NOTICE: DO NOT UPGRADE TO HIGH SIERRA

124»

Comments

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@Braydon_SFX said:
    We are still working on fixes for High Sierra compatibility. We've got a beta build right now that (outside of 1 display issue) is fully functional, and you can download it via the link below for short-time use until the final build is released.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kl5cgjt8huo0dgn/GameSalad-1.25.81-beta.zip

@Hypnorabbit @Soufi

Would still be great to have a stable no-workaround version soon, though!

• CORE GameCORE Game Member, PRO Posts: 280

Thanks @pHghost , I hope using this beta version won't affect my game, I am using 3 different Macs and I don't want to have some issues related to backward compatibility

@phghost and nope the version you provided is giving the same issue, it is not working.

• cgrios88cgrios88 Member, PRO Posts: 3

Any up date on a fully functioning High Sierra build? Even using the work around you stiil can not change the attributes of any actor's instance in a scene because there is no way to add attributes. Although this isn't a huge problem because attributes can always be changed in behaviors it creates more work. Also, and more importantly, we are having a lot of issues with game salad quitting unexpectedly at random times. Sometimes if I reinstall the issue goes away but not all the time. Finally some of my students have realized that on a few occasions when they changed the image for an actor by dragging the new image into the actor icon in the actors window they can no longer drag them on to the scene. However if I look in the layers section the actor is present but if you select it from the layers section it does not show up on stage.

This is seriously disappointing, I was trying to convince a friend yesterday to get GameSalad, and I tried my best to run it on my new MacBook Pro 15" which was updated to high Sierra , and guess what happened ?! well he started showing me construct !
    I hate to say this, I am really fan of GameSalad, but such an issue really dragging all of us down, this is not a simple mater, GameSalad isn't functional like this! I have paid a huge amount on a laptop to be able to work on my game!
    so I started googling this issue and what I found is, an issue was raised in sep-2017 and we are about to get in 2018 and still not resolved ! VERY disappointing!

edited December 2017

@Soufi said:
    @phghost and nope the version you provided is giving the same issue, it is not working.

You need to add (and delete) an attribute for the menus to appear, I think, that's the workaround.

That's why they call it beta, but there are no changes that would make your projects unusable.

• GladoniaGladonia Member, PRO Posts: 6

I think this will be my last month as a pro. I am an Italian teacher and I have often shown gamesalad in my classes. I love gamesalad and I think that Adent42 has done a great work to solve many problems .... but reading his messages I perceive that in the company, maybe, he is the only one working for this and this scares me because, for sure, in the future the technology will change and there will be new problems to solve ... and I do not want to spend my time on something that does not give me certainty. With great regret I greet you. Thanks Gamesalad.

@Gladonia said:
    I think this will be my last month as a pro. I am an Italian teacher and I have often shown gamesalad in my classes. I love gamesalad and I think that Adent42 has done a great work to solve many problems .... but reading his messages I perceive that in the company, maybe, he is the only one working for this and this scares me because, for sure, in the future the technology will change and there will be new problems to solve ... and I do not want to spend my time on something that does not give me certainty. With great regret I greet you. Thanks Gamesalad.

@Gladonia is 100% right, Its strange that such a good engine is having a very slow updates, I personally speak out of jealousy here! I do prefer gamesalad over any other engine ! even Unity ! but with subscription being wasted like this .. just waiting for an update .. is unfortunate! I hope you guys can prepare yourself a bit ahead in the upcoming MacOS updates !

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

This really does highlight the need to move to the web.

Apart from this annoyance, is all else OK?

• TomCoffeeTomCoffee Member, PRO Posts: 175

I was able to update two existing iOS apps as well as an Android app, all with the beta version. Yes, the attribute thing is annoying, but it did work, so I give GameSalad props for having something in place.... though the delay in formal version is concerning me.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034
    edited December 2017

FYI. We don't have a full release because of an issue with the Dashboard (where all the templates show up), but we'll be posting a "State of GameSalad" soon with a link to another beta build that fixes the core problem. At that time, we'll be unpinning this thread.

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

Thanks @adent42 for your hard work. It hasn't gone unnoticed these past couple of weeks :smile:

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

@TomCoffee
    Good to know. Just about to move on to a new project. Looks like I'll update today.

@adent42
    I still remember having to quit every 10 min due to slowdown. It was worth it then so, I guess, this is just an annoyance at the beginning of each session. Thanks for making the beta available.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

I just realized we never redirected people, sooo, if you've already upgraded:

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/95848/state-of-gamesalad-on-12-11-2017#latest

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

i upgraded to high sierra about a week ago and found gs wasn't working today (about a week after i was charged my monthly subscription).
    maybe it would have been an idea to email your subscribers in a bulk mail out advising us about this, rather than people finding this out after they have upgraded to high sierra.

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

I'm going to say again. Wow!

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

A new update is out that fixes the High Sierra issues, you can download it here: http://releases.gamesalad.com/creator/1.25.84/GameSalad-Creator-1.25.84.dmg

So its been checked and i can update my mac now?

Yeah, you can update your Mac.

• roy.burr@btinternet.comroy.burr@btinternet.com Member, PRO Posts: 26

@pHghost said:
    Yeah, you can update your Mac.

I wouldn't. Its got bugs.

@roy.burr@btinternet.com said:

Can you mention what bugs you are seeing?

I think he means the inability to publish that people are talking about

@pHghost said:

Open an actor which has an image already assigned to it. You used to get a small x to get of the image. That is no longer there.

Import a new image with the same name as an image already in the project. You'll still see the old image until you save, quit, then reopen the project.

Names of actors you are editing won't always update.

The above don't always seem to happen, but have been happening to me today.

@pHghost said:

Open an actor which has an image already assigned to it. You used to get a small x to get of the image. That is no longer there.

Import a new image with the same name as an image already in the project. You'll still see the old image until you save, quit, then reopen the project.

The above don't always seem to happen, but have been happening to me today.

That should read get rid of the image.

Will check that.

That’s actually been the case for several years now, nothing to do with this version. You don’t actually have to save and quit. If you preview the game, it shows the correct image and then when you come back to the scene after previewing, it’s correct there as well. Most of the time just switching the scene solves it as well.

Noticed that, yeah. Not a game breaking issue but it is annoying.

I don't know why this is slipping down into the past. As far as i've heard this is still a very good idea (i.e. not upgrading)...

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited January 2018

@smurfted Well, if we keep commenting here we can bump it to the top until everyone has read it... And if it's not fixed soon there will be nobody left to even see this post! >:)

edited January 2018

Indeed :/

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@ForumNinja Over the past three months several members have suggest that GS should send out a broadcast email to everyone about avoiding upgrading to High Sierra. It's pretty easy to do.

I would save a lot of grief for members and ill-will towards GS?

More people are going to upgrade now because last week Apple started advising everyone to upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.2 because of Spectre and Meltdown vulnerability. Members who don't read the Forum may read about the advice to upgrade elsewhere.

Apple has already released mitigations for the Intel chip flaw in Macs as part of macOS 10.13.2 released in December to help defend against Meltdown exploits. (Source: MacWorld)