Heads up for 1.25 release

Comments

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@quattro i'd care less about release date if i knew they've solved/working on the bug i have

Exactly my point:)!

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779

Bugs are a real pain, and quite challenging to get rid of sometimes. The amount of time it takes to squash them can be variable. It would be dependent on luck to be able to squash bugs within hours of their initial appearance. And if there are too many factors to investigate it stretches into days.

In the future, perhaps bugs will be squished within minutes of their appearance due to highly advanced A.I. assisting the programmer by cross checking everything that occurred when it happened.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@BigDave Just republish using one of the older versions of GameSalad. You don't need to wait for 1.25.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

@Armelline said:
    @BigDave Just republish using one of the older versions of GameSalad. You don't need to wait for 1.25.

I tried to change all xml files in my Project from 1.24.42 so i could open it in 13.33 but that was mega stutter/slow in preview, do i need to uninstall version 1.24.42 or what did i wrong? Before i got 13.30 with no problem at all

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@BigDave said:
    @Approw
    Yep I normally don't bother that much about new release and even wait 2-4 weeks after its out so I am sure there are no major issues before using it.

but this time all these updates and the iAd and google security deadlines coming up..
    I just would like to avoid updating xx Apps twice.

When is the Google security deadline?

Apple is only closing it's internal iAd team, not stopping iAds completely for now, so no worries, you should have plenty time to update once 1.25 comes out, hopefully.

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648

@pHghost said:

@BigDave said:
    @Approw
    Yep I normally don't bother that much about new release and even wait 2-4 weeks after its out so I am sure there are no major issues before using it.

but this time all these updates and the iAd and google security deadlines coming up..
    I just would like to avoid updating xx Apps twice.

When is the Google security deadline?

Apple is only closing it's internal iAd team, not stopping iAds completely for now, so no worries, you should have plenty time to update once 1.25 comes out, hopefully.

Please address this issue as soon as possible and increment the version number of the upgraded APK. Beginning May 17, 2016, Google Play will block publishing of any new apps or updates containing the unsafe implementation of the interface X509TrustManager.

@iamcartez said:
    Please address this issue as soon as possible and increment the version number of the upgraded APK. Beginning May 17, 2016, Google Play will block publishing of any new apps or updates containing the unsafe implementation of the interface X509TrustManager.

This is fixed and the fix backported to numerous versions. What are you still wanting done?

@freneticz said:

@Armelline said:

I tried to change all xml files in my Project from 1.24.42 so i could open it in 13.33 but that was mega stutter/slow in preview, do i need to uninstall version 1.24.42 or what did i wrong? Before i got 13.30 with no problem at all

Have someone got it to work nice when going back in versions?

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239

@Armelline which older version, with good performance would your suggest?
    Also I never tried to open a new file with and older version of the engine anything I have to be aware of?

• DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159

Just imagine how many lines of code GS consist of...squashing bugs must be a pain in the butt :)

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

@Dues said:
    Just imagine how many lines of code GS consist of...squashing bugs must be a pain in the butt :)

Over a million lines of code........

• Terrellort_GamingTerrellort_Gaming Member Posts: 93

How does the font installed?

@freneticz said:

@freneticz said:

@Armelline said:

Have someone got it to work nice when going back in versions?

@stevej @ForumNinja @adent42 Do anybody have any idea?

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Terrellort_Gaming said:
    How does the font installed?

May I suggest that you start a new thread under a different topic such as " Working with GS ... Mac or PC" and someone may respond. ;)

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

Can you please give us an update of whats happening ? Is the stuttering / performance a known issue ? should we expect it to improve in the next build ? I know its hard and you give your best but just an update so we know whats happening , thanks

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited February 2016

Yes pls tell us something. I postponing my new game release for the improved performance during run time , right now some levels stutter some not it doesn't seem to depend to much about the levels more the order in which they are played. Roughly every second level stutters or its dependent on the speed an object/camera is moved.

I think it has a lot of potential and maybe even could get featured, it feels like one of these but with blurry font and this performance issue this are major draw backs.

If it takes to long for 1.25 I will make my own custom font again and will have to launch with the weaker performance or find a previous well running gs version.

But to have an overall picture of where you guys are in your process could help us making our own decisions based on it.

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

The heads up for the update was almost a 1/4 of a year ago :smile: . I'm new around here so i don't have the right to make trouble.

Just wondering if this is the norm?

has anybody have any real success going from 1.24.42 to 13.33

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648

An update would be great! I thought I could simplify things to stop the stuttering but no luck so I've moved on to project 3. Hopefully a release happens before the summer. :smiley:

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

@smurfted ...yes...this is sadly the norm with GS.

Some of us are still waiting after 6 years, for snap to grid and multiple copy/paste of actors in the editor. Still no idea if they're ever going to see the light of day...

We get bursts of activity, then lengthy periods of silence... it seems to be a yearly thing...

@Chunkypixels said:
    @smurfted ...yes...this is sadly the norm with GS.

Some of us are still waiting after 6 years, for snap to grid and multiple copy/paste of actors in the editor. Still no idea if they're ever going to see the light of day...

We get bursts of activity, then lengthy periods of silence... it seems to be a yearly thing...

I think that's a very unfair comment. It was true for 6 years, but the last year has been filled with activity, better communication and a slew of new features.

GameSalad have been knocking feature requests off that list in order of most voted. They've done a lot in the past 8 months. Far more than people give them credit for.

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

@armelline hmmm... unfair or simply the truth? Was there anything in what I said that was explicitly incorrect?

Snap to grid, multiple copy and paste of actors? I know for a fact that Ive been requesting them since 2010... and still no closer to knowing if they're ever going to appear.

And your telling me that its not true about long delays and often poor communication with the users?

The roadmap alone hasn't been updated in over a year.

So yup... they're busy... were not disputing that. But the communication on how things are coming along is the same as its always been....

• quattroquattro Member Posts: 66

@BigDave said:
    Yes pls tell us something. I postponing my new game release for the improved performance during run time , right now some levels stutter some not it doesn't seem to depend to much about the levels more the order in which they are played. Roughly every second level stutters or its dependent on the speed an object/camera is moved.

I think it has a lot of potential and maybe even could get featured, it feels like one of these but with blurry font and this performance issue this are major draw backs.

If it takes to long for 1.25 I will make my own custom font again and will have to launch with the weaker performance or find a previous well running gs version.

But to have an overall picture of where you guys are in your process could help us making our own decisions based on it.

I'm in the same situation :neutral: I just want to know if they are working on a fix or even aware of this stuttering bug.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

I sent them a test project and videos demonstrating performance issues around 6 weeks ago, last I heard it hadn't even been looked at by GS Dev team.

Often times I don't get responses via chat at all, or very delayed responses. No indications whether 1.25 will have fixes for these issues at all, just "custom fonts" are coming.

I love the effort put into GS the pat year or two, but cmon. You can't leave your customers in the dark, at least address the concerns in a general statement or something.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

edited February 2016

@Chunkypixels said:
    @armelline hmmm... unfair or simply the truth? Was there anything in what I said that was explicitly incorrect?

Pretty sure I said unfair. Because, you know, I meant unfair. Your points are ones you and I and others have hammered on about for years, the difference is I'm happy to recognise the areas they've made progress. And there's been a lot of progress. If you want to ignore that so you can keep complaining, that's fine. But don't expect me to agree it's "the truth".

Communication could definitely improve, but it would be disingenuous to suggest they've not been adding long requested features. They just don't happen to be the ones you personally wanted most. They were, however, the most requested ones.

Regarding the communication, I think it says a lot that we expect updates every few days/weeks. What other companies communicate even as freely as GameSalad with their userbase? The list isn't long. I'd definitely like to see more and better communication, and do think there are a lot of times when a simple "We are aware of the issue and investigating it" or "I'm afraid we can't give an eta" would be more than enough and yet we don't even get that. But they're a small team with limited resources and we can't expect them to respond to every forum post. What we should be complaining about is the length of time bug reports sit unconfirmed for. Issues reported on the forums we can have no expectation for them to acknowledge. Issues report via bug reports we know they see 100% for sure.

And they should really just take the roadmap down if they don't intend to update it so people can stop banging on about it.

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    edited February 2016

GS is a very small team trying to keep up with a fast moving business.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@Armelline said:

Communication could definitely improve, but it would be disingenuous to suggest they've not been adding long requested features. They just don't happen to be the ones you personally wanted most. They were, however, the most requested ones.

Regarding the communication, I think it says a lot that we expect updates every few days/weeks. What other companies communicate even as freely as GameSalad with their userbase? The list isn't long. I'd definitely like to see more and better communication, and do think there are a lot of times when a simple "We are aware of the issue and investigating it" or "I'm afraid we can't give an eta" would be more than enough and yet we don't even get that. But they're a small team with limited resources and we can't expect them to respond to every forum post. What we should be complaining about is the length of time bug reports sit unconfirmed for. Issues reported on the forums we can have no expectation for them to acknowledge. Issues report via bug reports we know they see 100% for sure.

Agree with most of that.

Just wish we had a good stable build inbetween features.

Right now for a lot of people, the last build they can use without major issues is around 3-4 months old.

I'm fine with an update every quarter or heck even every 6 months, but you gotta have it be stable if you want people to be patient.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@lycettebros said:
    GS is a very small team trying to keep up with a fast moving business.

I hope fast moving doesn't mean falling! >:)

• owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know. Member, PRO Posts: 236
    edited February 2016

I think they've been doing pretty great overall. Things were moving very quick and then recently it's bogged down a bit, but that happens sometimes. It's tough that there are a few things that feel basic that still need to be done, but the fact is, all of us are still using gamesalad. If it were that horrible, wouldn't we have switched to something else? I mean we all have things that drive us a little crazy at times. We all want fonts and I'm dying for the day we get nearest neighbor scaling. (vote here: http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1095 ;-) )

I feel like I'll probably have to wait another month or two before I can release my game because of this font thing, but I'm still here, because this is still a program I straight up enjoy using.

• drizzlingdrizzling Member, PRO Posts: 101

Still waiting 1.25 ... If 1.25 will take really long... is it possible to release 1.24.43 at least just so to fix the bugs (in my case major bug is table cell value).. so that I can release a workable update for my game...

I just select to put my game salad subscription on hold for one month so that I wouldn't be paying subscription for nothing... just sharing incase they are some who are also affected and doing nothing but still paying subscription fee...