Problems with Physics Editor

Im trying to make a simple isometric shape in Physics Editor but when I import the JSON file in to the actor in game salad and change the collision from rectangle to custom, it doesn't change from square to the new isometric shape. Any suggestions?

Comments

• BinnyBinny Seoul, KoreaMember, PRO Posts: 75

I would recommend checking the actor attribute physics movable.

• glessnrdglessnrd Member Posts: 5

@Binny yes it is set to movable and the problem still occurs

• glessnrdglessnrd Member Posts: 5

Could the problem itself be Physics Editor? If so, I’d be willing to try Physics Body Editor if it is available for Mac

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

If you're talking about PhysicsEditor then I recently made a bunch of custom collision shapes, imported them into GameSalad and had no problems.

Are you constraining the actors?

Did you definitely correctly use the GameSalad exporter?

Which version of PhysicsEditor and which version of GameSalad?

Here's a custom shape I made with PhysicsEditor and just checked works correctly in the latest version of GameSalad. See if this works and the answer should help us pin down the problem.

• goubet.patrickgoubet.patrick Member, PRO Posts: 9

Hello Armelline Thanks a lot for this sample !

I have quick questions,

• what "origin" means, is it the center of your shape ?
    • Is the "size" has to be the size of the sprite or can it be different ?

Do you have any example of how a circle would be in a json file ?

Patrick

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

What origin means depends on the context. I don't have PhysicsEditor installed right now, I just updated to Catalina, so can't check but will do so when I get it installed again.

My understanding, which might be mistaken, perhaps @adent42 can confirm, is that the custom shapes scale with the actor, but in the same way circles do.

If you have a square actor and select "circle" for the collision shape, the circle will fill the square to the extent it can:

If the actor is wider or taller, the circle will stay centred:

The circle sits in the middle, filling the smallest edge so that it is as big as it can be without getting any of it cut off.

I've always assumed, but never actually tested, that custom collisions work the same way:

Scale up or down, the collision will always match the width or height, whichever is smaller. Hopefully @adent42 will confirm. Otherwise I'll do some tests when I get PhysicsEditor installed again.