Edit custom resolution... it's been years...

izamizam Member, PRO Posts: 503

Hi.

Am I the only one who is finding this really ruining the user experience for us game creators using Gamesalad?

Why can't we list and have it kept in memory?

Why do we have to keep keying this in every time we test the gameplay?

This really ruins the experience for us.

It has been years and yet this has not been addressed.

What's going on here.

Does anyone have any workaround for this?

Do I have to dig into the preference file inside the creator and set my own resolution from there?

Anyone?

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

Agreed. Most frustrating feature. Even just adding the modern resolutions would help aliviate the problem if fixing this issue is unexpectedly troublesome.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

Totally agree! I've been banging on about it for ages. Crying out for a long-form phone resolution.

It's the most frustrating, time-consuming and repetitive task that makes developing a really horrible experience. I would forfeit ANY new features for a whole year to have this single issue fixed.

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

I think the same way:/ Can't we do something about it? @adent42

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Okay, here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/64emicsldpfmb93/GameSalad-1.25.104-20220902.zip?dl=0

Caveats:

• This build is largely untested
    • GameSalad, up until this point, has depended on Garbage Collection in Objective-c, which has now been disabled. This means that it's likely this version of GameSalad will leak memory even more than usual.
    • Use a copy of your project with this version, save often, watch your memory usage, close GameSalad and re-open often.

This is a mini-release just for you guys. We're working through the conversion from GC (garbage collection) to ARC (Automatic Reference Counting) which is required to avoid the memory leaking issues before we can do a "real" release. But this should be an okay stop-gap, especially if you have a lot of RAM.

Haven't spent long testing this but Overscan appears to be broken. It's acting like Stretch.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@strag i need to double check but i think that might be OS specific (and I need to figure out which fidgibits to flip). Which OS version are you running?

Ah, okay... i think I remember something similar. I'm on 12.0, so it's gotta be something we need to debug there. Thanks!

👍️

Found the issue, it's not OS version but retina vs non-retina. I think I have a fix, should see another link soon.

Great! That works @adent42. No stretching, it remembers the custom resolution, and so far the memory leak is not causing me any issues.

Thanks again! I will cease my ranting!...for a while...😉

• izamizam Member, PRO Posts: 503

I am so pumped! I will try this latest version and report back soon!

• izamizam Member, PRO Posts: 503

This is exactly what we have been waiting for years! Thank you!

@adent42 I'm seeing a problem with the touch location of buttons. Not sure why it seems to be offset when I switch to overscan mode.

All other modes like stretch has no issues.

Please see this in action in this video

https://vimeo.com/751070364

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 521

Hi, I am working on my game hud settings according to the different mobiles aspect ratios, with and without notch, etc... the thing is that most of today's cell phones are no longer 16:9 (now have 18:9, 19:9 and 19.5:9)... it is super difficult to have to create the " Edit Custom Resolution..." every time you play, because what was defined is not saved.

Reading here, I see that @adent42 released a preliminary version of GS after the latest official one, 103, right?... but since it is already more than a year old and it is not clear to me if it is safe to use or there is already another one to replace it .

Or perhaps I can modify a file where the preview resolutions are defined?

Thank you

edited September 2023

@CasualEvolution https://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/98827/macos-creator-1-25-105-beta

This version saves the custom resolutions, but there's a couple of other bugs so I keep 103 and 105 both in my dock. The main issue with 105 is that you can't edit the conditions of loops, so if you're not needing loops you'll probably be fine sticking with just 105.

Creator 2, the web-based one, is pretty far ahead of the Mac version at this point. It's worth trying it out.

Thanks!

I'm going to try version 105, I didn't know it existed!

The bug that you mention in 105 simply does not allow you to edit the loops, but does it not break the loops already created?

As for trying the web version, I would be happy to do so, but I tried to open this project in the web version and I have 62 errors to correct... the other thing that does not encourage me is that the project makes intensive use of physics and was balanced considering their behavior on Mac, am I afraid that when using the web version this will change?

Now with the 105 beta it is much more comfortable having the custom resolution saved... a detail to "note" is that it would be good, for the resolution that one chooses to remain as default for the next preview and not require it to be chosen again every time.

On the other hand, I just looked at the project again in the web version and I was wrong, I have 62 errors in scenes and also, 58 in objects! hahaha... I guess there's something I "usually do" that doesn't work in the web version.

It only stops you editing/making new loops, doesn't break or change existing ones!

And yes for the web Creator errors, it's always the same for me :D For me, it's mostly that I have a bad habit of doing maths on strings and web creator really doesn't like that!

edited September 2023

Yes! was just observing that one of the problems has to do with what you say... I have booleans inside an expression...

((game["Aspect Ratio"]>2)and(game["APP STORE"]==1))and(game.Screen_Y_base+50)or(game.Screen_Y_base+10)

This type of thing makes the code more compact... separating this into rules is going to require a lot of work, since I have some expressions that will require many concatenated "IF"s :(

Another thing, I have noticed 2 things in the web editor, which could be improved:

1- when clicking in on error from the error list, it could take you directly to this error... for now I have to delete blocks, until I see that an error disappears and then inside that block again... a process of successive approximations :P

2- It seems to me that expression groups should not be evaluated in "OFF"... this would simplify the search for an error, it would allow having "code in development" that, despite having errors, does not matter because it is turned off... which would allow the game to run

Yeah that kind of expression isn't allowed in the web Creator, unfortunately! Technically, it was never supported in the older Creators either, it was a "hack". A handy one but a hack nonetheless!