The Lost City - new adventure game from Fire Maple Games!

Comments

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Just awesome, Joe!

Are your 'God Rays' particles perchance?

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    @QS: they are!
    Then you, sir, are a magical beast!

*snort*

• CodeCodeCodeCode Member Posts: 200
    looks great, just one thing, this time don't use the same music track for the hole game, after the first ten minutes of gameplay from Grisly Manor i couldn't hear it anymore.
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Wow, that's looking superb, Joe, 100% professional; your Photoshop skills are so impressive. You certainly keep on raising the bar! :-) Can't wait to play it.

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

@Prodigio: well, luckily there was only 10 minutes of gameplay!

The Lost City will have several music tracks, currently there are 6.

@gyroscope: Thanks! I am excited to see your adventure game as well!
  • cbtcbt Member Posts: 644
    firemaplegames said:
    @Prodigio: well, luckily there was only 10 minutes of gameplay!

Eheh.. You can make fun of yourself. Maybe "this" is the secret ingredient some of us been missing, huh? Lol..
    :D
    Just keep up the inspiration and the good work! Thanks..
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    firemaplegames said:

@gyroscope: Thanks! I am excited to see your adventure game as well!

Belated reply: thank you for your vote of confidence, Joe; much appreciated! In fact, it's prompted me to continue with my adventure game in earnest, rather than working on 2 games at the same time. I'll leave the platformer for another day. My heart wasn't in it half as much as my adventure game is, anyway.

Here's hoping continuing success for you in the development of The Lost City. Loving the concept and I look forward to more of your excellent screenshots at some time if you post them. :-)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

Hey everybody!

Here are a few more screenshots of the game for you to check out. I have clearly missed the March release date, but the game is progressing beautifully!

I will release even more info/screenshots soon!

Joe

• creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    truly awsome. No words. Which software you are using for achieve this type of art. PS?
    @creativeapps: yeah, I just use Photoshop. One of my friends is an amazing photographer. We went to several state parks, and even flew out to the Redwood National Forest and he took literally tens of thousands of photos for me.

I layer pieces of several photos together and hand paint (digitally) over everything to make it cohesive.

This game has been a real blast to work on so far!

My friend (who takes the photos) has also helped me completely design the game from the ground up, and I am so proud of the way the game all fits together. He helped me create Grisly Manor as well, but for this one we really wanted to hit it out of the park!
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Looks Awesome FMG. I love the Artwork. its tough to make photographs and digital art work together but you have definitely done it here.

Good Luck.

___________________________________________________________________________________
    Project Help from Tenrdrmer Click Here

GS BubbleBall Template HERE!!
    Stacks Level Selection Template HERE!!
    Expanding Option Menu Template HERE!!
    Tenrdrmer's Menu # 3 HERE!!
    Menu #4 - Level Banners HERE!!
    AppSolute Entertainment on Facebook
    AppSolute Entertainment on iTunes
  • FanStudioUKFanStudioUK Member Posts: 459
    Truly amazing! Can't wait to get my hands on it :D

Great job Joe!
    firemaplegames said:
    ...but for this one we really wanted to hit it out of the park!

Looks like it landed in some woods! :D

I'm here all week, folks - try the veal - it's delicious!

• crapscraps Member Posts: 353
    An inspiration and level of work we all hope to
    achieve.

Could you tell us the average size of one
    of the above images?
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    Looks amazing, Joe! Can't wait to get lost in this magical world. Wish it was out already but it will obviously be worth the wait.
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    Real nice work. Are you using HDR photography for the source images?

cheers kipper
    Thanks, everyone!

@craps: Each image is 480x320px. Or did you mean the file size? Each image is about 100Kb.

@old_kipper: No, I am not. As you can imagine, all of the photos have varying light sources, weather conditions, etc. We try to shoot everything on overcast days to get the richest exposures, but we have to take what we can get! So all of the color manipulation, oversaturation, etc. is all done by me in Photoshop after the fact.
  • LuckyLurcherLuckyLurcher Member Posts: 343
    The graphics look great! Any idea when it will be released?
    @LuckyLurcher: many ideas! Grisly Manor had 50 screens, this one has 250, and is way more complicated in every aspect. I was hoping for a March release, but as they say - it will be done when it is done!
  • gameviccigamevicci Member, PRO Posts: 306
    You are epic firemaple!! It will be in Gs or in Corona?
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    It will be really interesting to see what you might do when GS gets movies. A few years ago I tried building a really navigable 'photographic' environment with steps through movies generated in After Effects from trees etc, but it ended up with me giving up and turning to a 3d engine. Your approach does really work with your style game though, but I would just love to see...

cheers kipper
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    firemaplegames said:
    Each image is 480x320px.

Interesting, you're not going for retina display support?
    gamevicci said:
    It will be in Gs or in Corona?

The category of "Non-GS Game News" suggests this is Corona.
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Looks amazing Joe! Can't wait to play it :) I'm sure it will be much better than you previous game :)
    TheMoonwalls said:
    Looks amazing Joe! Can't wait to play it :) I'm sure it will be much better than you previous game :)

With an installed base of over 200k now, I think the potential for this new game is staggering really!

Thanks, guys!
    Photics said:
    Interesting, you're not going for retina display support?

I would have loved for the artwork to support Retina Displays, but I would never be able to finish it in any reasonable amount of time! It takes me several hours to just do one image, and if they were 4x the size it would just have been unmanageable for me. The iPhone7 would be out!

And although I can certainly tell the difference, the artwork still holds up fine on Retina Displays and larger tablet devices. This type of raster artwork can withstand pixel doubling better than clean vector artwork of something like say, Angry Birds.

All of the text in the game however, WILL support Retina Displays.
  • CrazybreadmanCrazybreadman Member Posts: 674
    Thanks for taking the time to show us some more screens, it looks truly amazing Joe! I cant wait to play this as it gives me nostalgia of adventuring in the woods as a kid (not that there were statues spitting out water but other random cool stuff) ;)
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    firemaplegames said:
    I would have loved for the artwork to support Retina Displays, but I would never be able to finish it in any reasonable amount of time! It takes me several hours to just do one image, and if they were 4x the size it would just have been unmanageable for me. The iPhone7 would be out!

Wow, I'm surprised. From the app reviews I've read, it's not uncommon for players to complain about the lack of retina display graphics. When The Legend of Grizzly Manor was launched, Retina Displays were still new. Now, I think customers are going to be looking for it.

Yeah, your images are better at disguising the resolution, but there are other advantages. You could easily port this game to Mac... if you were using GameSalad... and iPad if you had the higher res graphics.

I'm not sure why the graphics would take that much longer. Aside from running the images through ImageOptim, and some occasional slowdown from my computer, it's not that much longer for me to create retina display graphics.

I like the style though. It's an interesting way to create graphics. I didn't realize they were from real photographs. I thought it was computer generated.
    A
    Photics said:
    Wow, I'm surprised. From the app reviews I've read, it's not uncommon for players to complain about the lack of retina display graphics.

Thankfully I have never received a bad review because of lack of Retina graphics!
    Photics said:
    I'm not sure why the graphics would take that much longer.

It would just take me 4x the time to hand paint a 960x640 image as opposed to a 480x320 one. For not that dramatic of a quality increase.
This discussion has been closed.