A Message to the GameSalad Community

Comments

• butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    artonskyblue said:
    Hahahah I'm not gonna calm down, this is awesome!!!!!! :)

Before we were all furious, now we're all happy!

I know I was just laughing because you said "YES" but I expected the MOST enthusiasm out of you!

At any rate, this is SUCH good news, what a fricken' relief!
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    Way to go!

Makin' everybody HAPPY!

Thanx for listening... and thanx for caring ... and hugs and kisses!

MH
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    OMG..... This is exciting.....

All I wish for is no more memory leaks.

Thank YOU GS for listening. Just ignore my refund email!
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
  • gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
    AWESOME news! GameSalad now has an excellent opportunity to be a major player in the app world.

Thank you powers that be at GameSalad for listening to your customers!
  • BeyondtheTechBeyondtheTech Member Posts: 809
    Behold the Power of the Internets!!!

But seriously, like I said, I had faith in the company and the engine, and hoped they would value their current customer base. There's nothing wrong with having both publishing methods, and we all as developers should exercise a lot more effort when releasing titles, whether it be on your own, or with the GameSalad logo. Remember, you are still representing all other GameSalad developers with your releases, so let's not give GameSalad or any other reviewer or customer reason to denounce the name or the engine.

For those who have thought they "jumped ship" or are starting to use other engines as well, remember, it's ultimately in your hands to make the best game possible with the best tools at hand. I have begun development with the Corona engine, but I still have unfinished titles and other titles that I would still like to use GameSalad for. There are certain things I really want to do that GameSalad currently does not offer, such as creating a level editor for a game that you can send game data to other users (one of my favorite features of a game), so I will work with both engines in parallel until GameSalad can offer that.

I'm glad the community can still stick together, and I'm more glad that GameSalad is ultimately listening to its community as well. Took you a little bit, but then again, we should be kinda used to it by now.

Let's hope that the next news and update is just as exciting.
  • RondoRocketRondoRocket Member Posts: 411
    Most EPIC announcement EVER! This is really great news. Thanks for reconsidering and offering everyone a solution to their needs.
  • vegasmike1vegasmike1 Member Posts: 192
    So one of you Sousie Que folks do the breakdown so the oldest member of the bunch can wrap some gray matter. Or just confirm,

Go free with all the goodies and have GS be your publisher
    Go express and pay a subscription fee
    with a submission per game fee
    Go Pro pay a bigger amount and
    a submission fee
    Or do we all just get naked and dance in the flames in the dark.

I want to be excited really I do, but it seems that we have to wait for another week
    or so to get the crystal clear story.

Come on TSB you know the answers give it up.
  • izamizam Member, PRO Posts: 503
    Go Gamesalad team! This has been the best announcement in a "very long time"!
    Thank you for listening to the community :D
  • juzcookjuzcook Member Posts: 259
    honestly, with the previous announcement i lost a bit of enthusiasm when working on my major project, and i was preparing to leave the community. but now with this new announcement, it looks like theyve taken all of our concerns onboard and are making gamesalad TRULY for everyone. i cant wait to see what new features we have access to, and being able to publish under my own name is what is keeping me here. thanks gamesalad!
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    Great news!!!! Now the skeptic in me. Anyone else feel like they planned this all along so they could announce a price raise for both the express and pro versions and avoid complaints about that and instead have everyone praise them for taking more money. Now back to the happiness. Even if that is the case, I've always thought the express subscription was priced too low. So I am just happy we have the options we always have had.

Cheers
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    tshirtbooth said:
    I have a strange feeling the price will be the same or lower.

:)

That would be amazing. But they said they would make the upgrades affordable which makes me think there will be a price hike. But who cares.

FYI. My provisioning profile for GS Viewer just expired today. That was near the end for me as I was so mad about the whole GS Direct I did not even want to take the time to renew it. Figure I would just walk away and spend my time learning Corona. But... I decided to take one last look on the website to see if there was any actual news. My reaction: "Holy" cow. I just renewed the provisioning profile for GS Viewer and am now back to work on my games. So happy.
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    AMAZING, best news from GS! Thanks!
  • rdcuberdcube Member Posts: 361
    Not quite sure how to feel about this.
    I'm happy we're getting options again, but I'm not making any money and not made out of money to be spending on uncertainty :S

Corona offer expires this Sunday and GS hasn't provided more details.

What to do?!?! What y'all recommend?!?!
  • danlbryantdanlbryant Member Posts: 236

YES!
  • victorkin11victorkin11 Member Posts: 251
    lucky, I have not bought corona!
  • alcamiealcamie Member Posts: 53
    Well I have bought Corona and am having some great results so far. Yes it's a little more effort to learn but things like scrolling backgrounds work first time everytime without any performance issues..
    I'm happy that there is this change happening but I must say that I have been left feeling a little burnt by this whole fiasco. I do hope there is performance enhancements of course and I do hope more than anything that communication happens more readily in the future.
    But more than anything, I hope we're not left waiting another 1500+ posts before we see the real figures and details on the proposed new subs.

And whoever did it, please do not ever and I mean ever mr moderators edit my posts to change what I have said. It shows a flagrant disregard for what FORUM stands for. Censoring is fine, changing my words isn't.

Alcamie
  • magic101himagic101hi Member Posts: 713
    wait so can we still use our old subs?

-Josh
  • victorkin11victorkin11 Member Posts: 251
    @alcamie

Corona is great, but not exactly what I wanted. and

Yodapollo said

"NEXT WEEK, we are also launching a new “Professional” tier subscription, replacing the current “Pro” subscription. Further, the current “Express” subscription will also be seeing significant tweaks as well. "
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    At last.... What we've all been waiting to hear.

Now we just need to see the details/pricing so everyone can relax and decide how to make their future commitments. I guess waiting till next week for both the new pricing structure and the 0.9 release isn't too bad.

I'm just glad they decided to listen to the community, and keep more options open to us. I think there's still going to be some way to go before they can regain the trust of the community, but this is definitely a good step in the right direction.

I'm looking forward to see the new pricing, and the new version of the software.
  • CapCap Member Posts: 225
    That's unfair! I collected a bunch of cool swear words for the next yellow post, now this! ;-)
    But at least now we can all develop games the way we want for the...

• peachpellenpeachpellen Member Posts: 977
    SingleSparq said:
    Quick - someone phone Peachpellen!

Haha, thanks for sparing me a thought!

It's incredibly good news and I'm very happy about it - I got an email from someone here when this thread was posted with a recap and link to it, but I took a little to think on it.

I'm thrilled and my faith is for the most part restored; while it's a scary thing and has made me entirely reconsider having all my eggs in the one "bowl" as it were, I couldn't be happier about this. I will continue to use GameSalad and as for my desktop picture, well, it will get some changes to the point that it includes both the GS logo AND the Corona logo.

I'll still be sticking with Corona as well, however - I feel it is better for creating certain things and at this stage the end results are typically superior to GS made games, both in performance and in functionality; also, learning Lua has been fun and having come so far I plan to stick with it, and Corona, permanently.

This news means two things for me;
    1) GameSalad isn't going to crash and burn, they changed their minds about screwing over the indies and they are making things right.

2) With the last few weeks having been dedicated to Corona and a game well, WELL underway, I feel that I can now broaden my horizons and have the best of all worlds.

Really, I couldn't be happier about all of this - for a few weeks there GS morphed from my 2nd great love to a hideous monster, waiting to implode; we were all crushed - but then it really came through.

Still, is there any chance of some kind of assurance this isn't going to happen again? At least not for say the next year or so? I'm thrilled I can continue to use GS but my trust is still rather shaken.
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    peachpellen said:
    Haha, thanks for sparing me a thought!

It's incredibly good news and I'm very happy about it - I got an email from someone here when this thread was posted with a recap and link to it, but I took a little to think on it.

I'm thrilled and my faith is for the most part restored; while it's a scary thing and has made me entirely reconsider having all my eggs in the one "bowl" as it were, I couldn't be happier about this. I will continue to use GameSalad and as for my desktop picture, well, it will get some changes to the point that it includes both the GS logo AND the Corona logo.

I'll still be sticking with Corona as well, however - I feel it is better for creating certain things and at this stage the end results are typically superior to GS made games, both in performance and in functionality; also, learning Lua has been fun and having come so far I plan to stick with it, and Corona, permanently.

This news means two things for me;
    1) GameSalad isn't going to crash and burn, they changed their minds about screwing over the indies and they are making things right.

2) With the last few weeks having been dedicated to Corona and a game well, WELL underway, I feel that I can now broaden my horizons and have the best of all worlds.

Really, I couldn't be happier about all of this - for a few weeks there GS morphed from my 2nd great love to a hideous monster, waiting to implode; we were all crushed - but then it really came through.

Still, is there any chance of some kind of assurance this isn't going to happen again? At least not for say the next year or so? I'm thrilled I can continue to use GS but my trust is still rather shaken.

I dont think they were trying to screw indies over; I admit I was confused about the whole thing myself though about how they were going to implement things.
  • stanimationstanimation Member Posts: 406
    Awesome news!!! So happy!!! I bought Corona. It's cool. More difficult but cool. Just another tool. But GS is waaaaay easier for shizzle! GS Rocks!
  • SDMGSDMG Member Posts: 280
    great!
  • BackUpAndDownBackUpAndDown Member Posts: 685
    Thanks! This is awesome.

Hope it's released soon. ^_^
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Wow ... What a weekend! Got a new game go live last night and then i awake to this! Thank you sooo much for listening Gendai/GameSalad, if truth be told, i never wanted to leave you. What you offer here is amazing and i want to be a part of your rise! I feel loyalty towards you after being with you for a year of beta, in that year the engine has got much better and it continues to get better with each update. I appreciate you dont update as quick as other engines, you're probably a smaller team to be fair, but one thing i do know is that recently working till 1am and weekends, i gotta give it to ya, you've been putting in 100%. Keep up the great work!
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    Superb news... well done and thanks for all your hard work...it must have been a very alarming few weeks... my green is waiting :)
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    I would like to say thank you to the Gendai Group for both listening and valuing their customers. I will withhold final thoughts for when the details of the modified plan comes out...but things are sounding positive.

I think most have said that they want a tool...not a publisher. And if what I read in the OP is what I think it is...we now have a tool...and priced competitively.

I truly think this is a win-win if they don't gouge us and keep the pricing reasonable. The per app pricing seems like it could work for everyone...again...so long as it is truly competitively priced.

I still think GS has a good hill to climb to be a viable contender in the performance department for serious developers...but I will continue to give the GS dev team time to get there...and I look forward to the next update to see the progress achieved against their previous benchmarks.

Thanks again for the update and the change of heart. I do honestly believe this will be better in the end. We (app developers) want options...and flexibility...and the new pricing model proposed in the OP seems like that will get us there...and still provide potential financial viability for the company.

I apologize to the GS team on behalf of myself and all if we came across a bit harsh and emotionally charged. We are a passionate bunch it seems...and you mix that with a touch of internet anonymity and you can get an overheated exchange. So hats off to the team and to the COO/CEO for respecting and at some level accepting the community's passionate opinions.

Still on hold...awaiting the plan's details,
    ~Syn
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    synthesis said:
    I apologize to the GS team on behalf of myself and all if we came across a bit harsh and emotionally charged. We are a passionate bunch it seems...and you mix that with a touch of internet anonymity and you can get an overheated exchange. So hats off to the team and to the COO/CEO for respecting and at some level accepting the community's passionate opinions.

+1