let's get excited about Gamesalad again!

Hello all,

@adent42 I would like to ask for embedded web view.

It has been discussed before and combined with the network behavior it has tons of potential.

https://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/88123/feature-request-webview-vote-for-it

Among the things that come in mind are:

Input fields which hopefully will trigger native keyboard.

Social login.

Camera picture to server.

Showing a picture from the server.

Showing videos.

And I'm sure others can come up with more ways to use it.

@adent42 I'll be happy to hear your thoughts on this one.

Thanks

Regards

Alex

Comments

• uptimistikuptimistik Key Master, Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 253

nice suggestion..

GameSalad Templates and Custom Development at the Official Marketplace: http://gshelper.com

• nir3112nir3112 Member, PRO Posts: 304

That will be great but I don't think it will happened.. like all other suggested features users ask for on the forum..

a lot of features are missing from gamesalad and there is a lot of potential to make it the best program for making apps and games, maybe some we will have it all[=

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

This one would be lower in the list, not because it's not useful, but because it's much harder than a lot of stuff in the queue. But it is in the queue.

Another option would be to select a game/graphics pipeline focused HTML renderer. So it wouldn't be the full equivalent of a web view, but it would support a subset of html in a memory efficient way.

Either way, it's on the list.

• solnikasolnika Member Posts: 132

@uptimistik I agree!

@nir3112 well you have to keep trying, I do think this is the easiest engine out there, yes a lot of missing features for sure but it's quite powerful regardless.

I guess if there was enough demand maybe @adent42 would have think on push this up the list, but you don't see this thread packed with comments or any other thread for that matter.

It's such a shame to see how this community has vanish, It use to be one of the powerful sides of Gamesalad and still a great source of information.

If I wouldn't have the language barrier I would try to be more active, but posting with google translate takes to much time.

Thanks for the answer @adent42 , can you elaborate on the second option?

Nevertheless hope this come sooner than later.

Regards

Alex

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Something like this rather than pulling in all of webkit: https://github.com/libRocket/libRocket

It really depends on how easy it is to pull in the browser in a cross platform way.

Thanks for the link, I don't really understand it but I'll be happy to have it (:

Basically a full browser is very heavy to support and we'd have to write special code for each platform. LibRocket is a useful subset of HTML that can be less resource intensive and cross platform. The main thing you'd be missing is javascript.

Thanks again @adent42 , I'm in!

How many please would it take to push it up the list?

The more I think about it I'm more and more convinced that this can be a very powerful feature.

Using it with google cloud function and firestore and it's an all new world.

I'm sure this will benefit education market as well, some new fields to cover.

With the current "no-code" movement this can be great for Gamesalad!

Please keep up posted.

Regards

Alex

I'd love to to this, but before we do I have a thought on the design for keyboard text entry that requires less work on the UI side and feels like it has the flexibility to handle a lot of use cases.

The idea is to create a set of device attributes: "keyboardCaptureMode" | "keyboardBuffer" | "keyboardInputHint" | "keyboardCloseOnEnter"

When "keyboardCaptureMode" is set to true:

• keyboardBuffer is reset to blank.
    • If you're on a mobile device with no keyboard, the keyboard shows. If "keyboardInputHint" is a valid type, it will show the appropriate keyboard (i.e. if it's something like "Number" it will try to pull a number keyboard. If it's "email" it will let the keyboard know to configure the keyboard for easy email entry, etc. I'm not sure about all the possibilities, but it's basically whatever the special keyboard are shown for the various HTML5 input types like number, phone, email).
    • All keyboard characters will go directly into "keyboardBuffer". You can either use display text to show the buffer or constrain attribute + functions and save it to another attribute to display filtered data.
    • "keyboardCloseOnEnter" would be like what it sounds like. If enabled, hitting Enter / Return would close the keyboard (i.e. enforce a single line entry).

When "keyboardCaptureMode" is turned off, data is left in the keyboard buffer, the keyboard will go away.

I think this can go a long ways towards making text entry UI better and is super flexible without integrating a whole new UI for html/css entry and display.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

This sounds like an excellent solution.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

That sounds cool. It sure would be nice to improve the text input in anyway possible that is for sure.

Wow please, That will be awesome!

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

Sounds fantastic.

• boroyadiaboroyadia Member Posts: 1

Hi @adent42 , any news on this?

Also what about android native share, will this be available in the upcoming android build?

So I'm 50% sure native share is there, but I haven't looked in a while, so I'm likely wrong. No update on the keyboard proposal. Right now we're working on getting apk signing fixed. We're in the last rounds of testing the new macOS build. The windows build is a bit more problematic, so that's gonna take a bit longer.

• gizzi93gizzi93 Member, PRO Posts: 67

I never lost being excited;)