Where's the "Big Picture"

tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=15656
according to this thread 6 days ago (last week) yodapollo said:
Yodapollo said:
@Photics and anyone else interested,

YES! Mac App Store publishing is coming in the next release and will be out very soon. I was planning on putting that info into the Big Picture this week, which I still will, but here it is for everyone a little early.

It's now next week so what happened to the "Big Picture"?

Comments

• YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    Yeah, sorry about that. Had some urgent items spring up late last week and they have pretty much dominated the first half of this week. They seemed to be resolved now, so the Big Picture is back on the front burner. I'll try and get something up by tomorrow afternoon.

Again, sorry about the delay. Not canceling and backing out, just taking a little longer than I wanted.

- Yodapollo
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    cool. Looking forward to it.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Thanks For the Reply.
    Just getting curious. I think most where hoping to know a release date by now.
  • RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Member Posts: 323
    Always a pleasure. Thanks!
    Yodapollo said:
    Yeah, sorry about that. Had some urgent items spring up late last week and they have pretty much dominated the first half of this week. They seemed to be resolved now, so the Big Picture is back on the front burner. I'll try and get something up by tomorrow afternoon.

Again, sorry about the delay. Not canceling and backing out, just taking a little longer than I wanted.

- Yodapollo

Any News For us today, kind sir?
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I hope so :), i know everyone is busy getting .9.1 out the door, but it would be nice to have the big picture headed into the weekend
  • PIXOMUSEPIXOMUSE Member Posts: 101
    hmm, strikes me as very unprofessional...

Just out of interest, does anyone know who 'GameSalad' / 'Gendai Games' are, what the backgrounds of the staff are, etc, I'd like to know more info in that area just to see what I'm getting myself into... ?

I honestly like the software, I'm watching these forums every day and learning new stuff all the time ( albeit without a MAC 'as yet' ). I worked on a similar product about 10 years ago, but the publisher didn't want to follow through with it as it was seen as a loose cannon. I worked with a small group of developers who all had experience within the games industry at that time, and had worked on some pretty big titles beforehand, I was primarily 'the artist' of the bunch in charge of any and all artistic content required. It's a shame it went down, as the whole 'visual development' process is absolutely ideal for hitting mass market appeal, yet not many developers are of that mind, some let their ego's take over and try to create new engines / new coding languages, etc, they can only see things from a dev. point of view. The team I worked with 'got this', our toolkit provided visual games creation for both 2d and 3d games for the PC platform ( consoles planned thereafter ). Anyway, Gamesalad / Gendai seem to 'get this' idea of visual dev., which to date, I have not seen anyone else successfully pull off without being a very poor engine at the end of it. I want to buy into this, I want to believe... but the lack of updates ( I know one is coming ), and the general lack of communication throughout does not fill me with much optimism, but hey, I'm still here watching from the sidelines... :)
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    Exactly why I'm leaving the product*! Communication here absolutely sucks. Yodapolla says "tomorrow afternoon" and doesn't post. Even a day after the "tomorrow afternoon", he still hasn't posted ANYTHING; not even a reason for this delay.

I knew this would happen with this.

Until GS gets better, and better communication skills, I won't be using the GS Creator product. I'm just having trouble accepting GS Creator as a good product. (don't say it's because I can't make games, I HAVEN'T MADE any yet, because of the lack in standard features. (GameCenter, Facebook/Twitter Integration, Excellent memory management, etc))

* = I admit I want to stay active on the forum.
  • simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    iDeveloper .. although I really, really .... and I mean really .. appreciate reading your posts here .. any chance I could take your email and just email you in the future if Gamesalad gets updated with those features you wanted. Might save a bit of time on both ends don't you think?
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    I'll still be browsing the forums, so there is no need. This will probably be my last post until the big picture actually gets posted.

Thanks anyway.

This was a rough journey (no updates for months 0.8.9 > 0.9.0, update releases, yes still a memory leak, lack of standard features, etc) for me with GS, that's why I sound pissed. Not to mention the whole GS Direct saga.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    iDeveloper said:
    Not to mention the whole GS Direct saga.

You make it sound like Star Wars...

Well, maybe not exactly like Star Wars. That's more of two trilogies... one good and one bad, like the two sides of the force. Saga... maybe that's more like the old Battlestar Galactica series.
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    @iDeveloper

Whilst we all feel your pain, it's not all that helpful just coming on here and GS bashing.
    Instead of not making a game because of missing features, make a game that plays with what you DO have (or use another tool that DOES have the features you feel you need).

Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means a GS fanboy, but treading over the same ground (no comms, missing features, memory leak, wasn't GS direct a bit rubbish) isn't very productive.

I've said it before many times, but GS is still ahead of the competitors in 1 major, massive way....Drag and Drop with no profit share.

Game Maker has drag and drop, but they do the finishing of the app, add graphics and polish as needed, and take a cut....and they are the only other one at the mo with true D&D (I think?)

If Corona come with their rumoured D&D stuff, then that will give people a big push in their direction. But it's still only a rumour, and even if it does happen, no one knows what form it will take.
    My money is on a scene builder/tile map editor, but still with all the coding back end (so no true drag and drop).

We are all frustrated with the lack of updates and communications about updates, but going on and on about it here feels like a waste of time really.
    Hey, everybody!

Sorry for the delay. Just finished the draft this morning. I'm reviewing it now and will have it up shortly. Again, I apologize for the delay.

- Yodapollo
  • RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    Yodapollo said:
    Hey, everybody!

Sorry for the delay. Just finished the draft this morning. I'm reviewing it now and will have it up shortly. Again, I apologize for the delay.

- Yodapollo

wicked, thanks!
    Yodapollo said:
    Hey, everybody!

- Yodapollo

Thanks Yodapollo
  • RattleheadRattlehead Member Posts: 485
    Yodapollo said:
    Hey, everybody!

- Yodapollo

iDeveloper! Come back... come back... again.
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    I know GS has a few kinks to work out and features to add, but I really never get why some people bash them so hard about it. That being said, I hope the roadmap looks good.
    Rattlehead said:
    iDeveloper! Come back... come back... again.

LOL No not really they are not going to announce all of your demands have been met. So just strolling along wishing you could use GameSalad to make a game. :)
  • spliketspliket Member Posts: 93
    GS is an amazing product, even with its flaws. It's allowing me to produce a quality game, and I could not do that without GS. There are features I can hope for, and they've said they're coming (pause being on the top of my list / gamecenter 2nd), but I can't complain because It's opening doors to me that I can't open on my own at this time.
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    I am mad at you guys!!!!!!

All day long you have been asking for the big 12 MEGA PIXEL picture and now he is writing a HUGE document that will take us weeks or maybe months to read!

Iit's getting dark ... maybe we should have asked for the "small" picture instead? LOL
    Almost done with all the revisions.

@xyloFUN

You bring up an interesting point. Part of the coming post is actually about how I don't think "Big Picture" posts are the way to go. We're going to be making much more of an effort to respond more often, and in shorter posts about more subjects than are generally covered in the "Big Picture"s.

I think the community would much rather have more regular and consistent communication than a large data dump every month or two. I can't tell you how ecstatic I am to be able to start doing that.

- Yodapollo
  • VoidedSkyVoidedSky Member Posts: 1,095
    Yodapollo said:
    Almost done with all the revisions.

@xyloFUN

You bring up an interesting point. Part of the coming post is actually about how I don't think "Big Picture" posts are the way to go. We're going to be making much more of an effort to respond more often, and in shorter posts about more subjects than are generally covered in the "Big Picture"s.

I think the community would much rather have more regular and consistent communication than a large data dump every month or two. I can't tell you how ecstatic I am to be able to start doing that.

- Yodapollo

That would be Great

~CTM
  • simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    CowTechMan said:
    That would be Great

~CTM

+1
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    more communication. yes guys.
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    ++++++1
  • AppChogieAppChogie Member Posts: 503
    TwistedMech said:
    ++++++1

Evening Christopher :-)
    God, sometimes I can be so dumb!

No one can work without music ... and to speed up the proof reading process listen to this yodapollo > http://www.yodellingwoodcarver.com/

No song out there says your name more often that this one!
    (I assume that by now you could use a good laugh)

poll!
    Why thinks I should make this song the soundtrack for my next app? LOL
  • PIXOMUSEPIXOMUSE Member Posts: 101
    Excellent, quoted because I wanted to see that again ! :)

"I think the community would much rather have more regular and consistent communication than a large data dump every month or two. I can't tell you how ecstatic I am to be able to start doing that."
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    Good Evening Keith :-)
    Good night big picture .... sleep well .....
This discussion has been closed.