Some Reassurance Regarding GameSalad's Future

PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

It is probably not my place to start this thread because there are others with long term credentials and a track record of supporting GameSalad and the community who have some well earned authority. I surely don't.

However, I think the community should do a little searching, as did I, and find out more about GameSalad's new CEO, Brent Dusing.

Please excuse me Brent for pre-empting any statement that you are about to make about your role and the company's future. I posted this because I don't want long standing members leaving in droves and new members being shied off from confusion, or more bad industry press about GameSalad.

Brent, if I am out of place, just remove this thread. I won't be offended. :)

Fellow GameSalad loyalists please read this and search a bit more yourselves. It will truly give you hope about the continuation of GameSalad with a new industry experienced, capable leader who has high standards, solid track record and commendable values. :smiley:

https://findinggodinsiliconvalley.com/brent-dusing-founder-and-ceo-of-lightside-games-from-doing-things-my-way-to-doing-things-gods-way/

Comments

• LivieGamesLivieGames Member Posts: 44

@PhilipCC
    Thankyou will check it out.

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263
    edited June 2016

Not keen on the overly religious angle to be honest @PhilipCC. Let's hope it's "God's way" to get GS management to communicate better with its userbase.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

I have been using and supporting gamesalad for six years. I have supported them with my money, been a pro subscriber for five years back when they started the pro option, I have spend countless hours making video tutorials for free, helping in the forums nearly everyday for five years, I have supported gamesalad through some of their most difficult times. Unfortunately, I've come to my wits end. I put my account on hold for 3 months to see how this shakes out. There are so many unknowns.

I don't think that gamesalad is closing but I wonder about the future.

1. Who will fix the bugs and update for OS changes et...?
    2. Does the education focus leave us outside of eductation a lower priority?
    3. Will the software continue to develop features et...?
    4. Will communication get better?

For myself gamesalad is unusable as I have the OS X update and I am done jumping through hoops to make this software work.

I'll be around but I just can't invest anymore of my time making tutorials, doing streams right now.

I have met some super great people on this forum. I've made some good friends that I chat with outside the forum. I am glad gamesalad brought us together! Here's hoping for the best to you all!

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

So sad to hear another shake up at GSHQ I feel like it's been ground hog day for a year now. Now we get to lose (hopefully only temporarily) another high valued member of the community @Lost_Oasis_Games. I've kept out of the discussions about GameSalads future as I try to keep my role as a freelance developer professional but deep down, I really hope this gets resolved soon. After the last shake up, I started to learn a second tool to cover my bases but as we all know GS is such a great tool and it would be a shame if it decided to shut shop. Who knows what yet another CEO will bring. Let's hope it's a big bag of money and 5 coders to sort this mess out. As others have said, an official statement is long overdue.

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

And @RhiannonSalad too.

@freneticz said:
    Where are all @adent42 @ForumNinja for ex

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

oops, she's gone too.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited June 2016

I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet, but i do feel this is a pretty substantial set back, it'll take months to recover. I could be wrong, but based on the information we have (nothing except people leaving), i think it's fair assumption.

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited June 2016

Im not religious but have nothing against it, i just hope he can steer the ship away from the rocks and doesn't start preaching to us :)

I read last night GS had 3 rounds of funding and raised $10,793,000, where did all the money go?

• luke2125luke2125 Member, PRO Posts: 225

@PhilipCC said:
    It is probably not my place to start this thread because there are others with long term credentials and a track record of supporting GameSalad and the community who have some well earned authority. I surely don't.

However, I think the community should do a little searching, as did I, and find out more about GameSalad's new CEO, Brent Dusing.

Please excuse me Brent for pre-empting any statement that you are about to make about your role and the company's future. I posted this because I don't want long standing members leaving in droves and new members being shied off from confusion, or more bad industry press about GameSalad.

Brent, if I am out of place, just remove this thread. I won't be offended. :)

Fellow GameSalad loyalists please read this and search a bit more yourselves. It will truly give you hope about the continuation of GameSalad with a new industry experienced, capable leader who has high standards, solid track record and commendable values. :smiley:

https://findinggodinsiliconvalley.com/brent-dusing-founder-and-ceo-of-lightside-games-from-doing-things-my-way-to-doing-things-gods-way/

Hi,

Very interesting, especially the article........God Bless.....

Sincerely,

Sunday

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

I really like this engine and I still have lots of great ideas. it'll be done with gamesalad.

I hope, new ceo makes an announcement that will make us happy.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

Is GS going to become a Christian evangelical tool?

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@lycettebros said:
    Is GS going to become a Christian evangelical tool?

They may pass the plate around.

Donationware? ;)

GameSalad needs to try a new approach. :D

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Member, PRO Posts: 486
    edited June 2016

Here's an idea: do unto others. If you take their money, give them what you promised.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

God help us.

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

So in the echochamber that is the Gamesalad forums, where is the official word on what's going on here? In what world does half the paying userbase of a product vocalise their confusions and just simply get ignored. It's bordering on ridiculous, really.

God really does need to help us. Or Lord Brent, whoever can explain the leadership exodus and fix our dead Creator. Please, just explain what's happening!

• Machinist AppsMachinist Apps Member, PRO Posts: 65

I'm probably one of the few Gamesalad GodSalad users that develops on a PC instead of a Mac. When I started 2 years ago the Windows creator was at version 0.10.4. The program was very buggy and crashed every 5 minutes. Now, Windows creator 1.25.54 is the most stable, feature packed build that I've seen. The undo button works great. The exit app feature has finally been added for Android. HTML5 fixes have been implemented so my app works nearly perfect in a web browser, network features have been added, custom collisions have been added, loop blocks have been added, custom fonts have been added, etc...

Back in 2014 Android usage overtook iOS. I don't know about the rest of you, but I see this monthly when I compare my Android profits to my iOS profits. Maybe it's a sign from God(salad) showing us all the path to enlightenment. Maybe we should listen to the profits o:) . Maybe the new CEO is a PC fanboy? I don't know for sure, but I'll take it.

edited June 2016

When did all of this happen? Why aren't they posting on their progress on the Mac fix? It's been what – 10 days, more, now since the issue arose. We're being charged full price for a broken product. The lack of communication is un-nerving.

Hello – management?

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    edited June 2016

@monkeyboy simian said:
    When did all of this happen? Why aren't they posting on their progress on the Mac fix? It's been what – 10 days, more, now since the issue arose. We're being charged full price for a broken product. The lack of communication is un-nerving.

This happens too often. I've lost count how many times the team has changed with little to no communication from GS and radio silence for weeks on end. All you can do is sit tight wait for the fix which will come if they wish to continue receiving money and then wait a year or so for any new features, right before they change the team again.

To be honest I think they love causing panic and confusion amongst their customers

edited June 2016

Have you seen lightside games web site? If that's where this is going, I'm outta here.
    http://www.lightsidegames.com

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    edited June 2016

@monkeyboy simian said:
    Have you seen lightside games web site? If that's where this is going, I'm outta here.
    http://www.lightsidegames.com

Yep and read news articles on his feelings towards non-religious games so it's going to be interesting to see where this all goes if it is the same dude!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/11/18/shocking-clip-shows-kids-talking-about-parents-use-of-uncomfortable-adult-apps-but-theres-a-bigger-message-behind-the-video/

There's money in them thar christians though... interesting. It's like christian rock for the app age. In the end it's all about money. This doesn't look good. Brainwashing is profitable.

Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today... Aha-ah...

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace... You,..

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world... You,..

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one
    :)

Thank-you John.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@KevinCross said:

@monkeyboy simian said:

This happens too often. I've lost count how many times the team has changed with little to no communication from GS and radio silence for weeks on end. All you can do is sit tight wait for the fix which will come if they wish to continue receiving money and then wait a year or so for any new features, right before they change the team again.

To be honest I think they love causing panic and confusion amongst their customers

I'm probably one of the biggest proponents of GameSalad. That being said, I think you have a very valid point about communication. Things were improving but this transition and lack of communication is troubling. Here's hoping for the best...

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

Really not sure why the religious beliefs of the new CEO are being made such a big thing here. It seems unlikely that GameSalad is about to turn into a faith-based tool. If anything, a CEO with strong Christian credentials is going to help in their educational push.

My concerns are twofold:

1. Can GameSalad survive this latest staff loss?
    2. What impact will an educational shift have on us standard game producers?

I look forward to hearing what GameSalad have to say about their future and plans. Let's just hope they don't leave things too long...