Competition! Best GameSalad tips!

2»

Comments

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@CasualEvolution said:
    You can open 2 projects in 2 instances of GS and copy rules from one actor from project 1 and paste in other actor of project 2 :)

Only on Mac, on Windows you have use the same instance, copy the rules, change the file that is open and then paste.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

Entries are now closed! Winners thread coming shortly!

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited May 2017

@Armelline Thanks for instigating this. Not able to contribute, but I learnt heaps.

Maybe this thread could just keep going without any prizes? We'd all be better off for it! :grin:

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

@CasualEvolution said:
    You can open 2 projects in 2 instances of GS and copy rules from one actor from project 1 and paste in other actor of project 2 :)

@CasualEvolution - Excellent point! - That's saved my a$$ a few times with broken projects, copying that hard-fought logic back into an earlier good build.... :smile:

• chaosmasterrochaosmasterro Member, PRO Posts: 51
    edited May 2017

Importing large tables and using the copy table rule is the devil. It momentarily freezes your game until the import/copy is done.

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410
    edited June 2017

@Armelline Great idea

Instance to Actor/Instance direct communication.

When an actor is in the scene and unlocked it has a Current Scene menu options in the Attributes browser.
    Within Current Scene>Layers there are all the Actors/Instances within the Scene and their Attributes can be manipulated or "looked at" directly from another in-scene actor.

I've used it to 'pass' text to a display text actor when calendar event instances are pressed.
    Also to change instance's alpha to various levels from several events - pinball table lights.

The receiving actor/instance is passive whilst all this activity happens to them. Quite abusive I guess!

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

Bit late but my top GS tip would be to always make notes, when I was making bigger games I found notes extremely useful as you tend to forget what some of the rules do :)