What Can I Get Here for a $1

CaramelTigerClanCaramelTigerClan Member Posts: 143
I'm not going to lie, especially in this economy, I am not much of a spender. What kind of services may I be able to purchase here for one dollar?

Comments

• RedlerTechRedlerTech Member Posts: 1,583
    Nothing really. People might be willing to do things for free though :D

Matt
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    you can buy most of the games that our friendly community made for less than a $1 and study what makes a good game.
  • RedlerTechRedlerTech Member Posts: 1,583
    Is there something you need specifically?

Matt
  • CaramelTigerClanCaramelTigerClan Member Posts: 143
    I was just checking in on this.
    NextGen said:
    Is there something you need specifically?

Matt

Anything, really.
  • BlazingApplicationsBlazingApplications Member Posts: 340
    What is the deal with all of this $1 stuff?
  • 11clock11clock Member Posts: 450
    From what I've seen, things here are free, or cost like $40 for a TEMPLATE. Seriously? I do find the economy here to be a bit...uhh...overpriced.
  • CaramelTigerClanCaramelTigerClan Member Posts: 143
    11clock said:
    From what I've seen, things here are free, or cost like $40 for a TEMPLATE. I do find the economy here to be a bit...uhh...overpriced.

I have to admit, some of these templates are very complex, not exactly five minute jobs.

What do you deem a fair price for a template?
  • TeamLava8TeamLava8 Member, BASIC Posts: 294
    11clock said:
    From what I've seen, things here are free, or cost like $40 for a TEMPLATE. I do find the economy here to be a bit...uhh...overpriced.

No disrespect to you

In the iOS world $40 dollars for a game framework, especially one with decent graphics is a steal. In reality development to make a game like plants vs. zombies or doodle jump or angry birds along with graphics cost developers tens of thousand of dollars.

So $40 bucks isn't overpriced at all and honestly he marketplace here is pretty cheap. There are templates that range from 5 dollars to 80 on there. Which like I said, is a steal.

But there are some free items on there as well. Do a bit of digging and you'll be surprised.

Jason

Making the world better one pixel at a time!

My Website
    Over 70 AWESOME Gamesalad Templates by me!
    HIRE ME!

CaramelTigerClan said:
    I have to admit, some of these templates are very complex, not exactly five minute jobs.

What do you deem a fair price for a template?

$3-5 sounds more reasonable for a template. I guess it's because my family likes to only buy cheap stuff. They only gave me my Mac because it will allow me to develop iOS games and have a career.

You should check out the prices over at gmc.yoyogames.com for the templates for Game Maker. So far, I haven't found one template that is not free.
    11clock said:

No disrespect to you

In the iOS world $40 dollars for a game framework, especially one with decent graphics is a steal. In reality development to make a game like plants vs. zombies or doodle jump or angry birds along with graphics cost developers tens of thousand of dollars.

So $40 bucks isn't overpriced at all and honestly he marketplace here is pretty cheap. There are templates that range from 5 dollars to 80 on there. Which like I said, is a steal.

But there are some free items on there as well. Do a bit of digging and you'll be surprised.

Jason

My Website
    HIRE ME!

jayleedesigns said:
    11clock said:

No disrespect to you

Jason

I'm getting the idea that stuff isn't cheap anymore. It's hard to start making games for the iOS with only $100 to spare. :/
    you can do it!
    you can make decent amount of extra cash if you get a developer account.
    i have 3 games and bring in around 15-20 dollars a day on average. so around 3-500 dollars a month. And those games don't even sell well compared to many others.

do it

My Website
    HIRE ME!

• RodrigoPerezRodrigoPerez Member Posts: 212
    I'm a professional graphic designer that has done work for Target.com and Vogue magazine and I'll do all the artwork for your game for a dollar.
    RodrigoPerez said:
    I'm a professional graphic designer that has done work for Target.com and Vogue magazine and I'll do all the artwork for your game for a dollar.

your a good guy!

My Website
    HIRE ME!

• kapserkapser Member Posts: 458
    Now that's cheap labor :)
  • LuckyLurcherLuckyLurcher Member Posts: 343
    RodrigoPerez said:

I'll do all the artwork for 99c , beat that! ;)
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    RodrigoPerez said:

LuckyLurcher said:
    I'll do all the artwork for 99c , beat that! ;)

beware of smoked fish with a shopping list and $1.99
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    There seems to be a worrying trend for people not actually KNOWING, or maybe caring, what services are actually worth.
    There is also a worrying trend for people de-valuing their own services to pander to those people.

I have had a couple of people recently complain that my bespoke music services are too high. In reality, I charge gamesalad people 5 times less than I charge a normal studio client. I also price my music to the GS community in line with what you can find on stock music sites (it is NOT stock music though, it's bespoke to the client)

And yes people have still complained......but rather then devaluing my time even more, I pass on the job, tell them to go and find some sock music.
    If I were to charge my GS rates all day every day, I could actually earn more money buy going and working at the local fried chicken place, serving drunken idiots with shite chicken.

If you think $40 is too expensive for a (good) template, then you are a little deluded, and need to take a look in the real world. Get a quote from a profesional ios developer/dev team.
    For example, I was quoted by a dev in India, to do a fairly simple dodge-em-up type game, 3 months work, and $10,000.
    All of a sudden, $40 is nothing!

(When I talk about $40 for a template....I mean an actual useful one, not something that's been chucked together in 5 mins for a quick buck)

Forgive my rant...........and 99.9% of my clients are ace.

x
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    You get what you pay for, nothing. I doubt you will find something for a dollar. Maybe one level designed?
  • HachikoHachiko Member Posts: 330
    Well, but the other thing around is true too. Sure, a template at 40$ is a steal, considering you can make a good game out of that, learning, and probably earn those money back in a few days. But for a simple dodge-em-up game, 10.000$ are a lot of money, no matter how I look at it. I mean, even if it was art+code+music and sfx, I couldn't ask more than 3k$, and that would be the max possible rate too. The time it would require just isn't worth all that money, really, and I'm talking about objC, not gamesalad. So I think it's good to value those services, but they must not be overpriced too much too.
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    CaramelTigerClan said:
    I'm not going to lie, especially in this economy, I am not much of a spender. What kind of services may I be able to purchase here for one dollar?

you can have my art pack for that

________
    http://www.thatgameforum.com/
    http://gshelper.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GameSaladCookbook#p/
    http://gamesalad.com/wiki/
    http://www.deepblueapps.com/Deep_Blue_Ideas_Ltd./Home.html
    http://www.gamesalad.es/
    http://thatgameforum.com/threads/gs-videos.360/
    my email: calvin9403@hotmail.com
    my skype: calvin9403
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    old_kipper said:
    beware of smoked fish with a shopping list and $1.99

Excellent comment, kipper!! (haven't the faintest idea what you mean though... ;-)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Needless to say, we laughed in their faces when we got the quote back
    (this was before we found GameSalad, waaaaay back when by the way)
    Hachiko said:
    Well, but the other thing around is true too. Sure, a template at 40$ is a steal, considering you can make a good game out of that, learning, and probably earn those money back in a few days. But for a simple dodge-em-up game, 10.000$ are a lot of money, no matter how I look at it. I mean, even if it was art+code+music and sfx, I couldn't ask more than 3k$, and that would be the max possible rate too. The time it would require just isn't worth all that money, really, and I'm talking about objC, not gamesalad. So I think it's good to value those services, but they must not be overpriced too much too.

• old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    gyroscope said:
    (haven't the faintest idea what you mean though... ;-)

it's my new plan for world domination. I am going into game development management by using the forum's special offers. I reckon on a budget of $1.99 (which I can raise easily from donated body parts) I can find an idea, use all the offers of level building and free templates, get my art done, find out how to neuter the splash screen, and have a title run up with matching logo animation, and still have enough change to start a sweatshop. The title will also be assured of success by using review sites which will recognise my genius and tell the world.

kipper the wise

(p.s I am throwing money for art about as I reckon for twice the single dollar/99cents budget I should be up there with the big boys)
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Hahaha!!! :-D Whoops, I mean: hmm, I see... goood plan...

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    $10,000 is absurd for a game like that, they must be smoking some good stuff to be deluded enough to ask for that amount.

You can outsource code for big projects for about 1-2/3's that price, but if you find the right peeps I guess!

I think the templates in the Marketplace are a bargain. Are you kidding me? First it's the app store and people expecting games to be .99 cents, and now this! What is this world coming to that I once knew! (The gaming world that is)
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    I have a great idea actually because of this thread. Template Raffles. So I'm gonna sell $1 chances at my template Raffle and once we have a minimum of 40 tickets purchased I will Draw a random number and the winner will get all of my templates for their $1 entry.

What do you think. This could make things very interesting and provide people really cheap chances at templates.

:)
    well its just like playing the lottery. You buy a ticket and you either win or loose. Oh and I thought about it and I Don't even have to have 40 paid entries. If there are less I will still have a random number generator pick from 40 numbers this way the game is played as though 40 people entered and theres just a chance that one of the invisible users enters. Come on guys its only $1 think off all the dollars you have wasted on crappy apps.

Of course I am going to have to look into the legality of such a contest since I think raffle type contests are not allowed in some states.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    lol that's not a bad idea tenrdrmer! It's only $1 what have you got to lose! :)