Heads up for 1.25 release

Comments

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

im trying to stay optimistic but the slow creator and really bad performance on my Android is killing me :(

edited March 2016

Any new info about 1.25 or maybe a "quick" fix on 1.24 for better performance(so we can update our apps) @ForumNinja @adent42

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@freneticz said:
    Any new info about 1.25 or maybe a "quick" fix on 1.24 for better performance(so we can update our apps) @ForumNinja @adent42

I just gave you all the info on Saturday. They are working on things. You'll just have to be patient. It is what it is. They have a list of bugs to fix and they are working them in order. The new sleep option and such will help with performance. I'm going to do some android tests today with some older projects and will let you know what I find.

What I am finding with possible stuttering is you need to pay close attention to your code order and code order in layers. As they tighten up the code Gamesalad gets less forgiving. It's important you pay attention to the basics of scan and code order. bugs most times allow you to get away with bad code practices. As they closeup bugs this will expose those things. This was true when they closed the bug that used to allow you to address table row/column zero. Now doing that causes crashes as there is no zero row column. As things get tighter you're going to have to step up your knowledge of writing proper logic. I haven't come across the stuttering issue with any of my projects, some as old as two years and very code heavy games. You need to write proper logic to have great performance period.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

@Lost_Oasis_Games Not really i dont think it has something to do with code , even if you put on a simple game the result is still the same, i put an actor and key to move and it stuttered , but if you saay it doesnt stutter now that means they fixed it great !

@Icebox said:
    @Lost_Oasis_Games Not really i dont think it has something to do with code , even if you put on a simple game the result is still the same, i put an actor and key to move and it stuttered , but if you saay it doesnt stutter now that means they fixed it great !

I disagree hopscotch and I just had a discussion about all this this weekend. If you have a game that relies on precise performance and timing improper code order in both actors of layers can cause stuttering and lag. I'm going to do a video showing my multitouch template and how simply by moving one actor in the layer causes the game to break. You can't this order your logic and place code randomly around without considering the firing order and not have good performance .

edited March 2016

@Lost_Oasis_Games i know what you mean but tell me whats complicated about touch to move ? why does it stutter ? its only one actor , and why wasnt it stuttering for the past year , i didnt change anything in my project , it only occured with this build , i have several copies of my projects , why does it only stutter with this build ? its not general performance , its the stuttering only.

EDIT: Even if you put anything like an actor with a motion linear velocity of 50 and you keep it moving with a control camera , it stutters, it stutters on my galaxy s5 and s4 , it stutters on iphone 5s ( adhoc ) not viewer. so i think there is something wrong its not only with code. But I always follow your videos im not saying your wrong im just saying this time its different.

• skottskott Member Posts: 172

I say stuttering is happening in this build. Even with the most simple project the stutter is showing. I even posted an example earlier in this thread. A very simple project showing stuttering.

I have never seen stuttering like this in the 6 years I've used GS, and I've been using it a lot :)

I think it is also noteworthy that many here on the forum is saying they see the stutter. Projects that have been working, suddenly stutter. Including all of my projects, old as new, both with simple code and complicated code.

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

I disagree hopscotch and I just had a discussion about all this this weekend. If you have a game that relies on precise performance and timing improper code order in both actors of layers can cause stuttering and lag. I'm going to do a video showing my multitouch template and how simply by moving one actor in the layer causes the game to break. You can't this order your logic and place code randomly around without considering the firing order and not have good performance .

Just to give a quick example im not sure if its gonna show on this video though , but it shows the stuttering on my phone and its on samsung galaxy s5

and this actor only has a rotate behavior nothing more or less yet it stutters

Now im not rushing things i am patient and im willing to wait for 1.25 for its amazing new features , but just to show you that its not about the logic or code order in this case only.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

I say stuttering is happening in this build. Even with the most simple project the stutter is showing. I even posted an example earlier in this thread. A very simple project showing stuttering.

I'm seeing this too in Creator in my current project. An object simply moving around the screen with nothing 'fancy' going on sometimes appears to stutter. I'm assuming it will be fixed in an upcoming build as these sorts of things typically are.

I also imagine it won't happen on the device, but I haven't tested this yet to be sure.

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@Icebox Try to constrain the camera to the player instead of using the control camera behaviour. Maybe this will solve your issue for now?

. > @Approw said:

@Icebox Try to constrain the camera to the player instead of using the control camera behaviour. Maybe this will solve your issue for now?

I just put an example above , im not rushing things really im waiting for the new build but just to give an example of how simple things can cause it to stutter , like a rotate behavior so it has nothing to do with code order or logic

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@Icebox I see, did you also encounter the stuttering when you build an .apk? The viewer is not the most reliable way of testing and debugging the game. If it also occurs in the apk then it's a sirrieus issue.

@Approw When i build an apk its more stable but still stutters every few seconds, on android viewer every second , apk every 2-3 seconds , with the iphone its the other way around , the viewer works fine with no problems but once i test it with adhoc it stutters alot . I have my game on hold until the next release which i hope they work it out, they did mention that they are working on a fix so its just a matter of time.

edited March 2016

For me its 10 times more stuttering on device then in creator/preview. @jamie_c please try on device
    @Lost_Oasis_Games i promise you its not only a logic problem, i miss 13.30 there i have no issues at all

• quattroquattro Member Posts: 66

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1600

Stuttering bug is confirmed guys.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

The stuttering is definitely new and not explicitly inefficient logic related. I have projects that were fine in the previous build and started stuttering in 1.24 with no changes to the logic made.

• skottskott Member Posts: 172

@quattro said:

Ah thanks. Did not see this, even its my own bug report :)

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@Armelline said:
    The stuttering is definitely new and not explicitly inefficient logic related. I have projects that were fine in the previous build and started stuttering in 1.24 with no changes to the logic made.

@quattro said:

Yep.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited March 2016

@Icebox , I just cannot recreate your findings. This does not mean I do not believe you. It just means the cause is probably quite individual in nature and GS needs as many test projects and details to get to the bottom of it.

Here I have thrown 48 rotating actors onto the screen. 16 rotate by timer, 16 by rotate behavior and 16 by a constraint. No stuttering in creator or device on v1.24.

The only time I ever had stuttering, was when I opened an old project in 1.24. I saved it out and reopened it and all was fine.

I also have a very heavy project, constant table processing and checking, loads of spawns, timers etc., even blending modes, without lag.

All I can say is send your projects to GS to look at, if the issue is so individual.

edited March 2016

@Hopscotch I agree. It seems to be sporadic which is strange. It has to be something very specific causing the issue. I haven't seen any stuttering in any of the recent builds. I use the Mac build so I can only speak to that. How many people who experenced the stuttering are using control camera?

• DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    @Hopscotch I agree. It seems to be sporadic which is strange. It has to be something very specific causing the issue. I haven't seen any stuttering in any of the recent builds. I use the Mac build so I can only speak to that. How many people who experenced the stuttering are using control camera?

I do. The wierd thing is when i run the adhoc with xcode instruments i get a solid 60fps with no drops, not even when it stutters the most.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@Dues, @Icebox, @Armelline

where do you get stuttering? In Preview and on the viewer? iOS or Android? Windows or Mac? How recent is your machine/device?

Lets get some specifics to find a correlation.

My heavy project up top also uses the camera for effects without issues.

@Hopscotch
    The stuttering appears both when previewing in creator and on adhoc.

Tested the adhoc on my iPhone 6 and my iPad air.
    As for my computer it's a 21.5 inch, mid 2011 iMac running Yosemite.

Okay I was wrong. Thanks to @Hopscotch for showing me I should have put some markers on scene.

@Hopscotch I'll see if I can do it tomorrow. Im on my phone right now.

edited March 2016

@Hopscotch I really dont think its regarding my project cause all i did was throw an actor and add a rotate behavior , nothing else in the project, was your test on android device ? if it is then i dont know how it doesnt stutter with you cause i have 3 android devices and the stuttering doesnt stop at all. The creator is fine my problem is mainly with android devices and adhoc