Community Feedback: Feature Requests

Comments

• VoidedSkyVoidedSky Member Posts: 1,095
    Gabbyr said:
    I want GameSalad to make money and be strong, however $500 is a bit high for many developers (myself included...). Maybe there is a way to do a subscription model which will have 12 months commitment in monthly payments? Similar to your mobile phone bill…

On the flip side, as soon as my games will get to $500, I’m going Pro.

DreamLab said:
    @gabbyr
    I'm with you on that. I am 14 and don't have much money. So yah, as soon as one of my soon to come out apps makes 500$(I hope) than I am buying pro. I am only buying pro for the soon to be features though. I haven't heard of too much success with iads and plus with rumors of gamecenter and things like that, its a must have.
    thanks as always
    DL

$500 is reasonable, ESPECIALLY compared to the $2000 it used to be. GS said that they were going to change Splash Screen, and they said that there will be A LOT more coming into pro this year. So I think it is worth it.
    ~CTM
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    500$ is reasonable yes, but as a teen with less money it is harder to get. No job(only 14) and I tend to spend my money. 2000$? dang. But yes will be getting pro asap.
    DL
  • inceptioninception Member Posts: 74
    You don't need the pro version to publish; so stick with their FREE version which is built exactly for people such as yourself until you earn the money to upgrade. Their current price points are very good imo.

I hope .2 brings facebook/twitter & game center integration :)
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    CowTechMan said:
    $500 is reasonable, ESPECIALLY compared to the $2000 it used to be. GS said that they were going to change Splash Screen, and they said that there will be A LOT more coming into pro this year. So I think it is worth it.
    ~CTM

It was worth it to jump on for $99. but unless they plan to change the price again I dont see why you would want to mess with it until its there. Holding off will benefit you guys anyway. you will have a full year of using the new features if you wait till its released. but buying now mean you may be burning 6 months of your subscription on the ability to use iAds
    I think now that we have had a nice discussion here about what features we want to have for our games. we should also list out features we would like in the creator to make Game Creator easier This list is my thoughts and I have added any I saw in previous posts of this thread. no order of importance at this time.

-check box to disable rules/behaviors
    -ZOOM in/out
    -select multiple instances of any actor on a scene
    -copy and instance of an actor on a scene. (say you create some behaviors using scene attributes for an actor. . and dont want to go through 20 more of the same actor changing each one)
    -display x,y position of a selected instance

These are just a few thoughts feel free to add some more ideas
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    Selecting multiple actors at once!
    tenrdrmer said:

-copy and instance of an actor on a scene. (say you create some behaviors using scene attributes for an actor. and dont want to go through 20 more of the same actor changing each one)

You can do this, Hold 'Option' while clicking and dragging the desired instance. This will work with Rules, actors, images, etc...
    ~CTM
    CowTechMan said:
    You can do this, Hold 'Option' while clicking and dragging the desired instance. This will work with Rules, actors, images, etc...
    ~CTM

Dont take this the wrong way but I think I love you. LMAO.

I new about rules and stuff but never thought to try it on the instance.

Learn Something new everyday. :)
    tenrdrmer said:
    Dont take this the wrong way but I think I love you. LMAO.

I new about rules and stuff but never thought to try it on the instance.

Learn Something new everyday. :)

Glad to help!
    ~CTM
  • inceptioninception Member Posts: 74
    Another little feature GS could really use is the ability to select multiple actors in the scene editor. A simple shift+click should do it :) This would make it much easier to reposition things.
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Be great if we could have the ability to play a png sequence backwards. Just a simple tick box, 'reverse play order'. It would save having to either import another png sequence, or reordering the sequence manually in the animation behaviour.
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    I voted facebook/twitter integration 13, and Guides / Lock to Grid 14. The Grid / Guides option is my most wanted one now; to make game creation easier.
  • RondoRocketRondoRocket Member Posts: 411
    iDeveloper said:
    I voted facebook/twitter integration 13, and Guides / Lock to Grid 14. The Grid / Guides option is my most wanted one now; to make game creation easier.

Sounds like you might have voted in reverse, 1 is highest priority and 14 is lowest. But I'm totally with you on facebook/twitter integration!
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    I think all the leaderboards and gamecenter and facebook ideas are great, but sometimes GS makes it harder to do certain functions. So I am all for the facebook stuff, but I think we need more tools in GS that would help us.
    DL
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    ReM said:
    Sounds like you might have voted in reverse, 1 is highest priority and 14 is lowest. But I'm totally with you on facebook/twitter integration!

Ooops. Took the survey again..

Facebook/Twitter Integration: 1
    Leader Boards: 1
    Multiplayer: 1
    Sprites: 5
    TrueType Font: 1 (Custom Font)
    Tables/Arrays: 1
    Robust Text Editor: 5
    In Editor Guides / Lock to Grid: 1
    Isometric Design: 2
    Video Support: 2
    Achievements: 3
    Polygon Collision: 1
    Attribute Debugger: 2
    In-App Purchase: 2

These are my NEW answers.

ATTN GS, Please ignore my last submission.

Thanks for notifying me, ReM!
    jonmulcahy said:
    IDeveloper, i think you needed to number 1-14

Yeah you were supposed to rank them in order of importance. LOL now they gonna think your screwing with them. LOL
  • massalimassali Member Posts: 57
    When are these features going live?
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    massali said:
    When are these features going live?

Thats the million dollar question Massali... weve been asking for a roadmap for the past year... some probably longer. And for some reason, Gendai/GameSalad prefer to play a game of keeping its devs/users in the dark.

Im still wondering why it takes over a month just to implement a loading image/animation that doesnt look like its crashed the game.

We were told mid december that the team were looking into it that week as their top priority.... yet still, when you build your game, you get a blank white screen for a number of seconds, that makes it look like the game has crashed.

I mean, come on... how hard is it to do a new loading screen? Even switching back to the original black static version would have been better than just leaving us with the broken white version.

At least we might get Darren and Waynes merge tool in the next update... so at least theres looking like something interesting and useful possibly coming in this next build if it gets included.
  • JackBQuickJackBQuick Member Posts: 524
    In addition to the Rule behaviour, have some sort of Switch statement so that rules don't have to be embedded if there are several different possible outcomes. Thanks!
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    It'd be great if we could create universal apps!
    Rectangle select of multiple actors on a scene.

And a few less stickies.

Well now I'm getting way off subject.

LOL
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Hello GS team and everyone else!

I was wandering through the Internet, looking for other, similar to GS software (Corona, Unity etc.). I think that I was inspired by Joe (FMG).

But...

I thought that I want to stay here, and still use GameSalad (even if Lua is so simple). GS isn't perfect, and it should be improved, so I managed to write down all the changes, that are important in my humble opinion.

1. Video support
    2. Possibility to make universal apps (for iPhone and iPad)
    3. Shorter loading times in-game and better performance

I could pay even a 1000 USD for version with these features.

Is there any chance to see them in the nearest update (or maybe next)?

Thanks!
  • BaPeC_GamesBaPeC_Games Member Posts: 2
    Having a little tool-tip kind of thing displayed on the cursor when the cursor is on an instance of an actor, displaying the X and Y locations of the actor would be a MASSIVE help.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    BaPeC_Games said:
    Having a little tool-tip kind of thing displayed on the cursor when the cursor is on an instance of an actor, displaying the X and Y locations of the actor would be a MASSIVE help.

Now that *would* be helpful!

And probably simple to do?

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    ability to import jpegs as well as pngs, as they could be alot smaller.
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    Apparently I'm the only person that cares about mic, cam which are essential features maybe not always for a game but for apps especially if GS is going to become more robust.
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    Chaser said:
    Apparently I'm the only person that cares about mic, cam which are essential features maybe not always for a game but for apps especially if GS is going to become more robust.

The problem with the way GS is designed is that it is not really geared for camera and mic because it would have to deal with saving large chunks of data and house keeping. If you are after building apps which use these kinds of features, you should look at other game systems available which give you a coding option of adding these items.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    So... to add fuel to the fire, regarding GameSalad and updates, especially the lack of online social scoreboards such as GameCenter etc.. I noticed that GameMaker now has a number of apps published to the appstore... and guess what... they all have GameCenter integration.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/they-need-to-be-fed/id402181349?mt=8
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/teka-teki/id405228623?mt=8

WTF... they only started to convert the GameMaker engine for iOS a few months ago, and they already have games out and on the appstore, with GameCenter included.

SO this really does hammer home the question... why does it take Gendai/GameSalad so long to implement new features, especially something so vital as online leaderboards.

Gendai/GameSalad needs to really step things up a few gears... and start giving us regular software updates, and better information.

...theres already lots of talk of comparisons and failings compared with Corona, but now GameMaker seems to be quickly catching up, and possibly even overtaking GameSalad in the speed that its coming together. Compared to other engines GameSalad seems to really struggle to get new updates/features implemented and out to its users.

So please Yoda... when the hell are we gonna actually see leaderboards/GameCenter. For once, just tell us something that isnt simply vapor....
    Here's My take on GameSalad and Lack of Features.

They're not going to rush anything anywhere because to date GameSalad is the only drag an drop engine. They want to focus on the inexperienced dev who have really no chance or desire to learn any code. So everyone can bitch all they want about the lack of features but ultimatly as long as there are a few pro users making half decent games they are not gonna worry about what any other SDK is doing. now if one of these SDK's impliments a drag and drop user interface. GameSalad is screwed. because the features are all ready leaving them behind.

Consider this The Secrets of Grisly Manor has been ported to corona with an update sent to apple and a release on Android. Thats bad for GameSalad from an image point of view. A great game which had tons of sales has changes SDK's to get better performance and features. Unfortunately the community here cannot follow since you have to learn lua to use Corona. and while lua looks to be fairly easy to learn compared to other languages its still code and overwhelming when you thing start out and try to start out and have a blank text editor in front of you expecting you to visualize what you want out of it.

But now think if Corona enable a scene editor just to layout your scene. I for one would be far more will to learn the code if I could at least have somewhat of a GUI to start with.

So thats really the thing you will have to decide for yourself. Do you want to go to Corona/GameMaker/Unity or not. and if so do it and if not deal with the fact that GameSalad has you by the balls because of their user interface.

But the empty threats from users will do nothing to motivate GameSalad.

Well theres my 2cents on the comparison crap and the constant well they are doing it over there so why cant we do it here complaints. GameSalad Provides the only Drag and Drop. So decide do you want that or all the other features. and go to where you can get what you decided you want.
This discussion has been closed.