Community Feedback: Feature Requests

YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
Hey, everybody!

GameSalad need your help!

Actually, we just want your opinion on a list of features we're planning on implementing within GameSalad. Just follow the link at the bottom of this post and please rank the list of features from 1 to 14. 1 being the feature you can't live without and working your way down from there.

These are ALL features we want to incorporate into GameSalad. We're working on all of them, but we'd like to know which of these is most important to YOU. So, please, take 5 minutes and fill out the survey. Thanks, everyone, for your time and your invaluable feedback!

Feedback Form: Feature Requests

Comments

• VoidedSkyVoidedSky Member Posts: 1,095
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    this is a fantastic survey, and i think would be a great starting point to get a fully mapped out 'road map'. I don't expect any dates or promises, but it'd be great to see a roadmap of what the developers are working on, and in what order.

Something I didn't see on the list which I added in my comments section was Universal iPhone/iPad apps. That be something great to have.
  • EminemEminem Member Posts: 667
    Amazing, thank you!
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    MULTIPLAYER! that would be AWESOME!
    Already completed the Survey.
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    Took it!

Thanks for making this, yodapollo!

Great idea

Asymptoteell
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    I'm posting my responses here. Heh... because I like to be wordy... and I had trouble putting them in order... and I don't like Google.

So, there are things I see as important and things I don't see as important.

——————————————————————
    Not important to me...
    ——————————————————————

Facebook/Twitter Integration - This is the least important to me. It's bad enough I have to compete against Angry Birds, Cut the Rope and Fruit Ninja. Heh, I don't feel like competing against Zynga too. Farmville is a lot of fun, but I don't feel like putting my energy into building up Facebook and Twitter. I hate these websites. The Internet was not meant to funnel into two websites.

In Editor Guides / Lock to Grid - This is a cool feature, but not at the expense of more lucrative features. I can work around this issue myself. I can't work around the lack of in-app purchases or multiplayer options.

Attribute Debugger - I use my "Poor man's debug" method. It works fine. Again, I can hunt down bugs. I can rebuilt games from scratch if absolutely necessary. I cannot add in-app purchases or multiplayer to GameSalad. Heh, not unless I travel to Texas and join the GameSalad staff.

Sprites - I'm not even sure what this means. If it's using little images to make bigger ones, that's too tedious. I like the drag-and-drop aspects of GameSalad. It's easier to animate. I think Vector graphics are better than sprites... but that's not on the list.

Isometric Design - I think Utopian Games posted an example of this already. It's not diamond shaped squares, but it's close enough. Not everything has to look like Farmville.

————————————————
    Middle ground...
    ————————————————

TrueType Fonts - I don't need this. I actually think the font section is fine. I could create my own letters and numbers if I really want to. Although... if I could add my own custom fonts... I could add vector graphics.
    Video Support - Since I can make 3D animated videos, this would dramatically improve my games. Although, with the animate behavior, I've been able to work around this limitation.

Polygon Collision - This could be useful, but I suspect it would slow down games. GameSalad already has a performance problem.

Tables/Arrays - This seems like a cool feature to have, but I've gotten so used to working around it.

—————————
    Useful...
    —————————

• Leaderboards

• Multiplayer

• Achievements

These aren't separate options. It's one option... GAME CENTER!

Robust Text Editor - Text doesn't vertically align properly. That's a minor issue. I probably would dismiss this feature. Yet, if GameSalad had robust text editing, I could have published The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook with GameSalad. It bothers me that I had to use Xcode.

———————————————
    This is huge...
    ———————————————

In-App Purchasing - I read an article today that stated in-app purchases are the majority of money raised on the iTunes App store. It's the primary source of revenue for app makers. Isn't making money the primary goal?! This is a standard Apple feature. It shouldn't even be on this list. It should be implemented as soon as possible. Use it as a way to promote the sale of "Professional" licenses.

————————

So, what's missing?!

• Embed UIWebView
    • Android Support - I don't like Google, but this would help make GameSalad popular
    • Better web support
    • Universal Binaries!
    • Device Attribute - Date/Time. (Lots of options with such simple information.)
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    @Photics - I think the facebook integration is more like post your high score to facebook/twitter, etc

Performance increases are my main request. In-App purchases too will be awesome.

Ace
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Before I post my feedback, does '10' mean most important?

Also, it says rate between 1 and 10, and yet it goes up to 14 :O

Cheers,

QS :D

Edit - silly me - it is almost 3am here - '1' is the feature you can't live without.

*is still in the slow reading class*

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

mynameisace said:
    @Photics - I think the facebook integration is more like post your high score to facebook/twitter, etc

You mean it's not to spam your friends about fertilizing your crops in Farmville? Then what good is it?

Standard Apple features should take precedence over other features like Facebook. I think Game Center support is better for rankings / social networking. That makes iOS unique.
    quantumsheep said:

It's not just you. I had trouble with the gray type on black background. I wasn't sure if 1 was the highest or lowest either.
    Thanks for the survey - just completed it.

I think Twitter/Facebook score posting and GameCentre would put us on a level playing field with everyone else.

Cheers!

• RondoRocketRondoRocket Member Posts: 411
    quantumsheep said:
    Thanks for the survey - just completed it.

I think Twitter/Facebook score posting and GameCentre would put us on a level playing field with everyone else.

Cheers!

Agreed! +1
  • dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Member Posts: 620
    Will take it now. Could you please post your final decisions please?
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    Sent
    I still would like Camera control for pictures. Mic control for recording and triggers. Gps I don't necessarily need it for live tracking but maybe to grab the devices current location from time to time for later data logging.
    PLEASE!
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    Photics said:
    ———————————————
    This is huge...
    ———————————————

In-App Purchasing - I read an article today that stated in-app purchases are the majority of money raised on the iTunes App store. It's the primary source of revenue for app makers. Isn't making money the primary goal?!

I dont know...maybe for some, making good games is the priority, and making money is secondary.

I'd prefer to see features and items added that help us to create better games before I see the priority put on more ways to monetise. Im tired of seeing people screaming for iAds etc, just so they can bolt it onto some piece of crap theyve knocked up in an afternoon.

The name of the Software should really say where the priorities should be... its GameSalad, not MoneySalad.

So for me personally... Tables/Arrays, Leaderboards, improved Collision types, improved editor tools etc are all far more important than in-app purchasing.

Im not saying in-app purchasing shouldnt be there... Im just saying it shouldnt come at the expense of something that helps us to create better games.
  • FjantIncFjantInc Member Posts: 115
    It's funny how we all have different opinions of what's most important =)

Can't remember in what order I specified all of them, but something like this:

1. Robust Text Editor (I assume with ability to create dialogue between characters)
    2. Video support (I'm a 3D artist and I already have lots of ideas for intros, outros and sequences inbetween =)
    3. In-editor guides / Lock to grid. I absolutely hate not being able to snap my actors to a grid or eachother.
    4. Attribute debugger
    5. Polygon collision
    6. Sprites
    7. Table / Arrays
    8. Multiplayer
    9. In-app purchases
    10. Leaderboards
    11. Achievments
    12. Facebook / Twitter
    Chunkypixels said:
    The name of the Software should really say where the priorities should be... its GameSalad, not MoneySalad.

Hear, hear. I have no dream of becoming rich with this. I just want to make small games that's both fun for me to create and fun for other people to play. If I'd make enough to buy me a new mac in a couple of years, sure, that's a bonus, but absolutely not my goal.
    Undersky said:
    Hear, hear. I have no dream of becoming rich with this. I just want to make small games that's both fun for me to create and fun for other people to play. If I'd make enough to buy me a new mac in a couple of years, sure, that's a bonus, but absolutely not my goal.

Even if you're altruistic, it usually costs money to make games.

• iPhone Developer License
    • GameSalad subscription
    • Mac Developer License
    • Mac Desktop
    • iOS testing device
    • Electricity

That doesn't even count possible content creation costs...

• Artwork
    • Music
    • Sound Effects
    • Templates

Also, I think it helps with the development process and marketing of an app. Instead of releasing a "lite" game and a paid game - or messing around with promo codes - one version of the app can be created. Marketing can be focused on promoting a single app, rather than a free version and a paid version. The trick is to get to the top of the iTunes ladder. I think that's more likely with one really good app than lots of little ones.

Even if you're not interested in money, GameSalad needs to make money to stay in business. What feature on that list is most likely to sell "professional" subscriptions?

Also, complexity should be considered. Apple did most of the work for in-app purchases. The GameSalad team only needs to incorporate it. I don't think that's terribly complicated. Attributes can be created to respond to in-app purchases.

For example, if game.in-app-1 is false, display iAds. Otherwise, destroy actor.
  • RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    Wicked, just took it!
  • JackBQuickJackBQuick Member Posts: 524
    Thanks for the survey. I'll think about the options and complete it soon.

One thing that I will be recommending is a random function that is (for lack of a better word) more random. I've been using various workarounds but they all make me think too hard :)

For example, in my current app, I need fifteen sets of six non-repeating random numbers in the range of 1 to 18 in order for the player to complete the game. This can be done using a combination of game.Time and mouse positions but it takes a while to figure out.
    Photics said:
    Even if you're altruistic, it usually costs money to make games.

• iPhone Developer License
    • GameSalad subscription
    • Mac Developer License
    • Mac Desktop
    • iOS testing device
    • Electricity

That doesn't even count possible content creation costs...

• Artwork
    • Music
    • Sound Effects
    • Templates

Yeah, of course it costs money. The ones I do hope to make enough to cover is the licenses / subscription costs of course. And if I'd make enough to buy a new mac in a couple of years it's a bonus. Other than that I don't have much external costs. I create all the artwork myself, either on free software or on ones I have licence for. The same with music. I might buy a sound fx cd though =) But since it's one of my hobbies I don't mind spending a couple of bucks on it.
    JackBQuick said:
    One thing that I will be recommending is a random function that is (for lack of a better word) more random. I've been using various workarounds but they all make me think too hard :)

That's another reason why I think the "Time" behavior is useful. That could be used to help randomize numbers. It's not perfect, but that could be good enough for changing up things at the start of a scene.
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    Actually, I can't take the survey because I don't know what most of these words mean.
    What is a "Leaderboard"?

I think i have mentioned before that I don't play games and would not know the first thing abut them.

Unfortunately, that would make my feedback kind of useless ...
    A leaderboard... that's player rankings. It's one of the features of Game Center.
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    For me - video support IS THE MOST IMPORTANT :)
    Chunkypixels said:
    I dont know...maybe for some, making good games is the priority, and making money is secondary.

I'd prefer to see features and items added that help us to create better games before I see the priority put on more ways to monetise. Im tired of seeing people screaming for iAds etc, just so they can bolt it onto some piece of crap theyve knocked up in an afternoon.

So for me personally... Tables/Arrays, Leaderboards, improved Collision types, improved editor tools etc are all far more important than in-app purchasing.

Im not saying in-app purchasing shouldnt be there... Im just saying it shouldnt come at the expense of something that helps us to create better games.

I couldn't agree more, sir, especially on the monetising issue!

The trick to all these monetising techniques is to have a good game first. In App purchases won't work for a game that people do not want to invest time in (i.e. something rubbish) - even if the barrier to entry is nothing (As you could release the game for free, for example).

Also, iAds seem to be used as an excuse to make sub-standard games. What's the point of making a game free and putting ads in them if your game will only ever be played once then immediately deleted? You will not make money this way, sorry.

The most requested feature I get for my games is to have some sort of established social features.

By established I'm talking specifically about Facebook/Twitter and GameCentre/Openfeint.

RE Twitter/Facebook - whether you personally like them or not, it's what EVERYONE uses. It allows you to post to your account, and anyone following you can see what you're playing. I think it's a brilliant way of spreading 'word of mouth' in a digital age. It's essentially free advertising for your game!

RE: GameCentre/Openfeint - Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Openfeint, but it's established. I don't like the layout, the way it's intrusive (do you want to enable openfeint? - No! Piss off!) and I think it's less friendly and attractive than GameCentre.

GameCentre is brilliant. My friends are on there. Most of my games support it. And I just prefer the interface. I personally believe this is the way to go, leaderboard wise.

These are the standards and what we needed to have in GameSalad yesterday. I can make cool little games with GameSalad right now, thanks very much. That's great! But they've all felt 'incomplete' because of the lack of established social features. It's almost like there's a checklist potential customers have:

Does it have Retina Display graphics?
    Does it have GameCentre/Openfeint?
    Does it have achievements (usually linked to openfeint/GameCentre)
    Does it have Twitter/Facebook?

I've argued in the past that people can sell lots and lots without these social features - e.g. Grisly Manor, Bumps, tshirt's games that aren't Mini Cannon ( sorry! :D ). Some games like Grisly don't require them at all really.

But I've so come round to wanting these social features that it's not even funny. Like I said, I can make games now. I just need them to be 'complete'

Our customers (I personally prefer the term 'players') are asking for them. GameSalad's customers (us!) are asking for them so we can offer them to our players.

I'm afraid that this is my new 'Pause'. I just don't think we can wait nearly a year (as with Pause) before we see these go in. They need to be in the new builds and being tested so we can implement them within a month, two at the very, very latest.

I think in-app purchases, just like iAds, should be supported because it's a standard Apple feature. I ranked in-app purchases higher because it's easier to implement. I think people missed an obvious point.

IF GAMESALAD DOESN'T MAKE MONEY, IT GOES AWAY

So, what's a quick way for GameSalad to justify the $500 cost of a "Professional" license? Add in-app purchases. This is especially important as a competitor (Corona) appears to be launching the feature this month.

Game Center is also a standard Apple feature. There really shouldn't be any discussion on this matter either. Leaderboards and Achievements should be added in the next version. Then, multiplayer / voice chat can be added in a later version of Game Salad.

It shouldn't take a year.

Apple already did the hard work. GameSalad only needs to make the connections.
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Universal Apps and Android support Would also be awesome!
  • magic101himagic101hi Member Posts: 713
    Could I offer a suggestion on how to fix the slowdown?(to GS not you QS)

When someone saves the game have all the xml files saved and release all the ram that you are using release the processor, and clear the cache(the memory cache that keeps track of the changes made in the XML).

Hope my suggestion helps the programmers at GS(Code Monkey show this post to them)

Thanks, (try to fix the leak's)

-Josh
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    quantumsheep said:
    Before I post my feedback, does '10' mean most important?

Also, it says rate between 1 and 10, and yet it goes up to 14 :O

Cheers,

Edit - silly me - it is almost 3am here - '1' is the feature you can't live without.

Crap, I filled it out backwards. Thank god they don't actually read those things!
This discussion has been closed.