Making a splash

Hello,
if anybody here can help me, I'm having trouble with a character touching a platform and spawning another character.
Alright so what I want to do is this: when my character jumps off a platform he falls and touches water, hence loses the game, but I want a splash of water to appear as my character drops and touches the water.
How do I do this?
Basically, the main character touching the 'death' element and I want to spawn an image of a water splash.
Thanks!!

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited May 2017

Is your question about how to draw the splash? Or how to spawn it? One option is to use particles to simulate a splash. Do you have the collision rule working correctly?

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• rainwaterstudiosrainwaterstudios Member Posts: 198

Do you need the splash to interact with any other actors?
    If not, try this method to animate the splash:
    make an integer game attribute 'death' and a new actor containing the splash animation; then create a rule in your character that when colliding with the 'water' actor, change game.death to 1; make a rule in the water actor that when attribute game.death = 1 spawn the animation actor.
    in the animation actor, add a timer that destroys the actor after the animation is finished.

• @Facundo Gioffré - elRatArts said:
    Hello,
    if anybody here can help me, I'm having trouble with a character touching a platform and spawning another character.
    Alright so what I want to do is this: when my character jumps off a platform he falls and touches water, hence loses the game, but I want a splash of water to appear as my character drops and touches the water.
    How do I do this?
    Basically, the main character touching the 'death' element and I want to spawn an image of a water splash.
    Thanks!!

The question is how to spawn it. I have to check but I think it does.

• Facundo Gioffré - elRatArtsFacundo Gioffré - elRatArts Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2017

@rainwaterstudios said:
    Do you need the splash to interact with any other actors?
    If not, try this method to animate the splash:
    make an integer game attribute 'death' and a new actor containing the splash animation; then create a rule in your character that when colliding with the 'water' actor, change game.death to 1; make a rule in the water actor that when attribute game.death = 1 spawn the animation actor.
    in the animation actor, add a timer that destroys the actor after the animation is finished.

Thanks I'll try!

• MelodyCatsMelodyCats Member, PRO Posts: 128
    edited May 2017

@Facundo Gioffré - elRatArts
    something like this?...
    (i don't own the splash animation or sound... just an example)

• @MusicBoutique said:
    @Facundo Gioffré - elRatArts
    something like this?...
    (i don't own the splash animation or sound... just an example)

thanks!

• Thank you all!!!
    I got what I wanted!!!
    Soon enough I'll publish this game!!! And you will all see !!!
    Thanks!!

• Thank you all who helped me with tips...here's the game!!!

'Sumo Skater'

http://gsrca.de/142682

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited October 2017

@Facundo Gioffré - elRatArts Just a suggestion if I may? You have a succession of five opening screens/scenes and it was not obvious to me that I had to tap to progress through them to get to the game play.

I thought my iPad was showing its age, or my WiFi was slow, or GameSalad was doing its well known slow loading act. On each screen I waited and waited for something to happen. I thought the game was stuck or crashed on launch. Finally I tapped to get out of the app, a new screen appeared and I waited again for something to happen? Still nothing... until I tapped once more.

My point is that if you have so many opening screens you need to give the user some sort of prompt that they need to tap to get through them. Put a forward arrow bottom centre or even just a greater-than symbol ">". ;) Better yet, put the title in the splash screen and get rid of the rest because you already have your credits somewhere else.

I've seen movies with shorter introductions. :D

• @PhilipCC said:
    @Facundo Gioffré - elRatArts Just a suggestion if I may? You have a succession of five opening screens/scenes and it was not obvious to me that I had to tap to progress through them to get to the game play.

I thought my iPad was showing its age, or my WiFi was slow, or GameSalad was doing its well known slow loading act. On each screen I waited and waited for something to happen. I thought the game was stuck or crashed on launch. Finally I tapped to get out of the app, a new screen appeared and I waited again for something to happen? Still nothing... until I tapped once more.

My point is that if you have so many opening screens you need to give the user some sort of prompt that they need to tap to get through them. Put a forward arrow bottom centre or even just a greater-than symbol ">". ;) Better yet, put the title in the splash screen and get rid of the rest because you already have your credits somewhere else.

I've seen movies with shorter introductions. :D

First of, thanks for playing the game, and thanks for the feedback.
    Unfortunately the version I've uploaded of the game is a PC/Mac version. I still have to make a mobile version. Which I will soon do.

You know you made a point there, waiting for something to happen and then nothing.
    But from a gamer mind, and in my case personally, when you start a game for the first time, you sometimes want to skip thru the opening credits and press start on the keyboard/joystick. That's why I left it for the player to discover by itself how to proceed.
    But maybe I can add a timer so the screens move itself. Or a continue button.
    You are making me reconsider now!

Also the style of my games is that, my company symbols > presents (each present screen is different because it sets the tone of the game thru the font > the menu > the game.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@Facundo Gioffré - elRatArts said:

First of, thanks for playing the game, and thanks for the feedback.
    Unfortunately the version I've uploaded of the game is a PC/Mac version. I still have to make a mobile version. Which I will soon do.

Sorry about that. I didn't think about the fact that I was using an iPad via the GS Arcade to play your game and that your game was only meant for a desktop.

Also the style of my games is that, my company symbols > presents (each present screen is different because it sets the tone of the game thru the font > the menu > the game.

May be so, but I don't think players want to see all those screens every time they play the game. :)