GameSalad

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two questions, text color and new line for display text?

SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Posts: 797Member
edited November 2015 in Working with GS (PC)

Hey,

How do we define custom colors for text on Windows? I can't seem to be able to do this. I am on 1.23.5772.31308 Windows 10 GameSalad Creator. Also, how do I add a new line of text with "\n" in the display text?

Comments

  • NicrisNicris Posts: 34Member

    I wonder the same thing. This didn't used to happen, but the "Define Custom Colors" button is grayed out for scenes and actors. Sounds like a bug, can a dev confirm and let us know when this will be fixed?

  • tatiangtatiang Posts: 11,843Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef
    edited November 2015

    A new line can be added two ways (I use a Mac so forgive me if either of these don't work for you):

    1) Add "\n" to the text expression by concatenating it with two periods (..). For example, the Display Text expression "first line".."\n".."second line" should appear as:

    first line
    second line

    2) Press alt+enter (on a Mac, option+return) to create a new line within the expression editor. So it would look like this in the editor:

    first line [invisible alt+enter newline character]
    second line

    New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

  • SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Posts: 797Member

    @tataing. Neither of those work. Thanks though!

  • Perritech BetaPerritech Beta Posts: 14Member, PRO

    I didn't try a new line, but do you have any info about custom colors not working?

  • ArmellineArmelline Posts: 4,774Member, PRO

    @jdlcrater said:
    @tataing. Neither of those work. Thanks though!

    If neither of those work there's something you're not telling us, as both of those work :D

  • GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Posts: 478Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO GameSalad Employee

    @Armelline said:

    @jdlcrater said:
    @tataing. Neither of those work. Thanks though!

    If neither of those work there's something you're not telling us, as both of those work :D

    They may work on the Mac, but Windows is different. There is no support for line breaks at the moment because there really isn't a good platform agnostic way to do it. Windows uses a different line ending character than the Mac/Devices and the way the text is laid out is also different. I agree it would be a useful thing to have, but not a quick fix unfortunately.

    Allowing you to create/choose custom colors in the picker isn't that difficult, but making them persist would take some time. It's on my list of tings to worry about. :)

  • Perritech BetaPerritech Beta Posts: 14Member, PRO
    edited November 2015

    @GeorgeGS said:

    @Armelline said:

    @jdlcrater said:
    @tataing. Neither of those work. Thanks though!

    If neither of those work there's something you're not telling us, as both of those work :D

    They may work on the Mac, but Windows is different. There is no support for line breaks at the moment because there really isn't a good platform agnostic way to do it. Windows uses a different line ending character than the Mac/Devices and the way the text is laid out is also different. I agree it would be a useful thing to have, but not a quick fix unfortunately.

    Allowing you to create/choose custom colors in the picker isn't that difficult, but making them persist would take some time. It's on my list of tings to worry about. :)

    Since Windows GS used to be able to define custom colors in an earlier release (0.13.x), do you mean this is indeed a bug that isn't difficult to fix?

  • SLOCM3ZSLOCM3Z Posts: 797Member

    @Armelline said:
    If neither of those work there's something you're not telling us, as both of those work :D

    They don't work because I'm on Windows :D . I put them in just like @tatiang said to. @GeorgeGS I hope you can work on this soon. It is really bugging me.

  • ArmellineArmelline Posts: 4,774Member, PRO

    @GeorgeGS said:
    They may work on the Mac, but Windows is different. There is no support for line breaks at the moment because there really isn't a good platform agnostic way to do it. Windows uses a different line ending character than the Mac/Devices and the way the text is laid out is also different. I agree it would be a useful thing to have, but not a quick fix unfortunately.

    I just got schooled!

  • Perritech BetaPerritech Beta Posts: 14Member, PRO
    edited December 2015

    Since we haven't heard otherwise from a dev, I put in a bug for this issue that you can vote on here.

    http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1489

    @jdlcrater said:

    @Armelline said:
    If neither of those work there's something you're not telling us, as both of those work :D

    They don't work because I'm on Windows :D . I put them in just like @tatiang said to. @GeorgeGS I hope you can work on this soon. It is really bugging me.

    Agreed - being restricted to the basic colors is a rough one.

Sign In or Register to comment.