Where's the "Big Picture"

Comments

• iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    xyloFUN said:
    Good night big picture .... sleep well .....

Why I left... (LOL I'm active on the forum)
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362

Why I didn't leave

<edited to remove the crazy long link and just display the image - jonmulcahy>

<Thanks, jonmulcahy.
    -Asymptoteell>
  • xyloFUNxyloFUN Member Posts: 1,593
    To be honest,I have looked some code examples this afternoon (unlike you, I picked english ones) and I think that Lua is manageable like action script is.

It's like getting a grand piano. The first few days are not pretty but in time, it can be.
    xyloFUN said:
    To be honest, that is reasonably manageable and if one does that for a month, things should make a a lot of sense.

It's like getting a grand piano. The first few days are not pretty but in time, it can be.

I'm sure you're right. I have been starting to learn Lua, but I still love Gamesalad's ease of use.
    Another option is going Corona and learning LUA which is relatively easier that Obj-C.
    Lua doesn't seem that bad. I've been starting to learn some basic functions. I might try to use it to make a nongame app or a game that gamesalad can't do.
    Asymptoteell said:
    Lua doesn't seem that bad. I've been starting to learn some basic functions. I might try to use it to make a nongame app or a game that gamesalad can't do.

That is what rocks about Corona. You can code games along with non-game apps.
  • iPhoneDevForMeiPhoneDevForMe Member Posts: 362
    It would be better if they just didn't give the expectation of it coming.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    iDeveloper said:
    Another option is going Corona and learning LUA which is relatively easier that Obj-C.

My god, you are really bloody rubbish at leaving.

Seriously, how can anyone take you seriously when you throw your toys out of the pram, say you've had enough and then continue to post here?
    iDeveloper said:
    Why I left... (LOL I'm active on the forum)

Active how? Do you help people with any problems they're having? Do you encourage people with their games? Do you post any useful tips or demos or... well, anything positive?

Ziggy says no. You hang around, whine, threaten to leave, and evangelise another SDK.

Wow.

Well done you.

Here's a proposition for you. Leave. Just go. Please.

But please, do come back when you've made a game in Corona. I'd love to see it!

Goodbye!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    quantumsheep said:

Seriously, how can anyone take you seriously when you throw your toys out of the pram, say you've had enough and then continue to post here?

Active how? Do you help people with any problems they're having? Do you encourage people with their games? Do you post any useful tips or demos or... well, anything positive?

Ziggy says no. You hang around, whine, threaten to leave, and evangelise another SDK.

Wow.

Well done you.

Goodbye!

LOL I swear yesterday he said he wasn't going to post anymore. Just gonna keep an eye on the forum
  • AjBlueAjBlue Member Posts: 215
    quantumsheep said:

Wow.

Well done you.

Goodbye!

I have never seen the british side of you before mate. its scary
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    quantumsheep said:

Wow.

Well done you.

Goodbye!

It's about time somebody told him to leave. I mean seriously? Nice QS!
    DL
    AjBlue said:
    I have never seen the british side of you before mate. its scary

I like to think of it as my 'Hungarian' side ;)

Seriously though, it's the boy who cried wolf, isn't it?

I'm leaving, I hate this, here, have some abuse, Corona's great!

And then... nothing... he stays and does the same.

Over and over again.

I'm not normally like this, but there's only so much BS a sheep can take I'm afraid!

Asymptoteell said:

Why I didn't leave

<edited to remove the crazy long link and just display the image - jonmulcahy>

<Thanks, jonmulcahy.
    -Asymptoteell>

WOW - you picked an "interesting" site to take a picture from! FBI ??? LOL
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    quantumsheep said:
    I like to think of it as my 'Hungarian' side ;)

Seriously though, it's the boy who cried wolf, isn't it?

I'm leaving, I hate this, here, have some abuse, Corona's great!

And then... nothing... he stays and does the same.

Over and over again.

I'm not normally like this, but there's only so much BS a sheep can take I'm afraid!

never provoke a sheep! :) And all this talk he does about leaving gamesalad and loving corona, i bet hes never actually done anything in corona
    John,
    your post is two words too long ;)
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    Ok. Since this post got hijacked. Let's bring back the original question. Where is the "Big Picture" post that was promised, then promised again, and then just 6 hours ago promised for this afternoon?
    xyloFUN said:
    John,
    your post is two words too long ;)

That took a few seconds to work out, but boy was it worth it ;)

• JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    quantumsheep said:
    That took a few seconds to work out, but boy was it worth it ;)

took me a minute looking at it too hahaha :)
    dotsonj23 said:
    Ok. Since this post got hijacked. Let's bring back the original question. Where is the "Big Picture" post that was promised, then promised again, and then just 6 hours ago promised for this afternoon?

You know,
    sometimes things are not easy to write ...
    In 30 days from now it wont matter if Yodapollo posted yesterday or today or tomorrow or next week.

To be honest, I feel kind of sorry for them because there are very high stakes involved and they know that all kinds of people read this forum.

I think instead of "demand-ing" we should focus on "develop-ing" while we still can.

The game world is crazy and you never know what's around the corner?

It would have been nice to have a few paragraphs but if this is so hard to write for him than let's not make things worse by acting as we are the principal of St. Rude Elementary
  • AjBlueAjBlue Member Posts: 215
    xyloFUN said:
    You know,
    In 30 days from now it wont matter if Yodapollo posted yesterday or today or tomorrow or next week.

To be honest, I feel kind of sorry for them because there are very high stakes involved and they know that all kinds of people read this forum.

I think instead of "demand-ing" we should focus on "develop-ing" while we still can.

It would have been nice to have a few paragraphs but if this is so hard to write for him than let's not make things worse by acting as we are the principal of St. Rude Elementary

im with you to tell you the truth id rather to get the actual update sooner than him spending the time to tell us about the update
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    xyloFUN said:
    You know,

That bs. My point is don't say something is going to come out on a specific day and not do it. If you can't do it don't give a hard deadline just say you'll get it out as soon as you can. But to say you are going to post "this afternoon" and 10 hours later (into the next day) you don't (after you have already twice before delayed) I think we can comment on that and be disappointed. Its not like I called them names or threatened to leave.
    @dotsonj23,
    unfortunately, life does not work that way!

Maybe after he wrote it and started to tweak stuff, it fell apart (happens) and maybe his "standards" are higher than just to kick something out so it's out?

I don't know but one thing I do know and that is that it's not easy to be in his shoes.

Imagine the responsibility he and the team carry??

Besides, these constant posts we make (including myself) are probably hard to read when things don't go so well.
    I used to tour with a band for a few years and there were places we hated to play because the bar was full of retards who didn't know the difference between the key that locks a door and the key a song is written in.

GS is a unique concept that offers "already" a lot of advantages but, WE WANT MORE NOW MISTER!
    Never mind that they give the stuff to us for free - it is not good enough.

Please don't feel that this is directed at you or what you have said ... it's just a general impression of the week in posts here on the forum.

What GS offers is hard to develop, no one is further ahead than they are and best of all, we are on the band wagon.

Let's enjoy the ride :)
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

QS :)

• simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    xyloFUN .. . I generally agree with your post, however there is a pattern of behavior here that is alarming to say the least. At some point yesterday Yodapollo must have gone home. Either he didn't feel that his update was ready for the public or someone else told him he couldn't post it. He or that other person then chose not to post a short note to explain the delay again and instead allow a number of people (probably GS's most ardent supporters) to waste an evening/night looking for the promised update. Piss poor.

Secondly, I and a number of others are waiting on certain aspects of our game that could very well be effected by this news. We are running around recycling actors because of the spawn memory issue not to mention building complex pause effects which are entirely un-needed if the leaks are to be understood.

I run a business I started 10yrs ago and we have had some challenges as all companies do/will but I am astonished by GS's lack of concern for its 'evangelists' .. I mean why give it away free to get a group of people using/happy with your product and then not communicate with them?

Sorry I know everyone shares this frustration so I'm just ranting a bit because I was excited by the possibility of some news that might help.

My concern is also for the success of GS as I appreciate what they have done, I want it to be a success for them. If Corona get a Drag and drop UI to cover up their code and I would assume would allow also to dig in the code then I think GS is dead. I among others would likely finish off games that are nearly complete in GS but start all new projects in Corona and that will be that.
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    I have been digging around corona web site and believe there is no plan at this time for a GUI. When you look at GS, iTorque and GameMaker, I still think GS is better but if people are looking at being able to extend a game beyond the GUI then iTorque is a good option and only $99 including engine source code.

Going forward a couple of years, GS will be 1.x and a lot more stable and iOS devices will be a lot faster.
  • simo103simo103 Member, PRO Posts: 1,331
    TwistedMech said:
    Going forward a couple of years, GS will be 1.x and a lot more stable and iOS devices will be a lot faster.

I know I'm just letting off steam ... let's hope in a couple of year's 1.x has in-app purchase, social networking, gamecenter etc.

Also this is from Wanye's post on his project merger program:

[Ability to convert GameSalad Project Source (XML/LUA) to Corona (LUA Script)]
    Hmmmm - I'm sure Corona will have a GUI in the future, so no need really."

I took this two ways, one he has some insight that maybe they are working on it and two ... that his project merger probably could convert a GS project to LUA Script. So if Corona don't, and GS don't buy up this program from Wayne then we could have the best of both worlds. Drag and drop in GS, export to Corona, tweak code, add in missing features and get actual support from Corona staff.
  • Cee3pee0Cee3pee0 Member, PRO Posts: 194
    Yodapollo said:
    Almost done with all the revisions.

@xyloFUN

You bring up an interesting point. Part of the coming post is actually about how I don't think "Big Picture" posts are the way to go. We're going to be making much more of an effort to respond more often, and in shorter posts about more subjects than are generally covered in the "Big Picture"s.

I think the community would much rather have more regular and consistent communication than a large data dump every month or two. I can't tell you how ecstatic I am to be able to start doing that.

- Yodapollo

My vote is for more communication AND a Big Picture once in awhile!
  • TwistedMechTwistedMech Member Posts: 408
    Has GS run out of money and only one guy working (Yodapollo)? Could be why its all slow :-(
    Maybe we should all buy shares if they are available and then as share holders, we would get more updates lol!
    TwistedMech said:
    Has GS run out of money and only one guy working (Yodapollo)? Could be why its all slow :-(
    Maybe we should all buy shares if they are available and then as share holders, we would get more updates lol!

I am willing to sell you 1000 shares for one dollar each! Can you pay via pay pal?

On a more serious note, WHY are you mocking them while at the same time identifying yourself as a person that has no clue what "IPO" stands for?

@ simo103,
    From a professional point of view yes, someone has to post something a.s.a.p. and it better be positive!

But the damage is done as the door to speculation has opened up more and the only guy who has the key to lock it went on vacation ...

Choosing silence might just be all it takes to motivate someone with a gift for writing technical material and as soon as that becomes available, plenty of us can and Wiley expand!

What GS desperately needs is a hit game!
    Our criticism, deserved or not, has little power but nothing speaks louder than a hot game produced with GS.

iTunes is a monster and just because GS gives us a free visitor pass to the monsters cage doesn't make us heroes.

If corona lands two more successes as they just did with the kid from Utah .... well, there is nothing to add after that other than: "This is the captain speaking! ..."

Last point. MANY here, including myself, respect yodapollo for what he has done and I'm sure that as soon as the groundhog sticks his neck out, kids and those who have outgrown the kids stage, will praise him once more .... for a little while anyway.

But he must do a better than good job of demonstrating that the name of this ship is not The Titanic because it is getting colder in here which means we are in icy waters!

So, who among us has what it takes to turn corona users heads?

P.S. Those of you, not familiar with the word "Wiley" please google "John Wiley & Sons"
This discussion has been closed.