Vote for GameSalad to Become Open Source

13»

Comments

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187
    edited December 2016

@blob said:
    @ForumNinja @adent42

No updates to the creator until after the webtool is done, which is said to be completed next summer.

This will add up to 2 years without updates!!!

Didn't we get an update this year? Custom collisions and fonts, stable, snappy?

Two products are more exspensive to maintain. Sounds like they only want one.

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229
    edited December 2016

@Toque said:
    Didn't we get an update this year? Custom collisions and fonts, stable, snappy?

Yes we did.
    So by next september, it will add up to a year and a half without update minimum. I rounded it to 2 years, knowing updates always come later than expected.
    Also keep in mind that once they are done with the Web Tool, only then, they will start fiddling with additional fix and feature for us. That will take another 8 month judging from observation. So yes I'd say 2 years.

Two products are more exspensive to maintain. Sounds like they only want one.

@ForumNinja @adent42

Letting a product rot is a market opportunity and monetary waste.
    I tend to think that letting other users have a go at it, see if they can clean it, maintain it and grow it, if not for anything, as an experiment, cost very little.
    I might also keep our community engaged and curious.
    I 'm not asking them to maintain it.
    We got an ok build right now to fold back on.

Let us create an experimental build at least until "back to school" next year.

I do realize it means dealing with millions of code lines and a very complex messy code base and this is likely to fail, but It might also surprise everyone, yet without trying, we are sure to get nothing.
    I wouldn't underestimate the abilities of certain people here. all it take is one or two guys.
    Games Salad coders were hired too they weren't born with special GameSalad coding powers....so others may be just as beneficials to the code base.
    Moreover, i would not underestimate self motivated reasons to improve the software, sometime it's more powerful than a salary incentives.
    Unreal engine lets people fiddle with their code and it's an infinitely more complex software. yet the Unreal team constantly add user created bits and pieces to the main branch....

They are unwilling/unable to take care of our beloved Creator until September 2017 nor interested or understanding of the benefits of a controlled open source model.

So why not giving the keys to an experimental version of the Creator to us, at least until then?

All they need is a disclaimer: download at your own risk. non official Creator build. All right reserved.

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

While the percentages for Yes look awesome (96%) it's sad that the number of people making up the percentage is only 55 :( That's not really a number that GS would ever worry/care about. That's probably a minute percentage of their customer base.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@KevinCross said:
    While the percentages for Yes look awesome (96%) it's sad that the number of people making up the percentage is only 55 :( That's not really a number that GS would ever worry/care about. That's probably a minute percentage of their customer base.

I think the forums are only frequented by a very very small percentage of Gamesalads users. Most, I believe, have not idea the uproar that takes place on the forums on a regular basis.

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    edited December 2016

jostling for a seat on the boat....pro's first!

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598

@jamie_c said:

@KevinCross said:

I think the forums are only frequented by a very very small percentage of Gamesalads users. Most, I believe, have not idea the uproar that takes place on the forums on a regular basis.

The great unheard majority, many of whom I think pass by quickly and will never know what has hit them (or even possibly care) when the effects of the edu pivot become evident. @blob has to try and capture the deplorables somehow.

• clmhclmh Member, PRO Posts: 24

I also voted for an open source solution. I work with Joomla every day and the component/module/plugin system is what makes building websites (even complex) much more easy nowadays. And I agree with @BigDave, I would definitely buy any plugin built by @Socks ...

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

@clmh I wouldnt buy anything from socks , hes only good with sin/cos functions :)

@Icebox Yep, and as I suck at maths I would gladly buy a plugin that does all the magic for me :)

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

I don't know how plugins / extensions work , I think they need to be updated right ? .. If they do i would never want to use any from any developer. I wont be sure he'll be around to update it in the future ... If this is not about extensions and plugins then nevermind this post :)

In the CMS industry (Joomla, Wordpress...), yes most extensions and plugins need to be updated for security reasons (hacking of websites is much more frequent than it used to be) but for simple plugins that just handle "screen display" for example, they are just updated if the developer wants to add more functions to them, so I guess that it could be the case for GS (as long as the hypothetical open source version of GS would be based on a stable architecture that doesn't change every 6 months)