New arcade pixel shooter low res

manoolgamesmanoolgames Member, PRO Posts: 40

Hi,
I'm working on a new game - a fast-paced pixel shooter with some unique (i hope) features like
-a button for diagonal shooting,
-an ability to throw stuff,
-use some heavy on-ground guns when approaching them and... well I hope to come up with something else

I would appreciate some ideas on what else can I add to a gameplay to make this shooter stand out from the crowded genre
Here is a gameplay preview and some screenshots

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited December 2017

I always liked how in Ikari Warriors you could get into a tank and then control the tank for a while (see 1:54 in the video below). Maybe have a helicopter or other machine the player can pilot.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• manoolgamesmanoolgames Member, PRO Posts: 40
    edited December 2017

@tatiang Thanks! I think it's a great idea. helicopter (or some hoover car) might really work

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

I like where you going with it. Different weapons are always good...

Thanks @smurfted ! i'm thinking about making a set of levels with a gun, then a set of levels with a kind of light sword and then another set of levels with something else. I'm not sure whether it is a good move. maybe instead it's worth just make several weapons in every level and an ability to switch...

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

@tatiang said:
    I always liked how in Ikari Warriors you could get into a tank and then control the tank for a while (see 1:54 in the video below). Maybe have a helicopter or other machine the player can pilot.

IKARI warriors was great. Really innovative joystick for its time. Lots of quarters lost to that one. (and other commando types)

edited December 2017

@manoolgames said:
    Thanks @smurfted ! i'm thinking about making a set of levels with a gun, then a set of levels with a kind of light sword and then another set of levels with something else. I'm not sure whether it is a good move. maybe instead it's worth just make several weapons in every level and an ability to switch...

Jumps into a exoskeleton killing machine.......
    Wouldn't have to change your mechanics! But kind of cool.

A ship or helicopter is cool too.

Lob grenades. Not really a switching weapons kind of guy. Maybe every 5th shot is a lob grenade...... But if you run out of bullets resort to punch or sword. Pickup new weapon upgrades works good.

Flame thrower.

Counicator pick up. It calls in a bomber.

Switching weapons.... another button.... flipping through weapons...... I dont know its just not my thing. It slows a fast pace game.

edited December 2017

Your pixel art is pretty good. Not sure I love the main character purple...... I think you did good for 8 pixel characters.... Cool. I wonder what a 16 pixel guy scaled down to 8 would look like here? Sort of 8 bit characters running in a 16 bit world. Not that there’s any laws against that.

What’s the story to this game?

Did you do the art? Hmmmm. Your Russian zombie guy?

@Toque thanks for so many great ideas. I like the exoskeleton idea. At least I can do a couple of levels without much additional effort.
    I'm still thinking about the story. The inspiration for the game was P.K. Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

I do the art. I don't have too much experience in pixelart. Pixelart tutorials by this Russian guy help a lot

@manoolgames said:
    @Toque thanks for so many great ideas. I like the exoskeleton idea. At least I can do a couple of levels without much additional effort.

Exactly!

I use pixel edit as well. Some times piskel.

Thanks for the tutorial videos!! Those don’t show up in English searches!! I can watch without sound. Fantastic.

I’ve only done pixel art for a few months now. Lots of fun.

Pleasure to meet you.

@manoolgames said:
    I'm still thinking about the story. The inspiration for the game was P.K. ****'s novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Oh. Blade Runner!! Love it!! Futuristic, dark, corrupt.

If your interested in working on some art/ ideas I would enjoy playing with it.

All fun

Toque.

Dark, sinister, trench coat. A little too cowboyish......

Will try a much smaller one......16 pixel stuff.