State of the Salad 03/2018

Comments

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

@Hopscotch said:
    @Hymloe if you are referring to the GPRD complience, then it relates to all apps, regardless if they had AdMob or Chartboost included.

Thanks. (That sucks.)

Is that because of the in-built option in GS which we can't turn off about collecting data over the internet connection that's always been there? :|

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@Hymloe - Yeah that's correct, the update is needed to remove the inbuilt analytics - so it seems all apps will need updating:

@adent42 said:
    Misc stuff:

Yes you will have to republish for GPRD updates. Google Analytics is on the engine and the engine reports directly to Google for us, so there's no way for us to cut the data off.

If you are faced with legacy apps, you could just take them off of the EU markets.

No update on mediation.

@adent42 - Do you have an eta for the GDPR update? I've got a silly amount of apps across all the app stores that need updating and I'm getting jittery!

If it's the integration of the new ad sdks thats holding things up would it not be possible to release a version that just removes Gamesalads analytics? - then at least we could put out compliant updates (without ads) and add our ad networks back in at a later date.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@DigiChain no specific ETA since we've just finished coding the iOS updates and need to test.

For everyone:

First off, I am not a lawyer and any suggestions I give should not be construed as legal advice.

Now that that's out of the way, here's how we're planning on handle things and how you should set things up for your games while waiting for the update:

First off, take all your games off EU stores by May 25 if you haven't updated yet. You can take the risk and hope no one complains about your app, but I'd urge on the side of caution and just take your apps off.

Second, to update your apps for GDPR and want to show ads, you will need to handle getting privacy permissions from your players.

Again, IANAL, so I can't provide you the text for a prompt (also because I'm working on the update and haven't googled for one you can use yet), so you're on your own there for now.

Add an attribute to your game named 'privateDataConsentForAds'. You will be responsible for storing and restoring this attribute value between sessions.

I suggest 3 possible values for the attribute:

-1 - Consent state unknown. Use this value to determine if you need to ask the user for permissions.

0 - Consent not given.

1 - Consent given, all ad networks work like normal.

Once your prompt is accepted, set privateDataConsentForAds to 1.

If we don't see a value of 1 then we won't show ads, or in the case of admob, we will indicate that non-personalized ads will be shown.

If we do see 1, ad will show like normal.

To be super safe you should prompt for all markets. If you are willing to go with the argument that "if you're not buying from the EU app stores, we don't need to ask", then you can just set privateDataConsentForAds = 1 for all non EU versions of the app and to -1 for EU versions.

This was typed in a hurry and we'll do a post / blog post / something more substantial later on the details, but if you can figure out what I just said, get started on updating your apps now.

Once we put out our update you should just be able to republish and things will just work.

Cheers.

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@adent42 said:
    First off, take all your games off EU stores by May 25 if you haven't updated yet.

GDPR was not announced yesterday. They announced it 2 years ago. Why do GS leave things until the last minute? I'm tired of this.

I hope we'll see the update before May 25.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited May 2018

@unbeatenpixel said:

@adent42 said:
    First off, take all your games off EU stores by May 25 if you haven't updated yet.

GDPR was not announced yesterday. They announced it 2 years ago. Why do GS leave things until the last minute? I'm tired of this.

I hope we'll see the update before May 25.

While that's true, and probably fair. At least here in the US many many companies have been scrambling to be compliant these past few weeks.

I've seen a couple polls showing only about 37-60% of companies will be ready by the deadline.

Many of the ad networks weren't even compliant and ready til very recently.

I'd say a little slack here is warranted.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,211

Honestly i don't know what i need to do for GDPR... is possible just to update the privacy policy or i need to remove the games that have ADV in the EU and not compliant with GDPR...

• indra.azizindra.aziz Member, PRO Posts: 100

Does this mean setting our apps containing ads unavailable in EU countries (until the update)?

EU countries

@indra.aziz - You'll need to remove all apps from EU countries until the update (regardless of if they contain ads or not). Gamesalad games currently gather analytic data from the apps which is not permitted without consent.

An interesting article which highlights even Google Admob don't really know what they're doing with GDPR!:
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/15/android_ad_pause_gdpr_chaos/

• indra.azizindra.aziz Member, PRO Posts: 100

Got it. I just made my apps unavailable on all EU countries. Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.

edited May 2018

@DigiChain said:
    @indra.aziz - You'll need to remove all apps from EU countries until the update (regardless of if they contain ads or not). Gamesalad games currently gather analytic data from the apps which is not permitted without consent.

Bit of a pain, considering that I'm a pro paying user of GS, and decided to remove all ads and crap from my games, but am still stuck with some Game Salad analytics gathering thing that I can't myself turn off.

But oh well.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

...Just to add that Google have removed every one of my existing apps THEMSELVES, as not being GDPR compliant - I haven't even been given a choice... Happened a couple of days ago...

I set a release date of 1st June, for Courier Chaos, and working on it at the moment - how likely is it that for iOS at least, I'll be okay come then? - i.e. down to GS's side of things/update timescale?

Cheers guys...

@Japster Did Google just remove them from EU stores or worldwide?
    Also was it specifically GDPR related as I know they've been tightening up on the need for us to have external privacy policies for quite a while now.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
    edited May 2018

@DigiChain said:
    @Japster Did Google just remove them from EU stores or worldwide?
    Also was it specifically GDPR related as I know they've been tightening up on the need for us to have external privacy policies for quite a while now.

Good point - nope, completely removed, and you may be right - I'll double-check the fine print, cheers! - Having said that, still won't be able to put them back up (or release Courier Chaos on 'droid or iOS) anytime soon by the looks of it.... :frowning:

EDIT:- Yep, looks like what you're saying @DigiChain mate (PS - the state of my app installs on Android makes me wonder why I should even bloody bother - and the only reason CF has so many 'installs' is I stupidly paid for installs back then... never do this, guys, it didn't make a damn bit of difference, and probably got my app flagged in Google's sh!tlist somehow): -

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

Hey guys, we have a build in testing with analytics pulled out (for iOS), and we're working on getting an Android build as well.

In regards to what @adent42 mentioned with ads:

@adent42 said:
    Again, IANAL, so I can't provide you the text for a prompt (also because I'm working on the update and haven't googled for one you can use yet), so you're on your own there for now.

Add an attribute to your game named 'privateDataConsentForAds'. You will be responsible for storing and restoring this attribute value between sessions.

I suggest 3 possible values for the attribute:

-1 - Consent state unknown. Use this value to determine if you need to ask the user for permissions.

0 - Consent not given.

1 - Consent given, all ad networks work like normal.

If we don't see a value of 1 then we won't show ads, or in the case of admob, we will indicate that non-personalized ads will be shown.

If we do see 1, ad will show like normal.

Here's a simple example project demonstrating the functionality he's talking about, though you will want to change the wording of the prompt itself.

TL:DR When the update is out, everyone will need to re-publish their apps to be compliant. Those who are showing ads will need to add a new game attribute to their game and get consent from their players for analytics purposes.

edited May 2018

@ForumNinja @adent42

So just to be completely clear on this - the new attribute needs to be named 'privateDataConsentForAds' exactly. And it will be coded within the game engine to look for this attribute and then intialize the ads sdk & display ads if the correct value is returned?

So for example if we have a show interstitial ad rule and privateDataConsentForAds = 0, the ad will not display without us needing to code in any additional check of the attribute ourselves?

e.g. We don’t need to add an additional rule like this:

IF privateDataConsentForAds = 1
    {
    Show interstitial ad;
    }

edited May 2018

re: privateDataConsentForAds

It'd be good to see a full and official post describing this process at some point soon.

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@DigiChain said:
    So just to be completely clear on this - the new attribute needs to be named 'privateDataConsentForAds' exactly. And it will be coded within the game engine to look for this attribute and then intialize the ads sdk & display ads if the correct value is returned?

Yep, it needs to be named privateDataConsentForAds exactly, as that's what the engine will check for.

So for example if we have a show interstitial ad rule and privateDataConsentForAds = 0, the ad will not display without us needing to code in any additional check of the attribute ourselves?

For the most ad providers, yes. The exception being that AdMob ads will show if the attribute is set to 0, they just won't be targeted ads.

e.g. We don’t need to add an additional rule like this:

IF privateDataConsentForAds = 1
    {
    Show interstitial ad;
    }

That's correct, you won't need any special new rules etc. You'll just need to handle setting that attribute and the saving/loading of it.

edited May 2018

When we are trying to engage with ''the new player'', they will not like the fact that the first thing they see is a consent pop-up for ads.

To see the best approach from the big players about GDPR in the coming days, can we only close the ads to europe with this rule?

IF device-platform-region = TableSearchFunction with a ISO-EUROPE RegionCodes Table

Change Attirbute: privateDataConsentForAds to 0

Otherwise

Change Attirbute: privateDataConsentForAds to 1

Is that ok for GDPR?

Thanks @ForumNinja , all makes sense!

@unbeatenpixel - I've seen similar ideas discussed elsewhere, but dismissed because they're not completely fool proof.
    I think these pop-up consents will become the norm now, so players will soon get used to them.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327
    edited May 2018

@adent42 Google are saying consent will still be needed even for non-targeted ads.

Although these ads don’t use cookies for ad personalisation, they do use cookies to allow for frequency capping, aggregated ad reporting and to combat fraud and abuse. Consent is therefore required to use cookies for those purposes from users in countries to which the ePrivacy Directive’s cookie provisions apply.

https://support.google.com/admob/answer/7666366

As another note, not specifically at @adent42, it seems that you cannot deny access to your app if a user refuses to opt in. This would seem to mean that EU users either get the app for free, or you don't even offer them the option of an ad-funded experience. The whole business is absurd. This legistlation might well be the end of the ad-driven app store. Can anyone find a really firm source that contradicts this? I can find only confusion online, but the consensus seems to be that denying access is not permissable, as the consent is not given freely if refusing consent denies access.

@Armelline Would you not be able to offer a lite version without ads, and then the full ad supported version with ads? Surely this is no different to offering a full paid version or a free lite version, the EU can't tell us we have to give away our full products for free... can they?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Okay, update for iOS has been deployed! Next to get Android working. As a general reminder:

1) If your app was published with any 1.25 build, you just need to hit "Generate" again.
    2) This update removes all tracking (namely Google Analytics).
    3) If you're using ads, this update adds support for the previously mentioned privateDataConsentForAds attribute, which can you use to indicate that your users have given permission to the ad networks to collect personally identifiable information on your behalf.
    4) As a practical thing:

• Admob: Show personalized ads if privateDataConsentForAds is 1, non-personalized / anonymous ads otherwise.
    • Chartboost/Tapdaq: Does not show ads if privateDataConsentForAds is not 1. This is on the ad network side, we're just passing a value to let them know about the consent status. They may show ads in the future if they work out anonymous ads.
    • Revmob: No SDK update provided, so we're just disabling Revmob if privateDataConsentForAds is not 1 to be safe.

I'm hoping to have the Android update done tonight and we'll be testing tomorrow. Once the Android update is done, we'll put all this information again in it's own post.

edited May 2018

@DigiChain said:
    @Armelline Would you not be able to offer a lite version without ads, and then the full ad supported version with ads? Surely this is no different to offering a full paid version or a free lite version, the EU can't tell us we have to give away our full products for free... can they?

That's the thing... it seems insane. I suspect that the wording of the law will not be what's enforced, or it will be clarified. But right now the wording implies you cannot deny access. Good explanation here:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16874655

Numerous online games and websites are already simply denying access entirely to anyone in the EU.

Edit: Some claim you can deny them access if they also refuse to consent to non-personalised ads. So you can ask them for consent, and if they say no you can ask them to consent to non-personalised ads, and that does not require a "disagree" option. So the second consent required for Admob's non-perosnalised ads can be a "Agree" option and if they don't press that, well, they don't to play the game.

https://www.cookiechoices.org/

This seems like the safest path to take. Ask for consent for ads, if they say no say you'll show non-personalised ads and they either agree to that or they spend their time looking at the agree screen.

@adent42 said:

1) If your app was published with any 1.25 build, you just need to hit "Generate" again.

+

@adent42 said:
    For creator:

User 1.25.88 for dev (no image issue). Have a copy of 1.25.90-92 for signing (.88 does not account for some extra signing steps needed for updated ad libraries).

edited May 2018

FYI current ETA for Android is Thursday (took longer than expected to get thing working). If we're lucky, and no bugs show up, maybe Wed evening.

Coding is going well, all I have left is Tapdaq and the testing can begin. crosses fingers

edited May 2018

@unbeatenpixel I had numerous .88 build rejected by Apple over the past week, so it seems reasonably safe to say a new publish with .92 will be needed.

Edit: Games with no ads, I should note.

• hybridhybrid Member Posts: 183

@adent42 If i opt of taking out the apps for the EU markets, i still have to have the privateDataConsentForAds set as 1?

if i don't include the rule it will be readed as 0 meaning there will be no ads?

@adent42
    Part of the GDPR requirement is that the user can change their level of consent whenever they wish. To do this I have a privacy settings scene within the app which has a 'change ad consent' button, this then resets the privateDataConsentForAds = -1 and send them back to the initial GDPR consent scene to begin again.

So my question is:
    If the user changes their consent level whilst the app is running is this then updated at an engine level and sending the correct new value to the ad networks (without the need for a restart/ re-initialising of ad sdks)??