GameSalad 0.9.3 - Game Center is Here!

YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
Hey, everybody!

It's here! GameSalad 0.9.3 Beta is live and ready for download. At GameSalad, we aim for each update to best all previous versions of the Creator. We want it faster, more reliable, and with more features than ever before. I can say that 0.9.3 definitely meets those criteria.

With GameSalad 0.9.3 Beta, we introduce a couple of new features that our community has been asking for, as well as our largest single release improvement ever, in terms of Creator memory management, performance, and stability.

Ladies and gentlemen, GameSalad 0.9.3 Beta is here!

Game Center Leaderboards

At long last, Game Center has come to GameSalad. Our newest Professional Feature allows users to integrate Game Center leaderboards into their games, thus providing their players a whole new way to share GameSalad-powered games with others.

In addition to including the trio of Game Center behaviors (Login, Post Score, Show Leaderboard), we’re also including a new template, specifically for guiding developers through the best practices of Game Center integration.

Commenting Out Behaviors

In GameSalad 0.9.3, we’ve included a new usability feature for our behavior system. We call this commenting out behaviors. The feature presents itself as a simple on/off switch on rule, group, and behavior boxes within the Actor Editor. This small interface change provides profound usability improvements that could save developers hours of building time. By commenting out behaviors, users that, in effect, unit test their actor’s behavior systems, as well as future proof their game for multiple platforms by simply commenting out the controls that do not apply to a certain target.

Improved Display Text

We’ve provided some much needed improvements for our Display Text behavior with the new update. Display Text now fully supports left/right/center alignments and properly supports text wrapping.

Reliability and Performance

As states above, GameSalad 0.9.3 Beta signifies the largest improvement in terms of Creator performance, memory management, and stability in a single release. Creator slow downs and crashes are virtually a thing of the past. With these dramatic improvements it’s easy to remember why we all do this: making games is fun!

Bonus Material

With this update, we’ve also included a number of new templates, mostly dealing with functionality – Game Center integration, Commenting Out Behaviors, and App Rating Process. These templates are not full games and designed to show functionality and best practices in a more useful way.

In addition, we’ll be posting a series of blog posts, written by the head of our internal game team, Billy Garretsen, providing a more in-depth look at these new templates and the latest features found in GameSalad 0.9.3 Beta.

What To Do Now:

Download GameSalad Creator 0.9.3
See What’s New in 0.9.3 plus Release Notes
Game Center Leaderboards Tutorial
Commenting Out Behaviors Tutorial
App Rating Tutorial
Display Text Tutorial

Comments

• SkyMapleSkyMaple Member Posts: 817
    Hooray for the memory fix!

Game Making Service
    Sketch to Vector Service
    "Power Orb" Style Template
    Targeting System Template
    Code for Art- Trading
  • FanStudioUKFanStudioUK Member Posts: 459
    Yeeeeey! Thank you so much!
  • DrGlickertDrGlickert Member Posts: 1,135
    SWEEEEET!!!
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    So the comment out thing is masala
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    @Chaser

No, the commenting out is not Masala. Commenting Out was just a usability feature we wanted to include. Masala is much bigger and should be part of the next release.

--Yodapollo
  • hdeandahdeanda Member, PRO Posts: 55
    YESS!!!!

Commenting Out Behaviors- I LOVE THIS!!

No more pinwheel of death. Now we can be in the zone for a long time.

Display Text is Fixed- Cool!

Game Center - An absolutely required option and now we have it!
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Excellent stuff, thanks muchly!
    Yodapollo said:
    Masala is much bigger and should be part of the next release.

I know what Masala's going to be: easy access to the sauce file!

:-)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    Those using Pause, if you're using the "change attribute" "self.image" trick - in order to speed up scene loading - you might notice that your actors are blank when you return to the scene. That's what happened to me.

Heh... now I have to figure out a workaround... and then update approximately 140 actors.

Also, there might be an issue with fixed rotation. That seems to have been ignored. The bullets from the fire gun in BOT started to curve, as there was a rotate behavior on the actor. That rotate behavior should not have been on the bullet. I didn't notice it because fixed rotation was overriding the rotation behavior. But now, the projectiles started rotating.
  • CelestialiCelestiali Member Posts: 55
    Yes!!! GameSalad ROCKS!!! Thank you guys!!!
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Yippee! SOOO happy about the memory leak fix!
  • Metronome49Metronome49 Member Posts: 297
    Heh. I'm going to let you guys work out the bugs...
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    I have an AWESOME solutions for the Rate System, to be included in your First Game Submission!
    You Must have a WEsbite, and make a Special page like:
    http://www.epiggames.com/ePigDashRate (Doesn't exits now)

Then, you just redirect that page to your Rating Link Once your app is approved and the Id is Assigned!

:D

Cheers.

I'm happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    Thanks Yoda
    You Can Make the USer Automatically Log In when they lunch the App right?
    You Put a Timer, After 2 Sconds, log in.

Will That Work?
    I don't want to Add a Log in button.

Cheers.
  • joshcaljoshcal Member Posts: 100
    woop! so cool :) can't wait to go pro in the summer!
    -josh
    When Will the Project of the Rate Game Video Will be Available?
    I dotn see it in GameSalad and i want that link :D

Cheers-
  • alladinianalladinian Member Posts: 7
    Really impressed with the performance boost...
    Now... if we could only have custom shapes for physics, we'd be ready to produce some real diamonds :)
  • RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    Great, downloading now. This seems to be one of the best updates that I've since whilst I've been using GS [if i were a pro at least]. Can't wait until I can afford it. Thanks
  • SaveDaveSaveDave Member Posts: 140
    Have just downloaded 0.9.3.

When I test my game in the Preview within GameSalad it crashes once I start the main actor moving in the first level.

It is fine when I test it on a device.
  • VoidedSkyVoidedSky Member Posts: 1,095
    I have installed .9.3, and when I run it, everything works besides my pro features, I have logged in and out a couple times also.
    What should I do?
    ~CTM
  • JCFordJCFord Member Posts: 785
    Great news, thanks GS team, look forward to giving 0.93 a test drive!
  • BramHoddssdBramHoddssd Member Posts: 414
    This is awesome! But will i have to update the gamesalad viewer on my ipod touch? Thanks.
  • SaveDaveSaveDave Member Posts: 140
    Have just downloaded 0.9.3.

When I test my game in the Preview within GameSalad it crashes once I start the main actor moving in the first level.

It is fine when I test it on a device....

....The above problem I had was to do with playing a sound at a specific time. I am now playing the sound 0.01 seconds later and the game is no longer crashing in Preview. However, I am not hearing any sounds at all in Preview.

Volume on the mac is up etc. and the sounds play fine when testing on a device.

Is anyone having any similar problems?
    what the... when i drag my backgrounds into the scene they're completely blank. All my other images are fine. I have ten backgrounds none of them work. HELP.
    i really hate updates...
  • ScootsScoots Member Posts: 507
    Thanks GS, exciting times. :-)
  • RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272
    I've made an adhoc. I can login with my gamecenter account, and one time I see the empty leaderboard, but when I try post a score I get this message "Score report failed. The requested operations could not be vompleted because one or more parameters are invalid." What is wrong?

at Gamecenter IDon GS behaviour I have put my bundle i.e. "com.marcosriffel.mygamecenter ID" it is correct? or the ID is just "mygamecenterID"?
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Not on my laptop, but you have to put in the ID of the leader board you want to post in, which is organised in iTunes under game centre.

Hope that helps,

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    What I did when I saw this post:
    1. read it.
    2. opened gamesalad.
    3. said to install update.
    4. While I was waiting, I read the comments here.
    5. finished installing.
    6. opened up my project.
    7. opened up a scene.
    8. opened up an actor.
    9. Said to my computer: "Oh S*** that's fast!" and jumped a half inch out of my chair.

Thank you Gamesalad wizard! Our human sacrifices clearly have pleased you.

Asymptoteell