The Lost City - new adventure game from Fire Maple Games!

Comments

• design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    This looks most excellent. And if this is an improvement on GM, it be a real money maker. Well done, again, sir!
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    peachpellen said:
    But keep in mind that the original Grisly that was so successful was a GS game.

Very true...

I'm just wishing for better loading times, as my game is suffering visually a bit as I'm having to compress png's quite a bit to keep the loading times to each scene bare able. Partly my fault due to the game design I've gone for. And I should just work to GameSalads strenghs. i.e. Physics puzzles within the game... Hopefully the gameplay will make up for it, and if GS ever improve the performance, I can put 24 bit pngs back in their place.

@Joe, really looking forward to 'The Lost City'. Is it a sequel or a separate game?
  • MLCinemaMLCinema Member Posts: 133
    WOW!
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Wow.... I'm speechless, this is absolutely gorgeous.... can't wait to purchase this one!!
    Duplicate :)
    jonmulcahy said:
    So speechless you spoke twice!!! ;)

Haha, thanks, I would remove the other post, but can't so sorry! :)
  • RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272
    Nice screens!
    Good Luck
  • FanStudioUKFanStudioUK Member Posts: 459
    Joe, you're talking about in-app purchases, if I understand well you are building this game in xcode?
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    Wow, thanks for the kind words everyone!

I am hoping to have the game released in March.

@gamevicci: while I certainly appreciate the compliment, there are lots of fantastic games made with GameSalad!

@stormystudio: I am really excited for your game! Yes, adventure games are a ton of work. Grisly manor took months to make with all of the art assets required - and it was still too short! I looked to rectify that with The Lost City, so this game is 5x longer - which of course means 5x the work! Stick with it though! Even if you don't get the sales, you will have a real stunner in your portfolio which will open doors to game studios, and just be a real showpiece all around.

@pixomuse: Grisly Manor has sold 75,000 copies so far.

@CowTechMan and others: Yes, I ported Grisly Manor over to Corona a few months ago. The current update to the game in the App Store is the Corona version. It went live about 5 days ago ( I was waiting for them to release a new version of their audio engine before releasing the update).

And just to be clear, the only reason I went over to Corona was because of the whole Direct thing. I think GameSalad is still amazing software. Several of us have signed NDA contracts with GameSalad, and we knew about the publishing/revenue share decision a month or so before everyone else. We had numerous phone calls, made many emails, and I even met with some of the staff a few times. They were not budging with the new direction.

And there is nothing wrong with being published, it is a great avenue for some, but I for one love being an independent game designer. That is part of the thrill and satisfaction of it all for me. I do not want to be published by EA, Chillingo, or GameSalad!

Of course they have since changed directions again, but that was two months later. And by that time I had moved on.

I have been using it steadily for the last four months, and I am still learning the Corona software, but am enjoying working with it very much.

But like some have mentioned, the tool that you use doesn't matter. It's what you do with it that counts. I've made three very successful games with GameSalad.

I still love GameSalad and tell all my friends about it! And I love the community of people here! I will try to be more active in the forums again when I get some more time. This game has been taking over my life!

And a special thanks to quantumsheep, who wrote the story for me in the first post. He is an amazing writer!!! You should all shower him with money and have him write your game descriptions for you!
  • JelJel Member Posts: 319
    firemaplegames said:

I will try to be more active in the forums again when I get some more time. This game has been taking over my life!

That's great to hear. I took a look at your website yesterday and noticed the GM had a Developed with Corona badge above it. I though we had lost you for good and in turn all those fantastic demos.

Personally I thought your move to Cprona was because of the enforced GS splash screen. If GS had continued with the Direct thing they would have lost pretty much all of their top developers. Let's hope they are refocused on making GS the best it can be.
  • Player_EPlayer_E Member, PRO Posts: 604
    I dont know if its just me, but looks like this one will have a "BioShock" feel to it. Look forward to seeing it in action.
    @player_e: well, since Grisly Manor's logo looked a little World of Warcraft-y, I figured I'd go Bioshockish with this one!
  • NexusGameStudioNexusGameStudio Member Posts: 265
    Look's like another hit, great work Joe, can't wait to play this bad boy. Fantastic artwork.
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    firemaplegames said:
    • Available for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad!

Will there be an iPad specific version? Are you using retina display resolution? Also, I would assume this will be well over the 20 Meg direct to device limit?
  • nulonulo Member Posts: 315
    this looks awesome! congrats fmg!
    @design219: I had really wanted to pull off an iPad/Mac App Store/PC/Retina display version! But there is no way I could have completed the game in any reasonable amount of time.

This game literally has thousands of graphics/animations to create. I spend many hours painting each image as it is. And to create them all at 4x the size would have taken me forever. iPhone7 would be out! I did make the logo at 1024x768, so at least I have that.

This game will follow the exact same formula that Grisly Manor used. This time I am focusing on where I felt Grisly Manor lacked - namely the length of the game as well as the story/ending.

This game will very likely go past the 20MB limit. Corona allows me to use jpegs, so I can get the file size really small, but it will still probably go over the limit. Which hopefully doesn't matter too much. Hopefully the success of Grisly Manor will help overcome that barrier.
  • VoidedSkyVoidedSky Member Posts: 1,095
    Well whatever you do Joe, your bound to success.
    ~CTM
  • DetheDethe Member Posts: 172
    cant wait
    thanks, guys!
    NexusGameStudio said:
    Look's like another hit, great work Joe, can't wait to play this. bad boy. Fantastic artwork.

Did you just call him bad boy? :-)
    It's true. I've been a very bad boy. ;0)
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Been looking forward to this for aaaaages!

Looks great!

Can't wait to play it!

Good luck with sales!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• cbtcbt Member Posts: 644
    Is this the same project you mentioned before, named "Morgana"?

I've been following your posts at corona forums too. You have been an inspiration for A LOT of people.

Are you planning to make more games with GS or will you only be active on the forums?

I hope you get good results on this game too. Good luck with sales!
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Are you still a chef?
    Ace
    @cbt: thanks for the kind words! yes, it is the same game!

I will be focused on The Lost City for the next few months, then I will be taking a break! After that, we'll see.

@ace: I am!
    Hey everybody!

Here is another screenshot for you!

Thanks for all of the support!

Joe
    Looks great, very errr... 'magical' ....

You obviosuly put a tonne of work into this visual.

Do the rays above the statue animate?
    thanks guys!

yes, the rays animate and there are also little sparkly dust motes that float around...
This discussion has been closed.