GameSalad 0.9.3 - Game Center is Here!

Comments

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    MagoNicolas said:

PS: AGAIN PLEASE! Someone make a GameCenter Testing ad Hoc Video!

Mate its actually incredibly easy :) I did it last night and all is working great. Here is what i did;

Setup Leaderboards in iTunes for a game that is already live.

Called the leaderboards the profile of my game. i.e. com.kc8.yourgamename

Added Leaderboard behaviours in my game calling upon the leaderboard com.kc8.yourgamename

Downloaded a development profile. i.e. not for distribution to the appstore with the same profile name - com.kc8.yourgamename

Installed the profile and published my game in GS using this profile.

Dragged my file GS gave back to me into iTunes, synche'd up and BOOM, i have Leaderboards :)

* Note. As well as post your highscore on gameover etc, you'll need a button to show leaderboards as you wont be taken to this automatically
  • okimokiokimoki Member Posts: 159
    This is most excelent news..
    I dont have much time right now since i have a new baby 3 weeks old now, but as soon things "stabilize" at home im getting right back in!!
    Maybe there's gonna be another update till then :)
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    wow how can I miss this
    THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I AM NOT GOING TO REVIEW MY EXAM ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thanks GS for the awesome update
  • Chris FitsimonsChris Fitsimons Member Posts: 134
    Hi

Has anyone noticed any game performance increase when the game is running on the device?

thanks
    Beth.

• FogelbergFogelberg Member Posts: 103
    Excellent release and it looks really easy to implement. I'm adding it to the next update of the game formally known as PLOP Master. :)
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    Wow, that's a very nice release. Thank you!

Creator improvements and GC are awesome.

It's nice that the Display Text behavior is being improved, however the characters are still not really sharp and the ability to add more fonts is a must.

MagoNicolas said:
    Yes.

perfect!! Why is this happening?
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    GS is awesome
  • Chris FitsimonsChris Fitsimons Member Posts: 134
    Is it possible to read the current players highest score from the leader board?

I just did a test where I posted a value of 1500 and then looked at the leader board. I then posted a score of 1000. The leader board only displays 1000 and not both entries for today. Is this by design? I know we check our own game high score on the device before we post to game center but if the player has the game on more than one device then a lesser score could overwrite the leader board score from another device.

beth.

• xarmianxarmian Member Posts: 124
    Just curious what other people are doing with leaderboards. I have the option of posting a score at the end of each round, but if a user is not logged in to Game Center then they get prompted to log in EVERY time they complete a level. What if they don't want to log in or don't use game center? Plus, if they cancel the log in, then they get a second alert telling them there was an error. That just seems insanely annoying. I also think it would be annoying to make a user click a "Post" button after every level.

Other notes:
    1. The login behavior seems unnecessary, since the Post behavior will prompt a user to log in.
    2. Sometimes the Post and "View Leaderboard" behaviors actually lock up the game. I think this is an Apple issue, and may be a problem with their sandbox server not responding.

Because of these issues, I implemented Game Center by creating a main menu button. When clicked, it pauses the game and launches a "game center" scene. The Game Center scene contains the Post behavior when it's launched, and contains a button for "View Leaderboards" and "Return to Game", which are self-explanatory. That way scores are only posted when a user goes into the Game Center menu option. This is less than ideal, but I feel like it's better than the alternative.

Thoughts?

Edit: On an unrelated note - the improvements to GS Creator are excellent. Being able to use forward/back buttons is extremely helpful when working between a scene and an actor, or a scene and an instance. I was working on this game two days ago and it's gotten so large that GS was becoming unusable within just a few minutes. I could enter 7 actor instances before it would need to be restarted.
  • LordTarantorLordTarantor Member, PRO Posts: 890
    It keeps telling me This game is not recognized by Game Center.
    I dont know what I am doing wrong. I know that for some of you this has been an easy process but for others it hasn't. Can somebody create a video like a step by step.
    LordTarantor said:
    It keeps telling me This game is not recognized by Game Center.
    I dont know what I am doing wrong. I know that for some of you this has been an easy process but for others it hasn't. Can somebody create a video like a step by step.

Try opening the Game Center app, and logging out of your account. Your game needs to log into a sandboxed version of Game Center, and if you're already logged in then it wont work.

Now, it should come up saying *** SANDBOX *** when you do log in from your app, or at least when you go to create a new account (your live game center ID will not work with the sandbox, you need to create a new account in the sandbox). If it doesn't say sandbox, it means you're not in sandbox mode.

If you're not getting into sandbox mode, it's likely because of AppSync, which is a patch for installd on the iPhone, which screws with how apps are installed (and is what allows installing unsigned/modified/cracked apps). The real kicker, is that uninstalling AppSync doesn't repair installd (or at least it doesn't seem to), you actually have to re-flash your phone's firmware. There may be another way around reflashing, but that's at least one definite (albeit cumbersome) solution.
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    beefy_clyro said:
    Mate its actually incredibly easy :) I did it last night and all is working great. Here is what i did;

Setup Leaderboards in iTunes for a game that is already live.

Called the leaderboards the profile of my game. i.e. com.kc8.yourgamename

Added Leaderboard behaviours in my game calling upon the leaderboard com.kc8.yourgamename

Downloaded a development profile. i.e. not for distribution to the appstore with the same profile name - com.kc8.yourgamename

Installed the profile and published my game in GS using this profile.

Dragged my file GS gave back to me into iTunes, synche'd up and BOOM, i have Leaderboards :)

* Note. As well as post your highscore on gameover etc, you'll need a button to show leaderboards as you wont be taken to this automatically

Thanks, so you can do it on a game that it is new iniTunes connect and not published?
    Must be a game ready for sale?did you watch your leaserboard working?

Cheers.
    MagoNicolas said:
    Thanks, so you can do it on a game that it is new iniTunes connect and not published?
    Must be a game ready for sale?did you watch your leaserboard working?

Cheers.

Hmmmm not sure, I just tested on a game that was live. I would assume as long as its in iTunes Connect, live or not you could, otherwise you could never launch a game with GameCenter, you would have to do it in a update. So my belief is, you can do it, as long as its in iTunes Connect.

I did indeed see my leaderboard working, only my results obviously but i setup 2 in my game and both worked as expected :)
  • DizkoDizko Member Posts: 498
    Bugs galore is keeping me away from this update, I'd rather deal with the memory leak than potentially having my game destroyed by the update. Perhaps when the bugs get worked out I'll update, and maybe I'll even go Pro.
    beefy_clyro said:
    Hmmmm not sure, I just tested on a game that was live. I would assume as long as its in iTunes Connect, live or not you could, otherwise you could never launch a game with GameCenter, you would have to do it in a update. So my belief is, you can do it, as long as its in iTunes Connect.

I did indeed see my leaderboard working, only my results obviously but i setup 2 in my game and both worked as expected :)

Thanks.

I Did Log In to Sand Box, And Says Welcome bla bla bla

When you post a A Score doesn't says nothing right?

And then..

Someoneone Know Why Im getting: Unable to Load ? When I try to see Leaderboard?

Thanks.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Dizko said:
    Bugs galore is keeping me away from this update, I'd rather deal with the memory leak than potentially having my game destroyed by the update. Perhaps when the bugs get worked out I'll update, and maybe I'll even go Pro.

Just be careful, you can no long build and release a .9.2 game, even if you publish from within .9.2, the game will be compiled in .9.3.

Just make a backup of all your projects and the .9.2 gamesalad application and download .9.3 and test it out
    MagoNicolas said:
    Thanks.

I Did Log In to Sand Box, And Says Welcome bla bla bla

When you post a A Score doesn't says nothing right?

And then..

Someoneone Know Why Im getting: Unable to Load ? When I try to see Leaderboard?

Thanks.

Correct, i just had it that when it was game over it posts the score to the leaderboard. I then have a button to view the leaderboard but weirdly, i seem to need to push that twice for it to open
    now I make it Work, But I Can Only see 0, I doesn't show the High Score I was posting :S
  • justpro5justpro5 Member Posts: 49
    Hi all
    Really Great .... Everything
    The most interesting thing for me is the behavior on and off really works great
  • LordTarantorLordTarantor Member, PRO Posts: 890
    xarmian said:
    Try opening the Game Center app, and logging out of your account. Your game needs to log into a sandboxed version of Game Center, and if you're already logged in then it wont work.

Now, it should come up saying *** SANDBOX *** when you do log in from your app, or at least when you go to create a new account (your live game center ID will not work with the sandbox, you need to create a new account in the sandbox). If it doesn't say sandbox, it means you're not in sandbox mode.

If you're not getting into sandbox mode, it's likely because of AppSync, which is a patch for installd on the iPhone, which screws with how apps are installed (and is what allows installing unsigned/modified/cracked apps). The real kicker, is that uninstalling AppSync doesn't repair installd (or at least it doesn't seem to), you actually have to re-flash your phone's firmware. There may be another way around reflashing, but that's at least one definite (albeit cumbersome) solution.

Thanks Xarmian, sorry for the delay, I was at work. My device is not jailbroken. Its been jailbrake free for a year now.
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    Hey, everybody!

I know people are having some issues with old projects and with assets not showing up. Our devs are working hard at fixing sourcing and fixing these issues.

We've sourced the issue with some old projects not opening. We currently have a work around for that one, until our fix is complete:

0.9.2 Project Not Opening Work Around:

1) Right-click on the corrupted .gameproj file and go to 'Show Package Contents'
    2) Look at the .gsuser file. You'll need to rename or delete that file (we suggest you just rename it — for example: test.gsuser)
    3) Run the project again

If the above work around does not alleviate the problem, please submit an official bug report through our web contact form.

Also, if you'd like to help us track this stuff down even faster, please send test cases and 0.9.2 files you've had issues with to Bugs at GameSalad dot com.

Thanks, everyone for your patience and help as we push through these fixes.

--Yodapollo
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    Hey Yoda, could you please fix the GC orientation problem? So far on the iPhone the "Welcome" message is only on portrait mode, but the leaderboards can rotate to landscape. However on the iPad also the leaderboards are only on portrait.

MarkOnTheIron said:
    Hey Yoda, could you please fix the GC orientation problem? So far on the iPhone the "Welcome" message is only on portrait mode, but the leaderboards can rotate to landscape. However on the iPad also the leaderboards are only on portrait.

I'm not seeing this.. my game is landscape and everything is landscape for me as it should be...
  • 777ideas.com777ideas.com Member, PRO Posts: 895
    What do I do Hear Single

Leaderboard

Leaderboard Reference Name

Leaderboard ID

Score Format Type

Sort Order Low to High High to Low
    Score Range (optional)
    To
  • SkyMapleSkyMaple Member Posts: 817
    MarkOnTheIron said:

I have this problem too :(
    When it goes to the leaderboards thats in landscape, just the message that pops up saying its logged in is always portrait
    Yeah, the "Welcome back" message in mine comes out landscape... as well as all the prompts, login/password prompt, etc. I'm not sure why you're having a problem.
  • expired_012expired_012 Member Posts: 1,802
    Another small thing.

Now when modifying an actors color you will not see the color change happening in the actor, you have to go back to the scene to see the change.
  • digitalduriandigitaldurian Member Posts: 15
    hey this is the best update yet as i can continue working much longer without slowing down! But something is wrong after updating...now my mac can't detect my device when plugged in, thus i can't update the viewer, thus i can't test my game no more. How is GS causing this? Did it overwrite anything regarding device connectivity to my mac?