Android AAB Support

Comments

• pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,211

So the RC and AAB have an issue crashing on newer Samsung and Pixel 4 devices running Android 11 (basically devices that use a new feature introduced in Android 11).

The AAB has fixed that issue, but we currently cannot generate an APK with the fix because the new fix is incompatible with our APK generation system. For now, if you need to submit to the store, grab the AAB.

If you need an APK to test with and you have a newer Samsung Device running Android 11 or a Pixel 4, then you'll need to follow the command line instructions provided to create an APK form the AAB.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@Binny the Freestick issue is a new one for me. I'll look into it.

@boolsis yes, you still need to generate via aab. I'm working on APK based generation right now. We have it "working" and it's in the testing phase (mostly for stuff like expansion file support).

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@Binny does it run fine on device without the Freestick error? I think it's because the emulator might run on x86 for which we don't have a target, but I'm not sure.

• BinnyBinny Seoul, KoreaMember, PRO Posts: 75

It may be a problem with the emul itself, but there was no problem in the recent update on the emul, so I talked about it just in case.

Update At first, I got reports that the device crashed on startup, but we haven't been able to confirm that the crash has been fixed in the last few updates.

But I have a problem with the click of the button. I also got reports and saw it myself on LG Android11.

I had to update the new aab right away, but would the problem be reduced if I update it after converting from the recreated aab to the apk?

• nir3112nir3112 Member, PRO Posts: 304

I created the AAB file but the google play cant upload it to the store.

I got this message:

on the top of the page I got 'opt in' button and when I press on it I go to this page:

no matter what I tried from those options I cant get what they need to let me upload AAB file and update my app.

my app os more then 5 years on the store so until now I used APK but there are too much bugs with android 11 and 10 on samsung phones..

someone got this error and can help me please?

thanks[=

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

Thanks for the hard work on this @adent42. Really hope you can simplify the signing process, my heads about to explode!

• badcomicsbadcomics Member, PRO Posts: 30

@adent42 I still have issues with In-App Purchase Restore. Used to work but doesn't now

You still have access to my in-house testing.

@adent42 I still have issues with In-App Purchase Restore. Used to work before all the new compile changes but doesn't now

You still have access to my in-house testing.

edited September 2021

@pinkio75 Admob Interstitial Ad loading fixed for AAB generation.

(Nice thing about the way I do aab generation, I can actually patch certain code directly on the server without a giant rollout and upload).

@badcomics do you have subscriptions? I think it may be something to do with removing the flag that takes away the Billing Version 3 error. If you don't it still may be that, but I need to check.

@strag @nir3112 ping support for help with singing, testing is going well for new APK generation, but I need to make sure all the targets work so it will be a tad longer

@Binny - still need to look into it

Could you DM me a publishing link and app store link @badcomics and @Binny

Thanks!

@adent42 I fixed the problems with creating the private key.

I have Fonts problems now, some letters shows as squares…

I PM you my publish link.

thanks!

edited September 2021

Community, I apologize for being away for a bit. I've needed to take over some extra duties the last couple of weeks, so I haven't been debugging.

The last thing I did aside from fixing Ad Mob was to get a test game running with IAP, and the generated app worked fine purchasing and restoring purchases. I need to confirm one more thing about consumables, but that means bugs are likely going to be game specific (either bad logic or logic that worked but no longer works due to slight changes in how Google times payment calls).

I also need to look into @nir3112 's font issue. Once I get second to assess what I need to look at, I'll reach out to people about their issues and put the final results here.

@adent42, if that is the case, How can we know that code worked before but no longer. My other games have the same logic but continue to work fine? Is there a logic example that we can see to make sure?

Sorry, my example code is very simple @badcomics, so it's unlikely to help. I'll take a look at your project and see if I can think of anything.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Which Android 11 problem @freneticz ?

The current AAB build solves all know Android 11 problems as far as I'm aware.

@badcomics issues was a missing config

@nir3112 seems works with my testing so I think it just needs to push the latest aab or an APK derived from it

@pinkio75 admob problem is fixed as of the latest release.

@Binny touch issue was also not visible on the latest AAB release

We fixed a host of issues with Android 11 and certain devices (like Samsung and Pixels 4s) in the second to last AAB build. The APK build is still behind, but that will hopefully be fixed by this weekend.

• solnikasolnika Member Posts: 132

Hi, @adent42

What about simplify the AAB signing process, any news on that?

@adent42 is my issue fixed?

@adent42 thanks fir the help, I’ll try to sign again and send to the store.

I sent to you my signed AAB

@badcomics check your messages.

@nir3112 has helped me find a font loading issue with AABs, so I'll be looking into that.

@solnika yes, we are still planning on working on a new signing tool

Great thanks, will wait for it for now.

@solnika with our current schedule I wouldn't wait if you want to submit your games. Contact our support team and they can help you with your command line.

For mac you can create a shell script to make it easier for you.

For windows you can create a batch file or powershell script.

With my script signing for me is now just: ~/signApk.sh <apkfile> <optional keystore>

@adent42 thanks for the follow up, will try it and contact support if needed then.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327
    edited October 2021

Here is a very crude Applescript app that will ask you for the bundletool lacation, AAB location, bundle name, keystore location, keystore password, then output an APKS and APK with the same filename as the AAB in the same folder as the AAB. It doesn't do much error checking and is very barebones, but was enough for my needs.

I did one for signing an AAB too but will need to find it.

http://www.armelline.com/GenerateAPK.zip

Here's the a text file with the Applescript itself for those who'd rather build the app themselves:

• pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,211
    edited October 2021