A Message to the GameSalad Community

Comments

• jweaver911jweaver911 Member Posts: 439
    Won't be renewing my subscription after march either... This is too little info way too late for me. I've been woo'd away already by a different product that yields what I believe are better results with lightyears-better communication.
    Maybe I'm just a bit sceptical but this whole ordeal has really tarnished my view of gamesalad. I'm really not entirely sure why everybody is so excited. Basically what they have done is announce an update that was suppose to be awesome. Made everyone wait for said update. Then they changed their minds and turned said update into the infamously ridiculous new GSD that everyone hated on.... Now they give a few more vague niceties and everything is better than ever??
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    @jweaver911, I hear ya!

While I'm not packing up just yet, I plan to look a little closer at some of the alternatives in case the new subscriptions & update aren't everything I need. I called it in another thread, but I think Gendai did some unrepairable damage to their current/past user base with the GSD ordeal. They'll survive, because they don't really need us. You can talk about how they changed things just because we asked, but I don't really think that a business plan that caused that big of an uproar from current customers would have survived for long in their target market (recreational "developers") either. We were/are pretty much being used as a focus group; and we didn't like the first pitch. This will continue until they can find a happy medium between customer satisfaction and profitability. The main issue in my opinion is that GameSalad is trying to be profitable way too early. If they focused on VC funding and built out a viable product, they would take off like crazy! No, they'd rather make a play for our chump change instead of letting the product mature and at least get to 1.0 before bringing it to the mass market.

Like I said, I'll stick around because I do feel GameSalad has something. I'm just not sure anyone really fully knows what IT is yet...
  • DevilsDevils Member Posts: 561
    I don't get it first the people where crying over the new GSD now that they announced that it will just be an extra membership aside from the express and new pro everyone is still crying. Wait for the update it will probably be worth it.
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    Hello all.

I noticed some people were asking about publishing and if we were doing away with the idea entirely. Not at all. I can tell you that there will still be opportunities to have your games published through GameSalad and those opportunities will go live together with the new membership options.

Thanks for the continued comments and glad to hear so many of you are so excited. The team here is incredible jazzed about this direction for GameSalad and we're working very hard to get it ready for you as soon as possible.

Mahalo.
  • AppArcadeAppArcade Member Posts: 64
    Yodapollo said:
    Hello all.

I noticed some people were asking about publishing and if we were doing away with the idea entirely. Not at all. I can tell you that there will still be opportunities to have your games published through GameSalad and those opportunities will go live together with the new membership options.

Thanks for the continued comments and glad to hear so many of you are so excited. The team here is incredible jazzed about this direction for GameSalad and we're working very hard to get it ready for you as soon as possible.

Mahalo.

This is just amazing guys... just... amazing! :D
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Dude! Im SO HAPPY! Want to have the UPDATE NOW and buy Pro!
  • forkliftforklift Member Posts: 386
    So will every version of the new model still have full features? There's still so many questions left unanswered.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Maybe a big picture update is in order? It has been 3 mths since the last one
  • JackBQuickJackBQuick Member Posts: 524
    Yodapollo said:
    I can tell you that there will still be opportunities to have your games published through GameSalad and those opportunities will go live together with the new membership options.

I'm looking forward to finding out more about the options available. It's really great that GameSalad took the community's concerns into consideration. I think you have an amazing product, and want to see both GameSalad and its users develop and prosper. Group hug?
  • CapCap Member Posts: 225
    Yodapollo said: The team here is incredible jazzed about this direction for GameSalad and we're working very hard to get it ready for you as soon as possible.

Good luck and keep it up! :-)
  • vegasmike1vegasmike1 Member Posts: 192
    Direction is important and moving at the speed of light gives you time to come back and start over if you make a mistake. Going slow causes many problems, but all of us at Impulse wish you the very best and we wait with anticipation and support. Go.
  • RondoRocketRondoRocket Member Posts: 411
    I can't remember where I read it but isn't there suppose to eventually be a GS App Viewer that we download from the App Store and use to view our apps? Is that something that all memberships will have access to or just GSDirect members? I thought that was a pretty cool idea if I understand it correctly.
  • wraithstaffwraithstaff Member Posts: 12
    As long as you don't get rid of the new iAD support with the the new program, I'm jazzed. I almost cried when I heard about Direct. All I ever wanted was to make iDevice games for my own Apple account (with no Gamesalad watermark or revenue sharing, mind you) and give them away for free with AD support being how they bring home the bacon... mmmm bacon :)

+ If Pro is cheaper, that couldn't hurt either :P
    wraithstaff, iAds won't bring home the bacon. I have 4 apps with iAds and I'm getting a total of $1-$2 a day.

You're better off making a good game and charging $.99 for it.
  • wraithstaffwraithstaff Member Posts: 12
    @jonmulcahy, I personally know a few developers who make make over 20k a week due to AD integration. Their games aren't anything to write home about, but they're still solid. The key is to have transition screens between levels that contain the ADs (if you didn't know that already). Their games are marketed fairly well too, they didn't just let them sit there "unheralded" like so many other apps tend to. Generate enough buzz around a game and the money will come :)
  • gameviccigamevicci Member, PRO Posts: 306
    jonmulcahy said:
    wraithstaff, iAds won't bring home the bacon. I have 4 apps with iAds and I'm getting a total of $1-$2 a day.

You're better off making a good game and charging $.99 for it.

I got 2000$ in 2 months with iAd in Stone Wheel.
    Now I get only 2 dollars a day, but I think iAd support for pro members is great.
    then you guys are EXTREMELY lucky. Most people here will tell you that iAds only brings in a few dollars a day
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Woop! woop!
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    Guys, you are too easy to excite...
    Just pay attention, you don't fall to deep and hit yourself too hard...

I just wait for the actual announcement with real facts and numbers (prices).
    I am still waiting for the feature list of the update.

It must be a miracle build if they want to get me excited.

As far as I know these guys, they will come up with an even bigger mess...
  • MedrakMedrak Member Posts: 7
    Hi guys, i am new to game salad and i didn't understand what is the big change...
    I have paid for one year, and I received an e-mail saying that my subscription is cancelled?
    What should I do?
  • WeswogWeswog Member Posts: 1,171
    There is going to be a new publishing system and it will be announced soon and why they cancelled it was because this new publishing is coming very soon ( end of this week late next week)

Cheers, Weswog
  • MedrakMedrak Member Posts: 7
    Ok what about our paid subscriptions?Will they be renewed?I paid for the subscription 20 days ago..
  • dazzlemedazzleme Member Posts: 152
    Currently active subscriptions are supposed to be good throughout the term of that subscription. The notice (cancellation) you received was to indicate that your account won't automatically renew at the end of its term.
  • TobyToby Member Posts: 478
    Yay, this is a much better option. Thanks for listening and making the change GS Team. Looking forward to 0.9.0 and the new publishing options.

My loyalty and belief in GS is restored.

Time to start dancing!

Everything is good and brown
    Oh I'm here again
    With a sunshine smile upon my face
    My friends are close at hand
    And all my inhibitions
    Have disappeared without a trace
    I'm glad, oh I found
    Somebody who I can rely on!
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    Great news :) This has made everyone happy.
    I just hope iAds becomes for express users! :P
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Medrak said:
    Ok what about our paid subscriptions?Will they be renewed?I paid for the subscription 20 days ago..

You should count your lucky stars since you got in right before they took away the subscriptions all together it would seem.
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Yodapollo said:
    Next week, we are also launching a new “Professional” tier subscription, replacing the current “Pro” subscription. Further, the current “Express” subscription will also be seeing significant tweaks as well. We are pricing the new subscriptions competitively and users will be given a fast and cost effective way to upgrade from their current subscriptions.

My game is finished, and I'm waiting only for new membership program and new version of GS, and this is the "next week" you mentioned, Yodapollo. Could anyone from GS team said anything about the realese date of new membership program and GS update?

Thank you.
  • LAdrianLAdrian Member Posts: 237
    @TheMoonwalls: exactly in your position... waiting with the game finished :) Hopefully will be today
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    well. There are still a few hours before it's been a full 7 days and "next week" is up.

Also, they have only said they are announcing the new sub tiers, and not the actual software update ;o)
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    @Sparkyidr, it's depending on the point of view. For me, the next week is the week that started at Monday (becuase as we all know - Monday is the first day of a week :)).
    And even if they only say something new about membership program (like: prices, new possibilities for the express and pro users etc.) and about the new GS update (like: new behaviors, performance changes etc.), then I'll know if I should wait for the changes or not.