OFF TOPIC: What's Your Day Job?

AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
edited November -1 in Miscellaneous
Hi guys,

Just a bit of fun to get to know each other even more! I know we're all devs here but just wondering what your day jobs are? Be interesting to see the varied occupations we all hold!

Myself, I started as an actor at 14 ("Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star" sadly pretty much portrays my life). I then went into writing (predominantly automotive journalism), then became the sound guy... did a TV travel show, various TV series and movies and now I'm back to writing in New Zealand after failing miserably at acting in Australia (ended up in a call centre for six months - couldn't get any writing work, either!)

So, luckily, I'm back doing what I love (though I would like to do some more acting!) I like getting free cars and being able to sit down on the job. LOL!

So, what do you guys do?

Comments

• AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    Hehe, I remember that... was a LOOOOOOONG time ago.
  • peachpellenpeachpellen Member Posts: 977
    My profile here says it well;

"I go from being self employed to unemployed quite regularly, mostly because I don't get on well with my boss" :P

I do internet "stuff" mostly, a whole range of things online - I can't hold down a regular job because I have insane hours and doubt my partner or myself would survive if we were apart for 8 hours plus a day. We're horribly codependent. ^-^;

For awhile I did write for a living, but I hated it. I ended up working myself sick and needing surgery - yeah, just from writing so much - then I quit because everyone I knew was worried I'd do it again. (I don't blame them, I kept trying to write when I got home and wasn't even meant to sit up >.<')

If I ever get rich from apps I'll start some kind of "real" business.
  • TymeMasterTymeMaster Member Posts: 527
    My day job is to drive my wife crazy.
    TymeMaster said:
    My day job is to drive my wife crazy.

How old are you? I thought you were one of the younger kids here. ^-^;

No offense intended, I'm just not up to date on who anyone is besides the few people I've had multiple conversations with >.<'
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    This lol

I make game salad games. I love the tool and think its amazing.

Also the better part of the day is consumed by coding a non game salad game.
    I have been working on it off and on for months and months.

I dont recommend the non game salad method unless you really can devote full time to it.
    I am probably 2k hours+ into it and at the same time have released 13 game salad apps that pay the bills.... sort of .... lol

I didnt know of game salad when i had started that project but, I certainly dont want to abandon it. I have so much invested in it.
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    I'm Master of Economics just after graduation. Now I'm going to study postgraduate in game development.
    Now I'm working only on my game :-) And that's what I like the most :-)
    peachpellen said:
    How old are you?

And yes, many times I still do act like a kid, you probably will too! It keeps you young! LOL
  • RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    JamesZeppelin said:
    I am probably 2k hours+ into it

Sheez, that's around 6 hours a day for one year solid!

I'm starting uni one week today.
    TymeMaster said:

And yes, many times I still do act like a kid, you probably will too! It keeps you young! LOL

Quite a lot older than I thought XD If I live to be 52 I hope I still act like a kid - but I don't see that happening.

Maybe I'll just act more like a kid now to make up for it - I figure my crazy hours and time spent wasted playing video games is a good start.

James - how long have you been working on that game?
  • ToastKittenToastKitten Member Posts: 360
    College :)
    peachpellen said:
    Quite a lot older than I thought XD If I live to be 52 I hope I still act like a kid - but I don't see that happening.

Maybe I'll just act more like a kid now to make up for it - I figure my crazy hours and time spent wasted playing video games is a good start.

James - how long have you been working on that game?

You never know :)

I've been VERY lucky in my career that I have been able to do nothing but write software, and not only that, I did nothing but Games and Productivity apps (like 3D Ray Tracers, Photo editing, Flash like game authoring system (yep, similar to GS)). I never had to program boring stuff like database apps, word processors, etc. Always FUN stuff!

Young people like you are very lucky to be exposed to fun stuff like game development at a young age! It is very cool, and you guys are very smart! I can't imagine some of the games that will be out 20 years from now!

You can have fun like a kid for as long as you desire!
    TymeMaster said:
    You never know :)

I've been VERY lucky in my career that I have been able to do nothing but write software, and not only that, I did nothing but Games and Productivity apps (like 3D Ray Tracers, Photo editing, Flash like game authoring system (yep, similar to GS)). I never had to program boring stuff like database apps, word processors, etc. Always FUN stuff!

Young people like you are very lucky to be exposed to fun stuff like game development at a young age! It is very cool, and you guys are very smart! I can't imagine some of the games that will be out 20 years from now!

You can have fun like a kid for as long as you desire!

How many apps have you got in the store? I wouldn't mind looking at them sometime :)

After this I wont post in this thread again just to avoid going way off topic from where the OP was headed - but still, I'd be curious to know. :)
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    When I am not teaching manners to 8th graders I am teaching them science.

Not a lot of science gets taught I'm afraid :)
    scitunes said:
    When I am not teaching manners to 8th graders I am teaching them science.

Not a lot of science gets taught I'm afraid :)

Does your school have metal detectors and security guards? I've seen that in movies. LOL.
    peachpellen said:
    How many apps have you got in the store? I wouldn't mind looking at them sometime :)

After this I wont post in this thread again just to avoid going way off topic from where the OP was headed - but still, I'd be curious to know. :)

Hehe, in the App store? NONE yet. I have developed 4 apps with XCode for two different clients, but I cannot give the titles out (because they don't want people to know they farmed out the work). I will say that none of them took off, but that wasn't my fault :)

I am here because I want to do my own game, but instead of using XCode I would rather use something like Torque, Unity or GameSalad for the sheer speed at which you can get stuff out there. The hardest part for me is doing the graphics, I am NOT a good artist! So this also gives me more time to work on the art (I can render stuff in 3D and save the results out as sprites).

All the other games and apps I worked on were for the Amiga, C=64, PC, and the Mac. My mobile development background is minimal.
    TymeMaster said:
    Hehe, in the App store? NONE yet. I have developed 4 apps with XCode for two different clients, but I cannot give the titles out (because they don't want people to know they farmed out the work). I will say that none of them took off, but that wasn't my fault :)

I am here because I want to do my own game, but instead of using XCode I would rather use something like Torque, Unity or GameSalad for the sheer speed at which you can get stuff out there. The hardest part for me is doing the graphics, I am NOT a good artist! So this also gives me more time to work on the art (I can render stuff in 3D and save the results out as sprites).

All the other games and apps I worked on were for the Amiga, C=64, PC, and the Mac. My mobile development background is minimal.

Ooooh, what did you do on C64? I'd still LOVE to release a game for that one day!
  • ShpintShpint Member Posts: 404
    Mateen_Appstore said:
    Hahaha that's so cool! I'm in gd8 :)

U r in 8th grade?? I though u were 14?

THIS is my job :) I'm still a student.
    The C64 game was embarassing, it was called Eggz and was based on a birds (moving across top of screen) dropping eggs that you need to catch. I sold it on BBS's and could not get a publisher. It did do one good thing for me, it landed me my first programming job :)

It was written in BASIC and ML, it could have all been done in BASIC but I wanted to mess with ML for speed reasons.

The 64 was cool, the 128 was even better (with the built in assembler).
    I love the C64. Never really had much time with the 128 though I have owned one. Had no 128 specific software :(
    You should get a C64 EMU, I think there are free ones.
  • chosenonestudioschosenonestudios Member Posts: 1,714
    POLYGAMe said:
    Myself, I started as an actor at 14 ("Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star" sadly pretty much portrays my life).

What!? Are you 3ing kidding me!??

Were you the kid that was Dickies like step-son kinda!????

I 3ing love that movie!

I didn't know their were any movie stars here!

Oh, also I'm in school and my job is currently in Game Development. I started out mowing lawns to get enough money to buy my mac, my licenses, my iPod etc. After that I've been doing Game Development full time since I joined GS in March. I'm going to do a couple more GS projects and then I'm moving on to Corona. I'm taking programming and graphics classes so I can hopefully make a career out of this.

Hah, now you know. :)
    Hey Poly, you remember a C64 BBS software named C-Net by some guy named Ken Pletzer? That was written in BASIC and ML, we used to write add-ons (similar to doors on PC Board).
    chosenonestudios said:
    What!? Are you 3ing kidding me!??

Were you the kid that was Dickies like step-son kinda!????

I 3ing love that movie!

I didn't know their were any movie stars here!

LOL. hardly a movie star. My first role was in a movie but it was tiny. I then spent 13 years on a TV soap - kinda ruins the acting career - just like Dickie Roberts! LOL.
    TymeMaster said:
    Hey Poly, you remember a C64 BBS software named C-Net by some guy named Ken Pletzer? That was written in BASIC and ML, we used to write add-ons (similar to doors on PC Board).

Nah, never got into the BBS stuff... too technical for my tiny mind. LOL. I just gamed on it ;-)
  • chosenonestudioschosenonestudios Member Posts: 1,714
    POLYGAMe said:
    LOL. hardly a movie star. My first role was in a movie but it was tiny. I then spent 13 years on a TV soap - kinda ruins the acting career - just like Dickie Roberts! LOL.

Oooh like Dickie Roberts. Got it, still cool though!
    13 years on a soap and one movie pretty much means you're more of a star than any of us, lol
    Three movies... first one was called "My Grandpa is a Vampire" starred Grandpa Munster! The next one my part was cut from and the final one is my own - "Captain Amazingly Incredible". The soap is still running here in NZ but it's changed a LOT, also on in Aussie and the UK... not sure if it's still running in Canada but was on a small channel there and a handful of other countries around the world. Called Shortland Street. Basically like Neighbours or Home and Away, if anyone's seen those... not exactly awe-inspiring television but it has its place, I suppose.
  • jstrahanjstrahan Member Posts: 498
    floor installer (ceramic,wood,laminate,natural stone) used to do carpet and vinyl also but was so good at the company wouldnt give me any of the real money makers so i quit doing carpet and vinyl
    POLYGAMe said:
    Three movies... first one was called "My Grandpa is a Vampire" starred Grandpa Munster!

Al Lewis? Very cool!
    Yeah... he chewed a LOT of chewing tobacco and was very tall as I remember... I was tiny myself though, being 14. LOL.