Free Level Editor

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

I love this tool! Unfortunately some of the scenes in some of my projects just won't open with it. Not sure why!

• MantoManto Member Posts: 796
    edited June 2016

@BigDave said:
    your fix worked well the issue is gone

Great! :)

@Armelline said:
    I love this tool! Unfortunately some of the scenes in some of my projects just won't open with it. Not sure why!

Does the app hang or crash when you try to open them? Can you send me a project with a scene that doesn't open? (without images, etc.)

Also I finally got a chance to test it on Windows. It works just fine. All you need to do is to download the windows.zip (and jre if you don't have), unzip and run the "start.bat" to launch it.

@Manto said:
    Does the app hang or crash when you try to open them? Can you send me a project with a scene that doesn't open? (without images, etc.)

Neither. It just doesn't open. I can only open one scene in the project. I'll try to get you a project file but it's a client project so I'll need to get permission first.

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

Whoa this is awesome!

@Armelline said:
    Neither. It just doesn't open. I can only open one scene in the project. I'll try to get you a project file but it's a client project so I'll need to get permission first.

Alright. Is it the first scene in the project that opens? What version of GS are you using?

@ForumNinja said:
    Whoa this is awesome!

Thank you! :)

@Manto said:

@Armelline said:

Alright. Is it the first scene in the project that opens? What version of GS are you using?

Will PM you answers!

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611
    edited June 2016

Only thing I've noticed sometimes is that you open a scene in the level editor but it's not the correct scene sometimes! I have to sometimes reorder them in GS for it to open the correct scene in the level editor! I can work with that though

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    Awesome!

@Hopscotch said:
    Nice work @Manto !

Thanks!

@jay2dx said:
    Only thing I've noticed sometimes is that you open a scene in the level editor but it's not the correct scene sometimes! I have to sometimes reorder them in GS for it to open the correct scene in the level editor! I can work with that though

This should only happen when you open the project in LevelEditor and change the order of scenes in GS. Is that the case? You need to reopen the project in LevelEditor to update the scene selection window.

• Bowhill GamesBowhill Games Member Posts: 191

any reason game salad are not building these features into the application? ever since I can remember there's been requests for snap and zoom functions

(site currently under construction)
    edited June 2016

@Bowhill Games said:
    any reason game salad are not building these features into the application? ever since I can remember there's been requests for snap and zoom functions

It's much, much harder to build them into the existing app than it is to create a new app to do this. Just like how adding new features to a big game can be massively more difficult than adding the same new feature to a new project :D

I hope it's near the top of their list of priorities, though :D Perhaps they can work with Manto to adapt this one into an official tool!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited June 2016

@Armelline said:
    Perhaps they can work with Manto to adapt this one into an official tool!

Yeah, you could have a button in the tool bar that opens the current scene into the Editor and a button in the Editor that returns to Creator, these would take care of the saving and opening and closing and reverting processes you use to jump between Creator and LevelEditor.

• Bowhill GamesBowhill Games Member Posts: 191

@Socks @Armelline defiantly this is a good tool with features that are very much needed

(site currently under construction)

@Socks Hopefully the work CodeWizard is doing to wrangle the Mac Creator into line will allow them to put some focus into solutions like this.

• zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738

@Armelline said:
    @Socks Hopefully the work CodeWizard is doing to wrangle the Mac Creator into line will allow them to put some focus into solutions like this.

I thought CodeWizard's work on Gamesalad reduced to a minimal amount

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited June 2016
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

I'd like to echo what others have been saying here, and really would like to see GS start working with external users/developers like @Manto to integrate things like this into GS as a fully compatible component of the tool.

It just seems like such an obvious thing to do... it gives GS long overdue interface/editor updates that we've been arguing for, for years, and it comes in a form that helps alleviate the pressure on the constantly shrinking development team. Surely its better to open up and embrace help, rather than ignore it, or even snub it.

Frankly, its an approach that should have been taken years ago... embrace and integrate tools developed by GS users, instead of pushing them away.

@dgackey @codewizard @ForumNinja

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Chunkypixels said:

@BigDave said:

@Socks
    did you make that icon?
    looks neat

It's just a quick edit of the Tables icon.

• ElemetAppsElemetApps Member, PRO Posts: 55

This is awesome! Thanks :)

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited June 2016

Holy shirt, this is freaking awesome! I remember the first version - I didn't expect that you'd improve this tool so much. :open_mouth:

The idea of incorporating this into the Creator is fantastic (I don't think we'll see improvements of the Creator UI anytime soon). I don't know if this makes sense but improvements to this could to a degree be crowdfunded. What about a patreon where we all could give a few dollars for every new feature/bigger update?

Something that came to my mind immediately is this:
    if we were able to change the size of actors directly inside of the tool we could set an actor's graphics in the Creator to tile wrap (for example floor tiles for a jump'n'run). Instead of using multiple actors we could then simply stretch a single one out. This wouldn't only boost performance but first and foremost get rid of some quirks of the physics engine (less edges and corners)

edited June 2016

@Elemet said:
    This is awesome! Thanks :)

@Hoodloc said:
    Holy shirt, this is freaking awesome! I remember the first version - I didn't expect that you'd improve this tool so much. :open_mouth:

I don't know if this makes sense but improvements to this could to a degree be crowdfunded. What about a patreon where we all could give a few dollars for every new feature/bigger update?

I thought about this, and actually set up a page for donations, there's a link in my signature.

Unfortunately I can't make big improvements to the tool for free, because I need money to live, but I'd like to see you users vote and possibly donate if you want a specific feature to be implemented. So exactly what you're saying sound like good way where everyone wins.

Integrating with GS sounds good. I hope they make it possible at some point.

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited June 2016

I hope there are others seeing the insane potential in this. I don't have a lot of money to spend right now, so naturally I'd prefer a way to give recurring smaller amounts as long as you continue to work on this. But this would of course need others in the community to support this too.

I'd love to hear from other users and the GS staff what they think and how your work could be supported.

Considering @jonmulcahy just released the first GS game on steam ever and the general state of the Creator this is the chance to finally get a scene editor that actually works for games that are a bit more complex than clickers or simple highscore games.

• Chris FitsimonsChris Fitsimons Member Posts: 134

Hi. I opened a couple of old projects of mine. When selecting a scene, LevelEditor loads the wrong one. Is this a new bug?

@Binary Computing said:
    Hi. I opened a couple of old projects of mine. When selecting a scene, LevelEditor loads the wrong one. Is this a new bug?

Sounds like the bug jay2dx found. However, I haven't been able to reproduce it, so it's difficult to fix. Do you have a project where the bug exists that you could send?

• YeezyHypeBeastYeezyHypeBeast Member Posts: 60

Wow! This is prefect for a large game

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

I think I'll sticky this thread so that more people can see it.

I'm not sure how feasible integrating this with our codebase would be, but I'll definitely discuss it with the GameSalad staff.

@ForumNinja said:
    I think I'll sticky this thread so that more people can see it.

I'm not sure how feasible integrating this with our codebase would be, but I'll definitely discuss it with the GameSalad staff.

Thanks. That's awesome!

@Armelline I found a bug that caused some scenes not to load at all. It's now fixed in the latest version. Let me know if the scenes in your project open now.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Nice with a sticky on this, this can be the future GS (open source) or at least have good programmers like @Manto to get some help (hope you get something out of it)