Free Level Editor

Comments

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@Manto are this fixes in the windows one too?

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@Manto said:
    @Armelline I found a bug that caused some scenes not to load at all. It's now fixed in the latest version. Let me know if the scenes in your project open now.

Thanks Manto! I'm afraid it hasn't fixed the issue with my project, though :( I'm speaking to my client right now though and we're figuring out the best way to get you a project file to test with!

• Chris FitsimonsChris Fitsimons Member Posts: 134

@Manto Could you let me know your email address and i will send you a download link to one of my projects to show the scene loading issue.

• MantoManto Member Posts: 796

@Binary Computing said:
    @Manto Could you let me know your email address and i will send you a download link to one of my projects to show the scene loading issue.

Sure, sent you a PM.

@fmakawa said:
    @Manto are this fixes in the windows one too?

Yes, Windows version was and will be updated always the same time as Mac.

• Jeffm2Jeffm2 Member Posts: 142

Really Great!!! Now if someone could figure out how to play a sound from the expression editor...:)

• andikmandikm Member, PRO Posts: 26

Wow this is an amazing tool and life saver for me. Perfect if you are building games with one scene that is huge. Now I don't have to double click each actor to check its position and I can hide them as well. Super thanks @Manto !!

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@Jeffm2 said:
    Really Great!!! Now if someone could figure out how to play a sound from the expression editor...:)

Hopefully this will fall under the category of "features that benefit educational customers". Both sounds and spawns.

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

sorry I've been on holiday, will investigate the bug more this week and get back to you all

:)

edited June 2016

Updated:

• Fixed some scenes not opening at all

Note:
    While searching for the cause of some of the bugs I found that the actor instances and prototypes are currently disconnected on save. That means if you want to change color, size or rotation of a prototype, the actor instances won't get changed. This problem exists in all versions of LevelEditor. I will try to find a fix as soon as possible.

• YeezyHypeBeastYeezyHypeBeast Member Posts: 60

You sir are a legend

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

Loving this, if you plan your game level design out its easy to just build your levels and then add in all your code and actors later on! I started a game from scratch, made all the level scenes etc then just level designed from there without going back and forth to GS,

I would love to see a paint actor tool though so I don't have to keep copying actors for level layouts, ie hold the mouse button down and it paint in the last used/coped actor!

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

I have to try this out once the fixes for creator come out.

• quinn221quinn221 Member Posts: 280

I must be doing something wrong, when I open the project, all I get is my scenes...but it will not let me do anything

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@quinn221 said:
    I must be doing something wrong, when I open the project, all I get is my scenes...but it will not let me do anything

You need to double click on one of the scenes.

@quinn221 said:

If clicking the scenes doesn't work, try downloading the LevelEditor again. It was updated less than 24 hours ago to fix those problems. If the scenes don't load with the latest version let me know.

• quinn221quinn221 Member Posts: 280

@Manto said:

@quinn221 said:

If clicking the scenes doesn't work, try downloading the LevelEditor again. It was updated less than 24 hours ago to fix those problems. If the scenes don't load with the latest version let me know.

Ok now it works!

@quinn221 said:

@Manto said:

@quinn221 said:

Ok now it works!

Great!

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

@Manto Just gave this tool a whirl and it is absolutely incredible. Seriously. Zooming and multi actor selection are two creator features I've wanted for such a long time - GS not having them has actually put me off building various games that have complex designs (or just lots of actors) so it's opened up a huge realm of new games to start designing!

As @BigDave said, a banner ad on the tool so you can get some cash would be good. But I doubt you'd make much - do you have a paypal, or patreon account set up? Failing that, do you have an amazon wishlist or something people could buy things off (like books or stuff) if you feel awkward about taking money? Would be more than willing to chip in some cash, and I'm sure that others would too. Especially if it meant we could sneakily ask you to add more features.

For example, being able to access all the actors' attributes, including user assigned self attributes would be absolutely invaluable. I currently have over 100 actors that I have to assign a unique ID to, and I'm REALLY not looking forward to doing it with GS!

@imjustmike said:
    @Manto Just gave this tool a whirl and it is absolutely incredible. Seriously. Zooming and multi actor selection are two creator features I've wanted for such a long time - GS not having them has actually put me off building various games that have complex designs (or just lots of actors) so it's opened up a huge realm of new games to start designing!

As @BigDave said, a banner ad on the tool so you can get some cash would be good. But I doubt you'd make much - do you have a paypal, or patreon account set up? Failing that, do you have an amazon wishlist or something people could buy things off (like books or stuff) if you feel awkward about taking money? Would be more than willing to chip in some cash, and I'm sure that others would too. Especially if it meant we could sneakily ask you to add more features.

For example, being able to access all the actors' attributes, including user assigned self attributes would be absolutely invaluable. I currently have over 100 actors that I have to assign a unique ID to, and I'm REALLY not looking forward to doing it with GS!

Nice to hear you find it useful! I was planning to setup something like donate to get new features, but didn't find a good service/website for that. There's a donate button on the tool's website http://www.mantuapps.com/gscse/full/ that can be used to boost me to work on this tool :wink:

About assigning unique IDs to actors, are you talking about actor prototypes, or instances (the ones that are on a scene)?

@Manto Ah yes, so it is - I didn't even scroll down on the site! Maybe you should move it up a bit higher! Just sent a small amount your way. Hope it helps.

In this case I mean prototypes, but to be honest, being able to select an actor on the scene and see the same attributes as you would in creator would be incredible (colour, rotation etc) as well as anything I've added as a self attribute.

For me I need to manually open every actor on the scene because GS doesn't expose this information until you're 'inside' the actor. When I saw that you were pulling through the width, height X and Y I immediately wondered how easy it would be to pull through more info.

@imjustmike said:
    @Manto Ah yes, so it is - I didn't even scroll down on the site! Maybe you should move it up a bit higher! Just sent a small amount your way. Hope it helps.

In this case I mean prototypes, but to be honest, being able to select an actor on the scene and see the same attributes as you would in creator would be incredible (colour, rotation etc) as well as anything I've added as a self attribute.

For me I need to manually open every actor on the scene because GS doesn't expose this information until you're 'inside' the actor. When I saw that you were pulling through the width, height X and Y I immediately wondered how easy it would be to pull through more info.

Thanks a lot! It does help!

Adding color would be easy, but it will require quite a bit of more logic to see all attributes. Still I see it as a feature that should be added at some point.

The editor doesn't currently edit the actor prototype files at all. Editing prototypes could be added as a feature as well.

@Manto said:
    Thanks a lot! It does help!

Adding color would be easy, but it will require quite a bit of more logic to see all attributes. Still I see it as a feature that should be added at some point.

The editor doesn't currently edit the actor prototype files at all. Editing prototypes could be added as a feature as well.

No worries - the tool has already saved me a couple hours of work, so definitely worth a donation!

Glad to hear viewing and editing other attributes is possible - it would be an incredible improvement to my (and I assume others') workflow.

• -Timo--Timo- Member Posts: 2,313

Great tool and kind of you for sharing! I do have some basic function questions which do not seem to work for me.
    How do you scroll across the scene? the zooming in function was fixed right? It still doesn't seem to work for me.

@timolapre1998 said:
    Great tool and kind of you for sharing! I do have some basic function questions which do not seem to work for me.
    How do you scroll across the scene? the zooming in function was fixed right? It still doesn't seem to work for me.

Thanks!

You scroll the scene by pressing space bar and clicking and dragging (Same as Photoshop). You should be able to click the zoom by clicking view -> zoom in on the menubar. The hotkey should be cmd + plus key, but it may be that you have a different keyboard layout that makes it not work. What keyboard layout do you have? What country?

@Manto said:

Thanks!
    You scroll the scene by pressing space bar and clicking and dragging (Same as Photoshop). You should be able to click the zoom by clicking view -> zoom in on the menubar. The hotkey should be cmd + plus key, but it may be that you have a different keyboard layout that makes it not work. What keyboard layout do you have? What country?

oh haha great thanks! :) I have a qwerty US keyboard layout.

@timolapre1998 said:

@Manto said:

Thanks!

oh haha great thanks! :) I have a qwerty US keyboard layout.

Hmm, that's strange. If I switch my keyboard layout to US, it works just fine. Are you pressing cmd and the key, (I think it's actually equals key on the US keyboard), on the left side of backspace?

Language was actually set to dutch but it's the same layout. also doens't work when I put it to US. I am pressing cmd and the + key at the same time. zooming out with cmd and - works but zooming in still doesn't.
    It's not really a big deal, I can still use it and it's great! would be nice if there is a way to make it work though.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@timolapre1998 said:
    . . . zooming out with cmd and - works but zooming in still doesn't. . . .

I had the same problem, but Manto updated the editor, do you have the latest version installed ?

(and does zoom-in via the menus still work?)

@Socks said:

@timolapre1998 said:
    . . . zooming out with cmd and - works but zooming in still doesn't. . . .

I had the same problem, but Manto updated the editor, do you have the latest version installed ?

(and does zoom-in via the menus still work?)

I guess so. it still says version 1.0 but it looks different. when I open it. it shows a picture of a tree with 2 buttons. open website and open project. this was different before I installed a later version.
    Fortunately the zoom-in via the menu does work.