Free Level Editor

1235»

Comments

• firaxofiraxo Member Posts: 11

Awesome amazing, and enjoy

• Twayne2Twayne2 Member Posts: 458
    edited December 2017

So what exactly does this do in comparison to the GS creator? Is it a separate download? Has it been integrated in the GS creator? And why did this topic rise up to the top of the announcements section? Lol. :smile:

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
    edited December 2017

@Twayne2 said:
    So what exactly does this do in comparison to the GS creator? Is it a separate download? Has it been integrated in the GS creator? And why did this topic rise up to the top of the announcements section? Lol. :smile:

@Twayne2 - It's simple! :smile: It's a GREAT tool (yep, a separate downloadable desktop app), by a dedicated user @Manto , for EASILY creating and modifying GS levels / layouts in existing projects - uses your GS project file to show actors, levels, etc, and modify / copy levels and actors to your heart's content - then writes directly back into your project to update it!... ...it has ZOOM, SNAP TO GRID, copy / paste, lots of great functions that should really be in GS - fantastic and FREE, a great community tool, and hugely appreciated!

Oh - and a fresh comment will always bring a topic to the top of the list, as this one will now do! :smile:

• Twayne2Twayne2 Member Posts: 458

Ok, thanks! :smile:

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

I love this level editor, just saying :) it’s a god send guys, been using it for the last 6 months

• MantoManto Member Posts: 796

@jay2dx said:
    I love this level editor, just saying :) it’s a god send guys, been using it for the last 6 months

Woah, that's a long time! :smiley:

Any feedback? What do you like/hate the most? Is something missing?

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

@Manto said:

@jay2dx said:

Woah, that's a long time! :smiley:

Any feedback? What do you like/hate the most? Is something missing?

There’s lots missing but it’s free, I mainly use it for tile placement and that’s it really! It’s just so much faster having snap to grid and a sort of tile placement tool, just give it a try :)

What I tend to do is fill my scene with every tile the level will require within GS so I can then just duplicate them around the level using the level editor, make sure you have your tiles sorted into the required layers first in GS though,

• Rogue AnvilRogue Anvil Member, PRO Posts: 30

Great work!

• Select multiple actors
    • Grid, snap-to-grid
    • Zoom In/Out
    • Positon, size, rotation input fields for fast changes

These features SHOULD really be inherent in the GS editor(!) <3

@Rogue Anvil said:
    Great work!

• Select multiple actors
    • Grid, snap-to-grid
    • Zoom In/Out
    • Positon, size, rotation input fields for fast changes

These features SHOULD really be inherent in the GS editor(!) <3

Thanks! Nice to hear the editor is still useful!

• CiaphisCiaphis Member Posts: 58

Gonna download this later and give it a go.

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

i love this app. the only thing i would love to see added to it is the ability to print a scene on a page. best thing i've seen anyone make to complement gs.
    thank you for making this.

• Chris FitsimonsChris Fitsimons Member Posts: 134

Would be nice if this could be developed to replace the current GS editor ?

• StoodeldStoodeld Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2019

Thanks for an amazing tool, I'm impatient to try it out:)

• kingkong4kingkong4 Member Posts: 3

Awesome, thanks!

• malikinstaberrymalikinstaberry Member Posts: 3

Really good

• four8gamesfour8games Member, PRO Posts: 29

This sounds like a great tool!!, I am having trouble though getting it to run, once you download the "windows" folder how do you get the program to install and run on your computer and get it into Gamesalad? Thanks.

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

@four8games said:
    This sounds like a great tool!!, I am having trouble though getting it to run, once you download the "windows" folder how do you get the program to install and run on your computer and get it into Gamesalad? Thanks.

it runs separate/parallel to game salad. so if you run both, make your project and template layer in gs, save it, then while keeping gs open, also open the level builder. design your level in level builder, save it. then if you need to tinker with the logic in gs, on the edit menu i think it is, click revert to saved, and your newly designed level will be in gs.

i’d recommend making a dud side project to have a play around with while you figure out the functions.

• adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 436

Wow. Thank you! Very impressed. Does anybody know what the script editor does?

@bob loblaw said:

@four8games said:

it runs separate/parallel to game salad. so if you run both, make your project and template layer in gs, save it, then while keeping gs open, also open the level builder. design your level in level builder, save it. then if you need to tinker with the logic in gs, on the edit menu i think it is, click revert to saved, and your newly designed level will be in gs.

i’d recommend making a dud side project to have a play around with while you figure out the functions.

This is correct. I would have wanted to add the level editor as a plugin to GameSalad, but that wasn't possible. Nice to hear people are still using it :blush:

@adriangomez said:
    Wow. Thank you! Very impressed. Does anybody know what the script editor does?

The script editor didn't get finished. The plan was to enable those who wish to manipulate the selected actors using JavaScript. In the released version you can write for example actors.setx(100) to set the x position of all selected actors to 100. But the script editor doesn't even support sety so it's not really useful.

@Manto any chance you would make the source code available? Not sure how much time I have, but I would try to improve it if it was available.

@adriangomez said:
    @Manto any chance you would make the source code available? Not sure how much time I have, but I would try to improve it if it was available.

Here's the source code https://github.com/mantoone/level-editor . It's written in Scala and you probably need to download Scala IDE to run it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Wow. Thank you.

@Manto Any possibility you could update this to allow the windows GS project to be loaded. When I try, it just has an inital blank scene and nothing loads. Due to the latest GS Mac release (97) crashing within 2 minuts of use, I have to use the less but annoying buggy windows version of GS.

@Chris Fitsimons I have quite little free time nowadays, but could you share some simple project that fails to load so I can check and fix the tool whenever I have time? Don't share any real project, just something simple.

Hi. I re-downloaded the app and it now works. Not sure why it did not work before.

@Manto Hi. Can you let me know if the LevelEditor still works on a MAC? Or the last version OS you tested on? I download from the link (Windows.zip) and assume it should work on MAC also? I open project and go to directory and it does not list any of my mac projects so not able to open. If you could update the git repo ReadMe on how to build the jar from source, that would be a great help.

@Chris Fitsimons Hey, sorry for delayed reply, for some reason I no longer get notifications from GS forums. The mac installer has randomly disappeared from the drive folder (no entries in folder history). But you can indeed run the jar file found in windows.zip on Mac as well. Try dragging the gamesalad project to the open project window of the level editor. If open button is still disabled, try to select the file <project name>.gsproj then you should be able to continue.