Ufo war:galaxy battle - In development - Need you opinion

jollydojollydo Member, PRO Posts: 20
edited March 2016 in Announce Your Game!

Hi guys, nice to meet you! I'm Martijn from the Netherlands. It's my first time here and my first GS game :)

So.. I'm making this game called Ufo war:galaxy battle for iOs and later for Android.
It's gonna be a premium game. I hope you can help me out with this game?

Questions I have:
- Is the game premium enough already ($1.99) or does it need extra features?
- What do you think about the gameplay? (cursor clicks in the video are finger touches on devices)
- Do you have any idea's how to improve the game?

-> All suggestions are welcome! Maybe some of you guys like to be a Test Flight tester? (info@jollydo.com)

In Ufo war:galaxy battle, your reflexes and speed will be put to the test! Get ready to be attacked by kamikaze UFOs.
Survive as long as you can and try to improve your score with each game!

Ufo war:galaxy battle is the free 3D arcade space shooting game that combines speed and reflexes.

Features:
* Destroy enemies by touching them with your finger
* Use bombs and force fields
* Several game modes
* Unique background, every time you play a game
* You earn points for every destroyed UFO
* Unlock Achievements
* Enter the Leaderboard with your best score

Comments

• dimsdaledimsdale Member, PRO Posts: 495

looks nice!!

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

Looks great ! I love it .. the game play looks fun .. sound effects are great and my only concern would be if its too easy or not but good job

• jollydojollydo Member, PRO Posts: 20
    edited March 2016

@Icebox thanks. The speed of the game increases continuously. It's hard to reach wave 10 :-) Each wave is a little more difficult (faster) then the 1 before that.
    I think I will make a 2nd video showing the game with the speed up a lot more.

Someone has an idea for a 3rd game mode? Or some extra feature in each game that would be awesome?

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@jollydo, it looks and sounds great.

Here is what would make it worth the 1.99 for me:

When firing, add a good deep explosion sound a split second after the lazer sound, if an enemy was hit. If it was a miss, just play a muted variation of the lazer sound.

MUCH bigger explosions! I think on a device your finger would probably cover most of the explosion animation, hiding what I came here for.

Also, some debris shooting out from the explosion.

A short burst of camera shake maybe? :)

@Hopscotch thanks for the great advice. I hear you. I will implement your suggestions!
    By the way: there is a subtle camera shake with every explosion, but probably too subtle right now (and the video does not show it very well). Thanks!

edited March 2016

@jollydo, I looked at the video again and realized why I did not notice the camera shake before. It is not that it is too subtle (in fact I would not make it stronger), the problem is that there are too few reference points when your eyes are following the enemies off center. If you keep looking at the middle of the scene, then the camera shake is quite noticeable.

Have you tried a short zoom effect instead? Maybe that could be more effective in this instance.

@Hopscotch hmm, i think you are right. A zoom effect would probably be better. I will test some camera effects :-) Thanks.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

Love it. Well done.

Power ups? Blows everything on screen.
    Power up. Wider fire area.
    Power up. Help. Alien shoots some enemies for you.

A little alien laugh when you die. This irritates player to want to play again again and kill more aliens. ????

Boss alien.

Just ideas. Game is solid as is.
    Well done.

edited March 2016

My answers like this ->

Power ups? Blows everything on screen.
    -> already in the game, this is the bomb (3 per game), if that is what you mean.

Power up. Wider fire area.
    -> all explosions and effects will be much bigger in the next update :smiley:

Power up. Help. Alien shoots some enemies for you.
    -> Not sure what you mean?

A little alien laugh when you die. This irritates player to want to play again again and kill
    -> Brilliant! Never toughed of this, will implement this!

Boss alien.
    -> I will try something

Thanks a lot for your ideas, will probably make the game better!

@Hopscotch
    @gattoman

Ok guys, thanks again for helping me. The game got an update. Please check the video. better now right?

@jollydo

YES, explosions look awesome! Love the sounds too, especially the approach sound.

I also like the different modes.

Good job!

ok, the changes I made (2nd video) are:
    1: bigger explosions
    2: 'boss battle only' game-mode added
    3: laughing alien at gameover scene :-)

Next updates will be: ( @Hopscotch thanks for this! )
    1: adding better ufo waves, to make the game feel more like a game
    2: adding multipliers and try to keep them as long as possible :smiley:

Martijn (Jollydo)

Nice. Good job.

@jollydo good job man looks really great ! much better now. Good luck with it

edited April 2016

ok guys, like @Hopscotch and @Icebox ... here's the video of the 3rd big update:

• So now there is more rhythm to the waves of UFOs, making them feel more intelligent and making it way more fun to play.
    • Multipliers added. Preserve them as long as possible to keep additional scores. If you miss a UFO you lose the multiplier. B)
    • Better cam zoom effect when shooting, to give shooting a more snappier feeling.
    • Robot voices added :-)

Looking great @jollydo

Love the multipliers and quasi formations.

I think the camera zoom can still be snappier, shorter duration, especially the initial zoom-out.

Also, try altering the pitch of the lazer and explosion sound by a small random value, just a little, to break the sameness of the sounds. Maybe even vary the volume a tad.

I know I am a pain.

edited April 2016

I can't help myself, really like this game...

If you feel like it, try switching the camera zoom-out-and-back-in to first-in-and-then-out. May feel more natural. :)

edited April 2016

Thanks a lot @Hopscotch :-)
    "Also, try altering the pitch of the lazer and explosion sound by a small random value, just a little, to break the sameness of the sounds. Maybe even vary the volume a tad."
    -> I already does, but probably needs it more so you can notice it better. Will do.

"If you feel like it, try switching the camera zoom-out-and-back-in to first-in-and-then-out. May feel more natural."
    -> I will change it, it is wrong now indeed, must be inversed :-) it was like this before but was somehow changed wrong by me... more coffee please.

What do you guys think of the look of the game, especially the UFO's. Good enough?

Martijn

@jollydo said:

What do you guys think of the look of the game, especially the UFO's. Good enough?

I like the UFO's. Style, sound and game-play fit well together.
    Maybe the beautiful menu is a little too slick and serious for the game?

@Hopscotch do you mean all interface items, so the buttons and panels?

@jollydo,

the overall appearance of the menu seems very slick and serious, in contrast to the more playful look of the game scene.

Maybe all it needs is a hint of color on the background of the "mode" panes, in stead of the grey?

@jollydo looking good , really impressed with the update ! good luck with it

edited April 2016

ok round 4 :#
    What is improved:

1. New title screen interface! Now it fits the overal look of the game better.
    2. In the game itself: added a window border, so it's more clear you're playing the game behind a window (of your spaceship).
    3. More variation in pitch of laser-shooting sound
    4. Improved ufo waves
    5. Added 1 of my own soundtracks to the game, this one fits best :-)
    6. Added achievements. The big yellow 500 gem is a bonus and only added to the game when all achievements are unlocked.

ps: i know the laser sound is missing when shooting the ufo boss balls. fixed it.

@Hopscotch @Icebox I don't you don't mind mentioning you again, since you're a great help. What do you think of the changes?

Anyone else? How's the game looking so far?

• RetropixRetropix Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2016
        Hey! This looks great and loading times seem fast. You're in the right track, maybe add one or two more spaceships with different mechanics and start filtering them to the game while the player progresses. You could also add some polish like animated backgrounds (stars flickering, sun shining, space debris) maybe some pulsing red lighting to the frame when you're low on health to simulate danger or some bigger ship chunks flying off when you explode them. This is my constructive criticism :). Good luck!

@jollydo awesome , i love it , i think you nailed it here , if you can think of something creative to make it a bit harder that would be great cause based on what i see now(from the video only) its still easy . But i love the effects and graphics great job , i cant even tell that its your first game :)

Hey @jollydo, yep, love all the changes. Menu looks great and fits the game perfectly.

Personally not too sold on the window border though. Wonder what others think. @Icebox?

Regarding the difficulty, I like the fact that it is more a zen-like game.

Good job @jollydo !

@Hopscotch @Icebox The game really becomes difficult. the game speed increases continuous, after about level 5 it it becoming way more intense. I myself have trouble reaching level 10! It is not suppose to be a zen game... Next video will show the intensity more ;-)
    @Hopscotch without the window border, is it then still clear you're "behind the glass" in the spaceship? Or is that not important to know for the game? My neighbor kids asked me where the white spaceship is in the gamemode 1 game, cause you see it in the titlescreen but not appearing in the game itself. Is that confusing maybe?
    @Retropix great ideas, i will try to implement all of them. thanks!

edited April 2016

@jollydo said:
    @Hopscotch without the window border, is it then still clear you're "behind the glass" in the spaceship? Or is that not important to know for the game?

I think it is not important to the game personally.

If you keep it, you should incorporate a parallax effect between the space (planets, etc.) and the screen. Meaning the screen should zoom at a larger or lesser amount (not sure which yet) from the outside space.

Currently the screen frame makes everything look flat, especially when explosions (camera zoom) happens.

Don't like the window frame.