Evasion : Revolution is Now Available Free on iOS!

rainwaterstudiosrainwaterstudios Member Posts: 198
edited June 2017 in Announce Your Game!

Evasion : Revolution is available free for all iOS devices! Tap right to move clockwise, left to move counter-clockwise; evade partial ring enemies while collecting objects to boost your score.
Check it out: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evasion-revolution/id1237780494

Comments

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

I like the game. To me it seems backwards. My brain wants stuff from centre towards you from front.

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited June 2017

did not download the game because I do not like the graphic style.
    to be specific the color mix and the clumsiness of the object scaling and framing
    gameplay might be fun but I don't know that now

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Congrats on getting it out there! Will download this evening!

• rainwaterstudiosrainwaterstudios Member Posts: 198

@BigDave said:
    to be specific the color mix and the clumsiness of the object scaling and framing

Why post a review about not liking the game when you haven't even tried it out?

Haven't you ever heard not to 'judge a book by its cover'?

If you aren't a fan of how the game looks; it would be nice of you to provide constructive criticism and explain how you think it could be improved upon, instead of insulting the visuals of a game you've never experienced.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited June 2017

//

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

@rainwaterstudios said:

@BigDave said:

Why post a review about not liking the game when you haven't even tried it out?

If you aren't a fan of how the game looks; it would be nice of you to provide constructive criticism and explain how you think it could be improved upon, instead of insulting the visuals of a game you've never experienced.

It may be blunt, but it's still useful.

He's essentially saying that your icon and screenshots aren't compelling enough for him to download the game. You say don't judge a book by it's cover, but, let's be honest, the VAST majority of players will. If you can't convince people in this forum to look beyond the icon and screenshots you'll definitely struggle to get complete strangers to too.

As for specifics.

The icon is generic. Two arrows rotating around each other doesn't tell me anything. The colours, the fade, they look dated and very 90s. They certainly aren't exciting enough for me to click on.

The screenshots themselves are basically all the same from what I can tell. This tells me the gameplay is all pretty similar. I can't work out what the game is from the pictures. You might want to consider adding some text on top of the pictures to explain what I'm looking at.

Just picking clash of clans because it's popular: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/clash-of-clans/id529479190?mt=8

The icon, whilst now cliche (man shouting) looks good. The screen shots show me varied gameplay AND use text to me me get a feel for what I'm looking at.

Some simple changes could really help encourage people to download :)

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited June 2017

@rainwaterstudios
    i could also just write "good luck with the downloads"

which is nice, but nice does not bring you anywhere you will wonder why do I not get enough downloads when everyone writes its nice.

The initial presentation is everything in a world of 40000 new Apps added every month.

edited June 2017

@rainwaterstudios said

This is absolutely 100% the case with the app market, with so many apps fighting for attention your app will be judged by its 'cover' (icon, screenshots, logo, name . . . and so on).

• Terrellort_GamingTerrellort_Gaming Member Posts: 93

グッドゲーム

@BigDave said:
    @rainwaterstudios
    i could also just write "good luck with the downloads"

which is nice, but nice does not bring you anywhere you will wonder why do I not get enough downloads when everyone writes its nice.

100% agreed, honesty is important when it comes to feedback on projects, like you say "good luck with the downloads" and "this looks awesome" is great to hear, and there's nothing wrong with encouragement, but this is a developer forum, not an end user / app forum, and "this looks awesome" and "you are amazing" isn't going to make your game better, but "I thought the menu font was a bit unreadable" and "I didn't like the colour palette" just might make your game better.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@rainwaterstudios said:
    If you aren't a fan of how the game looks; it would be nice of you to provide constructive criticism, explain how you think it could be improved upon

He did. He said exactly what he found unappealing: "to be specific the color mix and the clumsiness of the object scaling and framing."

@rainwaterstudios said:
    instead of insulting the visuals of a game you've never experienced

He has experienced the visuals. The screenshots are an experience of the visuals. He didn't criticise the gameplay, since he hasn't experienced that.

グッドゲーム
    Google translate.

"Nice game"

@Toque said:
    グッドゲーム
    Google translate.

"Nice game"

Yes. It is a very good game. 非常に中毒

edited June 2017

@imjustmike said:
    As for specifics.
    The icon is generic. Two arrows rotating around each other doesn't tell me anything."

Actually, the icon tells you the fundamentals of the game: you revolve your character around in a circle to evade enemies. The game being called "Evasion : Revolution" coupled with the icon of revolving arrows represents the essence of the game; FYI, the arrows are revolving, not 'rotating'; I could understand your confusion from the icon alone, but with the game clearly being called "Evasion : Revolution", not "Evasion : Rotation", the difference is obvious.

The colours, the fade, they look dated and very 90s. They certainly aren't exciting enough for me to click on.

What's your problem with the '90s?

The screenshots themselves are basically all the same from what I can tell. This tells me the gameplay is all pretty similar. I can't work out what the game is from the pictures. You might want to consider adding some text on top of the pictures to explain what I'm looking at.

Just picking clash of clans because it's popular: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/clash-of-clans/id529479190?mt=8

The icon, whilst now cliche (man shouting) looks good. The screen shots show me varied gameplay AND use text to me me get a feel for what I'm looking at.

Comparing 'Evasion : Revolution to 'Clash of Clans' is pretty ridiculous, as they are very, very different games.
    You say that my icon doesn't tell you anything about the game, which is incorrect as explained above; What the heck does the icon for 'Clash of Clans' tell you? I'd like to hear what you know about the game from an icon of a man shouting.

@pHghost said:

@rainwaterstudios said:
    If you aren't a fan of how the game looks; it would be nice of you to provide constructive criticism, explain how you think it could be improved upon

He did. He said exactly what he found unappealing: "to be specific the color mix and the clumsiness of the object scaling and framing."

@rainwaterstudios said:
    instead of insulting the visuals of a game you've never experienced

He has experienced the visuals. The screenshots are an experience of the visuals. He didn't criticise the gameplay, since he hasn't experienced that.

Don't edit my comments when quoting me.

Nobody said the games terrible but could possibly be improved on.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/62c3p43fegw2dhm/File 2017-06-13, 10 21 05 PM.png?dl=0

What's the white box about with a number it's just confusing???

I like the start page. Interesting sounds. I'm thinking retro Atari arcade.classic. Nice. Vector font cool and I'm thinking of game Major
    Havoc. Game starts and it's vector graphics and oozes of Tempest. I'm still with you.
    But the obstacles and rewards don't fit. Colours are off. I would do vector obstacles and rewards. I would do the whole thing vector like.

Maybe I want Tempest too much. I loved that game. I can close my eyes and can clearly hear every sound to that game. Like Defender. Ecstasy for the 8th cranial nerve.

In your game. I'm flying forward but obstacles coming from behind.....confuses me.

I think the icon is okay. I don't hate it.

Nice star effect.

Nice trail.

Replay game needs work.

I don't get the injury image.

Lots of potential. I would keep working on it.

Lots of cool stuff in there.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485
    edited June 2017

I like the effect when the app starts , looks professional but once you click on that play button , no more effects, and it looks totally different. I think you should add juice to your game.A game like this should have music ! , cool sound effects ,screen shake , maybe a small zoom in and out every couple of seconds , a nice wobble to the rotation when getting hit. make things more colorful. Pop up text when you pick collectables , etc.. These small effects really matter alot and make your game look much better! I always download featured apps and notice they all do it , except for few, and when you do it you get better feedback and your game looks more professional. Wish you the best with the downloads and good luck :)

@Toque said:
    Nobody said the games terrible but could possibly be improved on.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/62c3p43fegw2dhm/File 2017-06-13, 10 21 05 PM.png?dl=0

What's the white box about with a number it's just confusing???

Thanks for bringing this to my attention - what device are you using that the white box shows up in? Just checked the screenshots on the iTunes preview (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evasion-revolution/id1237780494) and its not showing up there...

I like the start page. Interesting sounds. I'm thinking retro Atari arcade.classic. Nice. Vector font cool and I'm thinking of game Major
    Havoc. Game starts and it's vector graphics and oozes of Tempest. I'm still with you.
    But the obstacles and rewards don't fit. Colours are off. I would do vector obstacles and rewards. I would do the whole thing vector like.

What do you mean that the obstacles and rewards don't fit? Visually, or based on damage/score?

Maybe I want Tempest too much. I loved that game. I can close my eyes and can clearly hear every sound to that game. Like Defender. Ecstasy for the 8th cranial nerve.
    Replay game needs work.

Could you elaborate?

I don't get the injury image.

What do you mean by injury image?

Lots of potential. I would keep working on it.

I plan to, thanks for the pointers and support!

@Icebox said:
    I like the effect when the app starts , looks professional but once you click on that play button , no more effects, and it looks totally different. I think you should add juice to your game.A game like this should have music ! , cool sound effects ,screen shake , maybe a small zoom in and out every couple of seconds , a nice wobble to the rotation when getting hit. make things more colorful. Pop up text when you pick collectables , etc.. These small effects really matter alot and make your game look much better! I always download featured apps and notice they all do it , except for few, and when you do it you get better feedback and your game looks more professional. Wish you the best with the downloads and good luck :)

Thanks for your opinions and support. I do plan on adding many more features, graphics, music, etc. in the near future. :)

Check out my other game, 'Evasion', which is much more developed than 'Evasion : Revolution' - let me know what you think of the music! https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evasion/id534418653?mt=8

Im using a iPhone 6s.

My opinion is mostly visual and taste. Not right or wrong.

Replay needs work. Because when I replay I get this. It doesn't work.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6czsdq2m5256ux/File 2017-06-13, 10 41 38 PM.png?dl=0

When obstacle hits player it changes the image. The image is confusing to me. Again just an opinion.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

your other game actually has some nice effects and music so im sure you will update your new game and make it better, there is just one last comment id like to add.

In your old game the health icon is a heart icon and it doesnt fit well cause the main player is just a ball you move in space ( dont know what its called) . Same goes with your new game you have random coin flying and it just doesnt make sense to me why a coin would be there in that setting. Maybe you have a better explanation but to a random person like me it doesnt make much sense. Other than that , both game mechanics are great and plays the way it should so goodjob ! these little things are just a matter of taste so it is up to you (the developer) in the end. Again good luck with both games

@rainwaterstudios said:

@imjustmike said:
    As for specifics.
    The icon is generic. Two arrows rotating around each other doesn't tell me anything."

Actually, the icon tells you the fundamentals of the game: you revolve your character around in a circle to evade enemies. The game being called "Evasion : Revolution" coupled with the icon of revolving arrows represents the essence of the game; FYI, the arrows are revolving, not 'rotating'; I could understand your confusion from the icon alone, but with the game clearly being called "Evasion : Revolution", not "Evasion : Rotation", the difference is obvious.

The colours, the fade, they look dated and very 90s. They certainly aren't exciting enough for me to click on.

What's your problem with the '90s?

Comparing 'Evasion : Revolution to 'Clash of Clans' is pretty ridiculous, as they are very, very different games.
    You say that my icon doesn't tell you anything about the game, which is incorrect as explained above; What the heck does the icon for 'Clash of Clans' tell you? I'd like to hear what you know about the game from an icon of a man shouting.

I didn't pick the game because of its genre but to show how a top performing game does screenshots and icons, especially the screenshots. Just because they're different in game play doesn't mean you can't learn from their successes in promoting. Eye catching, fun looking and descriptive. You arrows and screenshots didn't tell me what I was going to be playing and I didn't like the look of it, so I didn't download it. That may be a personal taste, so don't get offended. Other people seem to like it, but just explaining why i didn't.

Also revolution is commonly used in game names that have nothing to do with revolving, often with sequels, so it may not be as obvious to everyone.

@imjustmike said:
    The icon, whilst now cliche (man shouting) looks good.

I'm baffled that you were able to ascertain ANY information from the 'Clash of Clans' app icon.... regardless, your description of the icon being a "man shouting" isn't correct - the icon is quite clearly a man clenching his teeth.... I don't know about you but I have no idea how to 'shout' with my teeth together... not really sure thats possible.

I'd still like to know what information you learned about 'Clash of Clans' from an icon of a man shouting (er, clenching his teeth....)

Also revolution is commonly used in game names that have nothing to do with revolving, often with sequels, so it may not be as obvious to everyone.

Well in this case, 'Revolution' refers to the revolving of the players icon (...as displayed in the icon...) but can also be interpreted with the other meaning of 'revolution', as it is a sequel (of sorts) to my original 'Evasion' game.

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@rainwaterstudios you shouldn't be defensive or take offense. The whole point of this exercise is to give feedback. You can either listen to it or not. No need to get snippy. Its counterproductive since perhaps like me, some folk might decide not to bother giving you feedback lest we end up going back and forth arguing about Our impressions of your game. You might intend but that intent is not always our perception and our perception is what we give our feedback on.

Anyway, my review:

//

@fmakawa said:
    @rainwaterstudios you shouldn't be defensive or take offense. The whole point of this exercise is to give feedback. You can either listen to it or not. No need to get snippy. Its counterproductive since perhaps like me, some folk might decide not to bother giving you feedback lest we end up going back and forth arguing about Our impressions of your game. You might intend but that intent is not always our perception and our perception is what we give our feedback on.

Anyway, my review:

//

So, your "review" is nothing whatsoever? "//"???

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

// means I typed something and deleted it. I was reinforcing my point about the reluctance to give feedback if said feedback is not taken in the spirit it was given.

Nonetheless, point made so here is some, much like Big Dave I wasn't enamoured by the art style as he pointed out and the scaling.
    The logo is a tad plain and isn't attention grabbing which might be okay if better showcased something from the game which I don't think it does (you're welcome to disagree)

Good luck with the downloads.

@fmakawa said:
    // means I typed something and deleted it. I was reinforcing my point about the reluctance to give feedback if said feedback is not taken in the spirit it was given.

Regarding your previous comment, if the "whole point of this exercise is to give feedback." and you don't give feedback, why respond? Thanks for actually giving feedback this time, lol.

Nonetheless, point made so here is some, much like Big Dave I wasn't enamoured by the art style as he pointed out and the scaling.

Okay, so your main dislike is the design style of it; do you have any ideas or suggestions that would increase your interest or make it look better (in your opinion). What do you mean by scaling?

The logo is a tad plain and isn't attention grabbing which might be okay if better showcased something from the game which I don't think it does (you're welcome to disagree)

I agree, the logo is a bit plain. I wanted to show the green ball character revolving around and this was the only design that seemed to make sense to me when I made it. The arrows are pointing out the path around in a circle, and have the same trailing design that the players character produces.

Good luck with the downloads.

Thank you! :)

Good luck

@rainwaterstudios said:

@imjustmike said:
    The icon, whilst now cliche (man shouting) looks good.

I'm baffled that you were able to ascertain ANY information from the 'Clash of Clans' app icon.... regardless, your description of the icon being a "man shouting" isn't correct - the icon is quite clearly a man clenching his teeth.... I don't know about you but I have no idea how to 'shout' with my teeth together... not really sure thats possible.

I'd still like to know what information you learned about 'Clash of Clans' from an icon of a man shouting (er, clenching his teeth....)

Well in this case, 'Revolution' refers to the revolving of the players icon (...as displayed in the icon...) but can also be interpreted with the other meaning of 'revolution', as it is a sequel (of sorts) to my original 'Evasion' game.

@imjustmike I'm still interested in knowing what information about the game you're able to understand from the 'Clash of Clans' icon...