How do you make a short video trailer?

I was thinking of doing a simple trailer for upcoming games. How do you guys do yours? I've googled the question but not sure where to start. I have no video editing skills (much like your games skills eh?). Just looking for ideas or directions to look into.

Thanks
Good day eh.

Comments

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited March 2017

recording it via quicktime from the device and cutting it with imovie

i do not use any effects beside of fades in and out

• quinn221quinn221 Member Posts: 280

I screen record in quick time and use Adobe Premiere to edit...If I want to add in some bling I also use After Effects.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Sounds great. I have imovie. Will look at after effects. Start watching some tutorials on how to use it.

Thanks!

@quinn221 said:
    I screen record in quick time and use Adobe Premiere to edit...If I want to add in some bling I also use After Effects.

Thanks. Will look at it too.

• kianziackkianziack Member, PRO Posts: 28

Try this one

icecreamapps.com/Screen-Recorder/

Just record and upload.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

I use screenflow to record my screen and it also acts as a pretty good editor to add text and effects as needed.

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239

i think bascically dont overthink it. Record gameplay cut it toegther have nice music or a narrator delivering your short message to make them curious

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited March 2017

@BigDave said:

@Toque
    I use Final Cut Pro and Motion because I already have them to produce videos as part of business. But what they cost, along with the learning curve, is not worth it to an indie app developer. The same applies to Premiere an After Effects.

As @BigDave says QuickTime is easy and capable... for free. You can even cut/paste edit within QuickTime.

If you want to add any opening/closing titles or effects, just create them in GameSalad, record them and edit them in.

• RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659

a good practice for trailers:

When record the gameplay make a version of the game with the music volume off and only sound effects.
    That way you can edit the final one over one song and still have sound effects.

@PhilipCC said:

@BigDave said:

@Toque
    I use Final Cut Pro and Motion because I already have them to produce videos as part of business. But what they cost, along with the learning curve, is not worth it to an indie app developer. The same applies to Premiere an After Effects.

As @BigDave says QuickTime is easy and capable... for free. You can even cut/paste edit within QuickTime.

If you want to add any opening/closing titles or effects, just create them in GameSalad, record them and edit them in.

Brilliant thanks

@RossmanBrothersGames said:

When record the gameplay make a version of the game with the music volume off and only sound effects.

Smart tip. Will try these ideas.

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

@RossmanBrothersGames said:

That is a great tip.

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

This list might provide some inspiration for doing a little more than just gameplay.

Granted some are a lot more involved, but simple things like adding text over the top of video, scene changes, a single track across the whole video etc can make a big difference.

@imjustmike said:
    This list might provide some inspiration for doing a little more than just gameplay.

Granted some are a lot more involved, but simple things like adding text over the top of video, scene changes, a single track across the whole video etc can make a big difference.

Will play with it. Nice.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@imjustmike said:

Cool. I'd love to video and edit a production like this, using real exotic cars.

Anyone got the budget for it?

I'll do it at a discount and even bring an Aston Martin. B)

• Chestosneako IncChestosneako Inc Member Posts: 25

What I would do is screen record the gameplay footage on the gamesalad preview screen, then edit and put the clips together along with a narration voiceover to spice it up and make it look like a real TV commercial for your game. Whatever seems more convenient for you though!

@Chestosneako Inc said:
    What I would do is screen record the gameplay footage on the gamesalad preview screen, then edit and put the clips together along with a narration voiceover to spice it up and make it look like a real TV commercial for your game. Whatever seems more convenient for you though!

Tv commercial. Great idea.