I just read on linkin codewizard no longer works for gamesalad.

Comments

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited May 2016

Good news imo... he's a bully, blackmailer and has limited people and business skills.

I predicted 3 months ago GS would go under soon...I wonder?

Let's take one example of bad business, they handed their marketplace to a rival site GSHelper going from 70% of sales to 15% crazy move when you hold the email addresses of your members, it was a we can't be arsed to make money attitude, let's not bother doing a mail shot to tell our members about the great templates we have for sale.

They wasted 6 years and 8 million dollars of investment as we still have a product that's far below par.

• DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159

Maybe that's why it's been so quiet the past week.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Hmm...

Follow us: Twitter - Website

@UtopianGames said:

I predicted 3 months ago within 3 months GS would shut up shop...I wonder?

I sincerely hope not, i'm 5-6 months from finishing a 5 year project, something i've invested an extremely significant amount of my life to. I'm not even sure what i'd do if GS goes under...

For the love of all that's good I hope if things go from bad to worse that the server side generation code is at least made public so we can publish our games.

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited May 2016

Im not surprised if Codewizard is no longer at GS... I think the whole Graphene situation was a waste of resources and a debacle that seriously put the whole of GS in jeopardy...

I do however hope that this doesn't mean the demise of GameSalad.... but yet again, it looks like were about to be thrown into turmoil.... :(

So does that mean George is our last remaining hero?

agree with @AlchimiaStudios if it is the end, then they owe it to the community to make the software Open Source....

edited May 2016

Its getting rather annoying though that we always seem to find out about this stuff from LinkedIn, rather than from GameSalad themselves. I wonder if we'll actually get some sort of explanation/discussion with GS management on the situation this time around....

I think its long overdue.

@Chunkypixels said:
    Its getting rather annoying though that we always seem to find out about this stuff from LinkedIn, rather than from GameSalad themselves. I wonder if we'll actually get some sort of explanation/discussion with GS management on the situation this time around....

I think its long overdue.

Seriously, I don't know what to think. CEO leaves.

Linkedin shows hes working for "Realms Online, LLC", this appears to be a personal project hes tried to get funded via gofundme.

Gamesalad job page shows a listing for "Inside Sales" focuses on education sales, makes sense with the changes.

But then again, Gs has one web programmer and one engine programmer now...

So what does any of this even mean for us? No new updates and the product as is will be sold as education software?

Someone needs to step forward and tell us something.

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

Steady guys!

GameSalad is a great product.

Its continued existence (and increasing use), despite all the turnover in the last few years indicates that it is a winner and is here to stay.

I plan to continue teaching, learning, and developing with GameSalad.

• RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659

Ummm.... going to hope for the best, but have been worried with the recent changes in staff. Would be nice to know what is going on, many of us have tons of time sunk into projects. @AlchimiaStudios I know you've put a ton into your game.

• KnightStarKnightStar Member Posts: 162

At this point, the best realistic possible scenario is for some larger org to come along and buy up GS and meld it into their fold while continuing to keep the build servers, etc. running. Short of that, I dunno if any investor is going to throw more good money after bad for a 2D Game Engine that has had tons of business trouble for some time now..

Bummer news, none the less.....

-- J

@RThurman said:
    Steady guys!

GameSalad is a great product.

Its continued existence (and increasing use), despite all the turnover in the last few years indicates that it is a winner and is here to stay.

I plan to continue teaching, learning, and developing with GameSalad.

You're right, no use worrying until it becomes something concrete to worry about. It makes sense as a education product so I hope they continue down that path.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Chunkypixels said:

agree with @AlchimiaStudios if it is the end, then they owe it to the community to make the software Open Source....

I agree with both of you on this, but I hope it is not the end of GS.

Making the software Open Source would be the only decent thing to do seeing that many have been so loyal for so long as paying customers, as well as all the veterans who have been helping GameSalad and the community for free.

Another thought just occurred to me... if GameSalad were closing down, we couldn't have this conversation because the Forum would be shut down and the GS site would have just disappeared.

Think about it, if a business is closing down they quietly make arrangements with the creditors and just shut the doors. They don't announce to the customers, "You've got a month to find a new supplier of our product/service because we're going out of business." Unless they are having a closing down sale or a Receiver Manager has been appointed.

What have GS got as stock for a closing down sale?

Come to think of it, I'd gladly pay for a working version of GamsSalad if you could publish from within it!

• pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,211

Oh NO This is a very bad news... :(
    and now for us pro member? nothing news about next updates?
    @GameSalad could you please reply about this thing?

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

As @RThurman says, I plan on continuing using GS too. But it sure would be nice if things would calm down and the drama would end someday!

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

I love GS , please @ForumNinja tell us something about the situation

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

GameSalad has my support as long as it's here for me to support it :D Here's hoping we've got many years left with it!

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

What a sad title

Just for information, if one day gamesalad closed, do they inform us before servers shutdown?

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Sad to see Codewizard go, while at the helm he moved GS forward more in the last year than the previous 5 combined, I wish him well in whatever he does.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

I was waiting for if there was an official announcement rather than commenting on rumour, but as it looks pretty clear that he's left, I'll echo @Sock's comment. He pushed GameSalad forward and a lot of the features we have today are due to his leadership. I wish him all the best in all his future endeavours!

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@Socks said:
    Sad to see Codewizard go, while at the helm he moved GS forward more in the last year than the previous 5 combined, I wish him well in whatever he does.

Agreed. GS made great strides forward under Codewizards leadership, such a shame to see them lose him.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Agree with @socks and @Armelline, he did a lot of good with GS and certainly deserves to follow a path that is best for him. If that is outside of GS then so be it. Best of luck!

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

Hey Everyone, wanted to share this, got it from GS:

You know we're moving more into education, this is not a surprise and we've been open about it. We had an opportunity to work with a local CEO who just became available who has experience with the education market, and at the same time CodeWizard was pretty burned out from being CTO and CEO at the same time for the past year. We're working with CodeWizard to get a contract in place where he can continue working on improving the product for us, but he gets to recharge his batteries and explore other interests as well.

edited May 2016

I hope in a official reply from GS about this situatiuon... what do you mean "we are moving in education"? :(

@pinkio75 said:
    I hope in a official reply from GS about this situatiuon... what do you mean "we are moving in education"? :(

this was right from gamesalad, we got it in the early testers build group. and they just mean the same thing they've been doing for awhile: http://edu.gamesalad.com/

then GS will become a software for kids who want to start the game development? :neutral:

So is that meant to be the official response? Pass it through the testers group and let you guys field any concerns or questions?

At this stage they really need to be open, and talk to the community as a whole, in order to rebuild trust and to dissipate concerns and fears that users might have.

The change in direction to education has been touched upon previously, but has never really been more than hinted at. When asked for clarification, everything went quiet. Its one thing to give limited info to the test group, but they really need to be more open with the community as a whole.

@dgackey @ForumNinja

@Chunkypixels said:
    So is that meant to be the official response? Pass it through the testers group and let you guys field any concerns or questions?

At this stage they really need to be open, and talk to the community as a whole, in order to rebuild trust and to dissipate concerns and fears that users might have.

The change in direction to education has been touched upon previously, but has never really been more than hinted at. When asked for clarification, everything went quiet. Its one thing to give limited info to the test group, but they really need to be more open with the community as a whole.

@dgackey @ForumNinja

official? no, I just asked if I could share it with everyone and got the go ahead. So, while it is right from GS, it's not an offical posting.

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

It's already a tool for people to delve into game development as well as for prototyping / proof-of-concept. IMHO education may represent a more interesting target market than people who for whatever reason are not resorting to a programming language for coding apps. Plus, if you get them in at an early age, they could be a future customer for future products.

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

I agree with @mhedges. GameSalad is a great product for both teachers and students. Its really hits the sweet spot of being easy to learn and (as all the pro users have discovered) a powerful game/simulation development system.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Just bought a school uniform, it's pretty tight, but I just about squeezed in, should have really bought a boys uniform, but it's on regardless.