello, I've ran some test on Kindle and Samsung S6.

The scene that used to lag seems to run smoothly on both devices.

However something is funny with my animations when running on Kindle, it seems like the animations are running half the frame rate, note this is not lag as I can interact with other actors on the scene with no problem and very fast. I also noticed that the interpolate seems to be running the 2x longer . So I've set something to interpolate for 1 sec now it seems its interpolating for 2 secs. I also noticed something funny with timers, sometimes they stop for a bit then they continue, but only noticed this with the kindle, again I can tell this is not lag as other elements respond fast. All of this was fine before. These things don't happen on Samsung only on my Kindle.

Scene loading times seems fine for me. :)

I hope my info helps optimize creator further.

Cheers

Yep same here on iOS. My animations seem to either play really slowly or as time goes on they speed back to normal.

FPS is back to normal for me however.

• TobyToby Member Posts: 478
    edited December 2015

The speed of the GS Engine has dropped off massively.... noticing everything seems to be in slow motion for me. See the video for an example of the latest GS 1.24.40 and the previous build. https://youtube.com/watch?v=oc7-9JQX6Dk&feature=youtu.be

Not sure removing a button should have this much impact, perhaps it was the turbo boost button :)

Played around with the new creator for a few hours today. Everything there seemed okay I guess. My projects did take a bit longer to initially start up, I don't mean on the viewer I mean opening the file with creator. But unfortunately I couldn't get much true android testing in of my games. :( I used the play store viewer app and it worked but it's a couple versions old and I was still getting under 20 frames per second in a main level which isn't playable, and by the way that level took about 35-40 seconds to load. So I downloaded the new android viewer and installed it on the same device running 5.1.1 OS and couldn't get my game to even fully open! Everytime I used wifi preview it would say that I needed to update my viewer version and would go no further. I then used usb method for the viewer and my games would transfer over but just before it fully loaded over the viewer app would crash! :'( This happens everytime... Is anyone else having this problem? I would love to test using the latest viewer. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Also @Toby is that video you posted coming from an android or iOS build?

Also @Toby is that video you posted coming from an android or iOS build?

iOS builds only

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

I got the new iOS viewer submitted to apple but I ran out of time to get the android view submitted to google play. I hope to have the new version submitted to google play tomorrow . Sorry for the delay.

Thanks @BlackCloakGS can't wait to get the new version from google play! Much easier that way. :p By the way, are there release notes on viewer versions available somewhere? I appreciate all you GS devs hard work! :)

• wilsongaluchowilsongalucho Member Posts: 180

Alright so I'm running a test on my kindle. The animations start out playing fine, but when the scene was suppose to lag the animations go to half the frame rate , but the scene doesn't lag because I can interact with the other actors fine.
    Does the animation FPS change have something to do with a new way GS manages lag on devices that can't handle the game?

The other thing is after it plays the animation half of the rate it suppose to, it carries onto the other scenes where I had no lag at all.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@wilsongalucho said:
    Alright so I'm running a test on my kindle. The animations start out playing fine, but when the scene was suppose to lag the animations go to half the frame rate , but the scene doesn't lag because I can interact with the other actors fine.
    Does the animation FPS change have something to do with a new way GS manages lag on devices that can't handle the game?

The other thing is after it plays the animation half of the rate it suppose to, it carries onto the other scenes where I had no lag at all.

Submit a bug report or hit the blue question bubble at the right of the site here and report it.

• illaciaerikillaciaerik Member, PRO Posts: 26

I have a couple of projects in the works among others a top down racing game kinda like the the old Master System game Action fighter :) Your car speeds from bottom to top of the screen and you steer right or left to avoid and pick up stuff. I had set the linear velocity to 400 and it worked great! I'm almost finished with the game.

After the update everything moves superslow. And when I try to beef up the velocity it goes faster but still kind of sluggish.

Anyone else have this problem? I would appreciate help :)

I have a couple of projects in the works among others a top down racing game kinda like the the old Master System game Action fighter :) Your car speeds from bottom to top of the screen and you steer right or left to avoid and pick up stuff. I had set the linear velocity to 400 and it worked great! I'm almost finished with the game.

@illaciaerik Sounds a lot like what I'm making!

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568
    edited December 2015

I checked it. Still, I have to use 1.23.1

@Toby thanks for the video, this is exactly what I want to show you.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

@onelasttime said:

Maybe the frame rate is more accurate now. Did you try increasing the frame rate. As @socks can tell you, as he did many tests on the GS animate behavior, that the frame rate was very inaccurate. Maybe now it is fixed.

edited December 2015

Still seems to be some issues with overlap and collide and rules firing. sent in a message. But no other issues are present for me in creator. My animations run well et... Haven't tested on devices yet.

• Sas-djSas-dj Member Posts: 46

@Toby said:
    The speed of the GS Engine has dropped off massively.... noticing everything seems to be in slow motion for me. See the video for an example of the latest GS 1.24.40 and the previous build. https://youtube.com/watch?v=oc7-9JQX6Dk&feature=youtu.be

Not sure removing a button should have this much impact, perhaps it was the turbo boost button :)

same here for me .... if you find the solution please let me know

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited December 2015

The following bugs are still present:

Rules broken on subsequent calls if they were triggered on first draw frame

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1509

I see that this is still unconfirmed although easily reproducible. This may have been in for a while, but is probably a cause of many problems where developers use proper game states to control the logic of their game.

Inconsistent MouseButton state detection between HTML5/Arcade and iOS/Android

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1510

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@Hopscotch said:
    The following bugs are still present:

Rules broken on subsequent calls if they were triggered on first draw frame

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1509

I see that this is still unconfirmed although easily reproducible. This may have been in for a while, but is probably a cause of many problems where developers use proper game states to control the logic of their game.

I asked a question on the bug and commented on the thread where it was talked about but never saw a response. I need to know if this is a change in behavior from some older version or if it has always been that way. If it's a change then I can look for when it might have been broken, but if it has always been that way, as I suspect, then it is simply how the engine has always worked. That doesn't mean it can't be changed, but the scope of the task is likely much larger.

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    edited December 2015

@onelasttime said:

@Toby Thanks for the video! Are you noticing this only on device or on preview as well?

We have changed to a fixed rate for each frame of your game (60hz or 16ms per frame). This helps with a variety of issues from physics stability to managing animations more efficiently. It looks to me that elapsed time on your test case isn't right.

We'll grab a copy of your app to see what we can figure out.

@Lost_Oasis_Games That's a good point! The fixed rate rate will make fps consistent assuming that the device isn't overloaded with other processing and losing frames.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@CodeWizard said:
    We have changed to a fixed rate for each frame of your game (60hz or 16ms per frame). This helps with a variety of issues from physics stability to managing animations more efficiently.

Will a fixed frame rate clash with an animation's frame rate ?

By this I mean: if the game is running at 60hz and your animation is running at 30fps then all will be good as each animation frame will spend two cycles on screen, but if your animation is running at - for example - 25fps, each animation frame will spend 2.4 cycles on screen, but of course there is no such thing as 0.4 of a cycle, so I'd guess the animation frames will be shown on screen for 2 cycles, and then 3 cycles, then 2 cycles . . . . . etc . . ?

• dlaimdlaim Member Posts: 110

@CodeWizard I have this problem in the main screen.

This problem occurs in both android device and preview (Don't test it on iOS ).

Device and preview are both showing the animation slow down for me.

• For me GS preview is zzz slow but IOS viewer is fine. Will check andriod

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

If you're having issues with slowdowns make sure to contact customer support (question mark in lower right) and get them a copy of your project.

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

Maybe the frame rate is more accurate now. Did you try increasing the frame rate. As @socks can tell you, as he did many tests on the GS animate behavior, that the frame rate was very inaccurate. Maybe now it is fixed.

I could reproduce this bug only 3 times, i don't know what is the cause but i think engine slows down the animation behaviour to prevent lag, when everything is fine it increases the speed

Except that

So far, I've played 3 of my games on 2 devices (ipad mini&htc one m7) for 2 hours.

I must say, this is the best stable build for ios. Zero lag! I've never seen it before, everything looks smooth.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@GeorgeGS said:

I asked a question on the bug and commented on the thread where it was talked about but never saw a response. I need to know if this is a change in behavior from some older version or if it has always been that way. If it's a change then I can look for when it might have been broken, but if it has always been that way, as I suspect, then it is simply how the engine has always worked. That doesn't mean it can't be changed, but the scope of the task is likely much larger.

@GeorgeGS, I see that it is a problem at least back to v 1.0.0

Maybe speak to @BlackCloakGS , I remember there was a change a while back which involved delaying code execution until after the first frame, which was then changed back again. Maybe it snuck in at that point.

Of course there are more pressing issues at this point, but hopefully it can be resolved, as it keeps rearing its head when trying to teach people structured code, only to find GS then breaks.