Loading Times and RAM Usage

Comments

• creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    I read mynameisace video tutorial for increase loading time its same what codemonkey said?

@Codemonkey please upload the video tutorial for that. Thanks
  • JamesLewisJamesLewis Member, PRO Posts: 109
    Thanks for the info. V useful.

J
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Btw, How can it be "Our Fault" The ram problem, if with the same code, we had a Ram increase from 0.96 to 0.97?
  • LordTarantorLordTarantor Member, PRO Posts: 890
    Dont pay attention to that Mago that was only one of those comment like the GSDirect kind of comment. You are holding it wrong kind of comments... It will pass soon. They will come up with something more elaborate soon...
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    MagoNicolas said:
    Btw, How can it be "Our Fault" The ram problem, if with the same code, we had a Ram increase from 0.96 to 0.97?

Usually updates have performance increases. Not decreases.
    Guess I have to sell it as an feature in my latest update:

New in 1.2:

-New icon
    -Fixed volume button issues
    -Performance decrease
  • v00d0v00d0 Member Posts: 143
    anyone know if they published a template or a tutorial? Anyway thanks a lot you doing a great job.
  • marc_greiffmarc_greiff Member, PRO Posts: 250
    @Devs - Thanks for keeping us in the community in the loop!
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Please upload video tutorial for this best practices.
    +1 Yes we need video tutorial for that. Please upload video tutorial.
  • zombieaddictzombieaddict Member Posts: 213
    In regards to the RAM issue. Why can't objects be cleared from memory as soon as we're finished using them? Why is it that we have to wait for a change scene to get RAM freed up. And that isn't a guarantee either. In a certain other well known SDK ram is released the split second that the object is. We could make better games with GS if we didnt have this strange limitation floating above our head.
  • gariantrollgariantroll Member Posts: 219
    Oh man, you don't know the half of my pain.
    waiting for the template, video and next update. Beacuse I am stuck in the game production. Please help us asap
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    creativeapps said:
    waiting for the template, video and next update. Beacuse I am stuck in the game production. Please help us asap

Codemonkey said it will be at least a week 3 days ago. Have patient
    I know john but I am requesting for video tutorial also. Just like how Tshirt doing.
  • azimpactazimpact Member Posts: 112
    Yodapollo said:
    Hey guys,

Example: I have an attribute for FramesPerSecond, an attribute for max number of frames in the sequence, and an attribute used as a counter for the frame number.

Using a Timer to run every 1/FramesPerSecond, I increment the counter attribute and change the image using Change Attribute to "Hero"..game.HeroType.."_"..game.AnimationType.."_"..game.frameNumber..".png"

This same method is used in The Secret of Grisly Manor, but on a much larger scale.

--Yodapollo

Any way of getting a better explanation of this without having to wait for the video. For example, if I'm incrementing the frame number, how does it know when to stop and not increment it for ever?

I have 4 images for the animation and have played around with this but can't seem to grasp it. A few more details might help with that give me just the push I need to figure it out.
    All I can say is this frustrating.. I'm on the last level of my game and up to this point never had a problem with ram going over 35. After I updated, I noticed I'm getting more pinwheels of death and the ram even on a scene with only a few actors now tops 50. Going through and implementing the changes suggested would take forever and longer that actually waiting for the fix. I should not have to take two step backwards when ever I update.

When is the next version due out?

Want to add that rebooting the computer clears this up for a while. It did not due this prior to the last update.

PS> Don't get me wrong.. I love Gamesalad.. Just getting close the finish line on something I've worked on since March and getting anxious about updates...
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    azimpact said:
    All I can say is this frustrating.. I'm on the last level of my game and up to this point never had a problem with ram going over 35. After I updated, I noticed I'm getting more pinwheels of death and the ram even on a scene with only a few actors now tops 50. Going through and implementing the changes suggested would take forever and longer that actually waiting for the fix. I should not have to take two step backwards when ever I update.

When is the next version due out?

Want to add that rebooting the computer clears this up for a while. It did not due this prior to the last update.

PS> Don't get me wrong.. I love Gamesalad.. Just getting close the finish line on something I've worked on since March and getting anxious about updates...

These are on the iOS device specific workarounds. The Pinwheel of death you mentioned make me think the issue you are having is the same that has been around since the beginning of GameSalad. And thats the creators performance. It has gotten better over time but on occasion it seems run stints of Random crashes and such every so often but then other times work for numerous hours without issue.

But just wanted to clarify techniques mentioned above are intended to improve performance on the iOS device. Forgive me if i'm misunderstanding where your issues are but it sounds to me like its in the creator. How does the game play In an adhoc build on your device?
    tenrdrmer said:
    These are on the iOS device specific workarounds. The Pinwheel of death you mentioned make me think the issue you are having is the same that has been around since the beginning of GameSalad. And thats the creators performance. It has gotten better over time but on occasion it seems run stints of Random crashes and such every so often but then other times work for numerous hours without issue.

But just wanted to clarify techniques mentioned above are intended to improve performance on the iOS device. Forgive me if i'm misunderstanding where your issues are but it sounds to me like its in the creator. How does the game play In an adhoc build on your device?

The game actually plays great when I reboot and start fresh. If I work on it, view it on the device, work on it again that's when I'll start seeing issues.

It works fine on the older 2nd generation itouch as well.

I don't think that this problem would carry over to a published version.
  • outasiteoutasite Member Posts: 417
    @CodeMonkey, Thank You for the quick explanation. I was thinking of making a template for everyone, but then I read that you were going to release one soon.

This will greatly help when creating AI for my current game when checking if spots are open for moving.
    Hey guys. I made (attempted) a demo, to show how to do the 'text arrays.' It is shown through a example using a deck of cards and picking up a crd at a time. Each time a card is picked up it is moved to the used pile, and added to the array.

The demo explains it all: Adding to & searching within

Have Fun, Be Safe
    Michael

Link to Thread
    Download Demo HERE
    As far as the animation goes. How far has anyone ever pushed it? With both the animate behavior and the timer work around?

How much does this kill performance?
    Does 15-17, 5-7frame animations remove 2nd gen out of picture?
  • gariantrollgariantroll Member Posts: 219
    outasite said:
    As far as the animation goes. How far has anyone ever pushed it? With both the animate behavior and the timer work around?

How much does this kill performance?
    Does 15-17, 5-7frame animations remove 2nd gen out of picture?

Our game has over 3000 frames of animation and we use an Ipad 1 for testing. On any given scene we probably will have around 500 to 600 frames in RAM, but it doesn't effect frames to much if we have only 5 heavy animated characters on screen and some can be duplicated bringing the scene to 12 animated characters on screen with out dipping below 30fps. But that being said, I do not use timers at all. Timers are death to this game. The only issue I have is the memory not being dumped from stage to stage, so until they get rid of that problem I am stuck. Otherwise It runs rather well.
    @gariantroll

Thank you! What a wonderful reply.

Michael
    1 week is complete and still waiting for codemonkey tutorial. Please upload video tutorial asap.
    Spooky Hoofs and Spin The Nut users are complaining for loading time. Both games are excellent endless and physics. Still beause of loading time ram usage issue gs developers losing sale.
    @ creativeapps

I don't know if you have check it out, but I made a demo for the arrays, for everyone until codemoney has his out. Check it out.

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=31218&replies=6#post-230759
  • ckck Member Posts: 224
    creativeapps said:
    Spooky Hoofs and Spin The Nut users are complaining for loading time. Both games are excellent endless and physics. Still beause of loading time ram usage issue gs developers losing sale.

Yes, I got a bollocking on Kirkus Reviews over loading times
    Outasite thanks for the tutorial. But GS Team not taking these seriosuly. Loading time Ram Usage affect everyone developer sales and user game experince. Why dont they put this issue in more high priority. Inapp, Gamecenter achievement and all other features are useless if our games are not working properly. When will they take action to completely remove this loading ram issue?
    Creating yellow sticky with announacement is not the solution.
    Yodapollo said:
    we’ll try and get some more out in the near future. We’re also aiming to get 0.9.80 ready for release as soon as we can. Thank you, everyone, for your feedback and comments. Your input continues to inspire us to make GameSalad everything we all want it to be.

Yoda is there any approx date for 0.9.80 release?
    I want to request GameSalad developer team to focus more on Loading time and Ram usage Instead of features like inapp purchase and gamecenter achievements. These features are also imporant for developers. But what about users who actually play our game.

Every one Gamesalad release new update with new features thats good. Its like every month gamesalad buildup one floor of the buidling. But they are not thinking that basement (loading/ram) is allready weak.

When Pro user getting inapp purchase and gamecenter achievement they feel happy but what happen when beacuse of loading and ram usage issue you will reduce your sales? I am working in these industry since 3-4 years And I am aware with that.

Gamesalad team can take time. Spend all focus on loading and ram usage issue. They have $6.1 million funding and they are capable to solve these issue.

Read Spin The Nut user feedback in toucharcade and Spooky Hoofs feedback in itunes. Users are complaining badly only beacuse of loading time and ram usage.

Personally I bealieve that we dont need any extra features till next update. All I want to see gamesalad remove loading time and solve the ram usage. Right now 4-5 gamesalad games are famous in app store market. See what happen when they solve loading time and ram usage issue.

Its All about user gaming experince.They want to play not watch that loading.

I wish with 0.9.8 they remove loading time and solve ram usage.
    I read Yodapollo sticky on Ram usage. I know they are working on this but I wish they include this in next feature.

Remember "LOADING TIME AND RAM USAGE" will increase sale of each and everyone. And thats the truth.