Heads up for 1.25 release

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@KevinCross said:

@Terrellort_Gaming said:
    I just don't get how GameSalad forum is monitored by kids playing battlefield.

Big kid here that plays Battlefield. ** Waves **

Then we need to play together. ;)

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@Terrellort_Gaming Best engine, no. Easiest engine to work with, yes!

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited February 2016

@Braydon_SFX said:

@KevinCross said:

@Terrellort_Gaming said:
    I just don't get how GameSalad forum is monitored by kids playing battlefield.

Big kid here that plays Battlefield. ** Waves **

Then we need to play together. ;)

+1 This already lives on the Mac. It's just hidden, but if you have an old file with it enabled you can access it in any current Mac creator version.

My personal opinion is they should reenable it as they own playstogether and this could add revenue without raising the monthly fee. As you need to pay for the backend via togethergames. After 1.25 it would be a logical step to boost revenue to me.

@Lost_Oasis_Games - I think you misunderstood me. :)

Though, having the system back would be nice

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@Braydon_SFX said:
    @Lost_Oasis_Games - I think you misunderstood me. :)

Though, having the system back would be nice

Ah..now I see..lol... But I must say, I've been testing it for months and can only find one minor bug and that is the display text not updating when data is passed other than that it works great. I know you can't publish yet so not sure what is involved with that. But to me the potential revenue is right there and for Mac most of the heavy work is already done. I know they want parallel builds but sometimes you just need to adjust. I know I have a 20 video series ready to go and online and that GSHelper has templates ready and waiting to go. It's all there.

• Terrellort_GamingTerrellort_Gaming Member Posts: 93
    edited February 2016

"Removed"

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

What I'd love to see make a reappearance is the Facebook share option we had in a daily build but never made it to the stables!

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Looks like the 'new priorities' are the education market. See the new home page...

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@jamie_c said:
    Looks like the 'new priorities' are the education market. See the new home page...

I was thinking exactly the same thing.
    If this is the case I hope new features will continue to be added so that it remains a viable production tool too, particularly those that help with monitization (new target markets and the much needed rewarded video ads in particular!)

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited February 2016

@DigiChain said:

@jamie_c said:

I was thinking exactly the same thing.
    If this is the case I hope new features will continue to be added so that it remains a viable production tool too

I hope so, i'm on the last leg of development on a 4+ year project with 20,000+ man hours poured into it, quite possibly the largest GS project to date. All this news has me on edge, really don't want to switch engines if I don't have to because that means another couple years of rebuilding >.<

Hope .exe is still on the horizon too.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@DigiChain it is already said that reward video ads will be coming with 1.25.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

If this is the case I hope new features will continue to be added so that it remains a viable production tool too, particularly those that help with monitization (new target markets and the much needed rewarded video ads in particular!)

I'm sure GS would want to keep it a viable production tool as well. I think the big hook is if you can get students using and learning your software they will be more likely to carry that with them into the professional world. Like Adobe who has done a masterful job of getting their software into the hands of nearly every student...

@MentalDonkeyGames said:
    @DigiChain it is already said that reward video ads will be coming with 1.25.

Really? The last I heard on this was that BlackCloakGS & SteveJ has discussed how to integrate them... but since they are no longer on the team I'm not sure reward videos will be coming in this release.

It was announced at the last meetup that video reward ads are going to be in 1.25.

@Braydon_SFX said:
    It was announced at the last meetup that video reward ads are going to be in 1.25.

Awesome! I stand corrected then, and happily so!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@jamie_c said:

I thought this was the stated goal from a long way back - a move towards GameSalad a way to familiarise yourself with the concepts involved in coding.

Even if the new priority is to target students and education, i don´t get what it has to do with cutting loose BlackCloakGS and SteveJ.

Mental Donkey Games

@MentalDonkeyGames said:
    Even if the new priority is to target students and education, i don´t get what it has to do with cutting loose BlackCloakGS and SteveJ.

There is no indication that the two things are connected as far as I'm aware ?

@Socks said:

@MentalDonkeyGames said:

There is no indication that the two things are connected as far as I'm aware ?

From CodeWizards post:

"It's true that SteveJ and BlackCloakGS are no longer with us. Our priorities have shifted and we had to make staffing changes to accommodate that."

So to me it sounds like those two things are connected.

Mental Donkey Games

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    edited February 2016

IMO the latest pricing model is not compatible with the edu environment. I used GS in class with the free license and this introduced the engine to 100 students. Now the 15 day thing makes it impractical.
    There seems to have been many attempts and reactions to marketing in the past. I can't really say how effective it is- they have the data, I can only hope it is improving sales.

I thought this was the stated goal from a long way back - a move towards GameSalad a way to familiarise yourself with the concepts involved in coding.

You're right, it was. But it was just moved to a prominent position on the homepage today so I made the jump in assuming they are perhaps focusing even more on it than in the recent past.

edited February 2016

//

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

@lycettebros said:
    IMO the latest pricing model is not compatible with the edu environment. I used GS in class with the free license and this introduced the engine to 100 students. Now the 15 day thing makes it impractical.

There is an educational discount. I personally use it for my individual license.

There is also an educational discount for a site license. But I just encourage my students to buy the monthly subscription for a four-month semester. So far, most of my university students are glad do it this way.

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

@RThurman said:

my students

I didn't know you were a professor! My respect. B)

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

Gamesalads making me Kanye stressed I really hope .25 makes it and is the Kanye best :)

Just trying to lighten the mood here :/

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@jay2dx said:
    Gamesalads making me Kanye stressed I really hope .25 makes it and is the Kanye best :)

Just trying to lighten the mood here :/

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

Haha :) well I've just saw the new .25 preview video in the other thread so I can sleep tonight!

• msx88msx88 Member, PRO Posts: 27

I just want to stay optimistic regarding the recent staff changes and GS will continue to improve in the near future. I hope it will stick around for a very long time.

As a game designer/developer, the most important factor in GS for me would be rock solid performance that can keep up with the latest devices. The addition of extraneous new functions(whatever they may be) can come at distant second...or even further down the list.

Thank you for all your hard work and I look forward to the next release.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@jay2dx said:
    Haha :) well I've just saw the new .25 preview video in the other thread so I can sleep tonight!

I was so dejected that I didn't check the forum for two days... You outta see the bags under my eyes now! :sleepy:

• Terrellort_GamingTerrellort_Gaming Member Posts: 93

very good. optimistic thinking brings better in life.