Resizing to iPad Technique

Comments

• BackUpAndDownBackUpAndDown Member Posts: 685
    Wouldn't this leave a thick black border around the game?
  • BackUpAndDown said:

IF you resize your background actors, then yes. That's why I specified you're better off using a properly scaled image for backgrounds. Instead of resizing the background, change image attribute to properly scaled 1024x768 image, and it looks right. If you resize, then yes you get black border as expected.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    This is useful for making screen captured vids too. Thanks for posting.

Shaz
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    BackUpAndDown said:

Not if you use the Camera Trick instead. The options mentioned here sound solid but I think in the end IMO the camera trick is easier with that same result. Especially if the project was not originally planned with those things in mind or the project was done at an iphone size instead of ipad size first. In my case I always make the iphone version first. so it makes more sense for me to use the camera method. But my screen is also only 13 inches and it is brutal to try to work on ipad games. So i'm also a bit biased. :)
  • micksolomicksolo Member Posts: 264
    Tendrmr, if you were a pretty lady I'd make sweet sweet love to you.

I was having problems with a project that I resized using Deep Blue Apps tool, and I just converted it in 5 minutes with your workaround and the problems I had with the conversion are no longer there...THANK YOU!
  • 921creative921creative Member, PRO Posts: 140
    Is the standard practice to design your art at double the resolution to accommodate iPad & iPhone?
    Generally you design the art at least double to accommodate Resolution independence on the iPhone 4. Some ppl design at the iPad size which is larger than double the iPhone size. Some people just stretch the Double sized art for the iPhone and using in on the iPad. Its kinda a whats your preference thing.
  • 921creative921creative Member, PRO Posts: 140
    So how do these resizing techniques take into consideration the difference in proportion when going from iPhone to iPad or vice versa?
    Have you read the first several posts. We talk about how to adjust for the difference.
  • dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Member Posts: 620
    Wow! I thought this was too good to be true until I tried it. 2 hours ago I decided I was going to buy the image resizer from dba and never got around to it. Now that I saw this I don't need to.
    Bump so everyone gets a chance to see this.
    Glad its working for you Mr. Rinoy

If you don't mind, Which method did you use. Im guessing the camera method due to how fast you where able to do it but just wanna know being that there is 3 different methods listed in this thread.
    tenrdrmer said:
    Glad its working for you Mr. Rinoy

If you don't mind, Which method did you use. Im guessing the camera method due to how fast you where able to do it but just wanna know being that there is 3 different methods listed in this thread.

I used your method. It's really fast. Then I used TexFinderX (http://sw.ixoft.com/texfinderx/) to edit all of my project's xml files in the scenes folder to change the tracking position to what I had in the iPhone version. For anyone who is interested, TexFinderX is free. Finally, I increased the quality of all my low res images using Vector Magic (http://vectormagic.com/home). Vector Magic is a free online program or you can buy a desktop version with more features. I have the desktop version so I can convert many images at once. This took me about 4 hours to figure out, but now that I know how, I could probably convert a project in about 45 minutes.
    Wow so you edited the xml files instead of adding a camera control actor to each scene? And does vector magic work for .pngs?
    tenrdrmer said:
    Wow so you edited the xml files instead of adding a camera control actor to each scene? And does vector magic work for .pngs?

Yes and yes :)
    It was much faster.
  • GhostShipAppsGhostShipApps Member Posts: 81
    Thank you, thank you and thanks again. 35 minutes and I got an Ipad version. sweet.
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    Man, I have the resizer and all, but this was so much faster!
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    Alright, this is not working for me. I went into the actor and changed it's height (Landscape game) and I went into the scene attributes and changed the camera size. Not only do things looked stretch still, but some of my collision rules are not working right.

Any ideas?
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Also did a quick test on the reverse method...

If you have an iPad version, and change the camera size width to 1024 and height to 768, it seems to produce a flawless iPhone version... If this has been covered already, my apologies for redundancy...
  • BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374
    Conversion to iPad almost worked without a hitch. I have actors that are stacked on top of each other. The suggested method for rescaling causes spaces between the actors because the resizing takes place after the initial scene has been rendered. I still love this technique but I may just have to go with stretched actors.
    You could just change their positions slightly in the scene so that when it resizes they are lined up perfectly. Or instead of shrinking the width you could try changing the height on those actors by 1.1 so they stay side by side and stretch up and down just a little.

Theres no set in stone method so play around with it. im sure you will be able to do many different things to make your project work without having to fully reprogram it in a new size.
    BobD said:
    Conversion to iPad almost worked without a hitch. I have actors that are stacked on top of each other. The suggested method for rescaling causes spaces between the actors because the resizing takes place after the initial scene has been rendered. I still love this technique but I may just have to go with stretched actors or go change all the actors size attributes.

Thank you for the suggestion. I give it a try.
  • keweworkshopkeweworkshop Member Posts: 377
    butterbean said:
    Also did a quick test on the reverse method...

If you have an iPad version, and change the camera size width to 1024 and height to 768, it seems to produce a flawless iPhone version... If this has been covered already, my apologies for redundancy...

I am about to embark on changing my iPad version into an iPhone version. I feel embarrassed asking this, because I am obviously missing something simple. But I don't understand, how can I change my camera to 1024 by 768, when it is already set at that?

Edit: nevermind, I figured it out. I didn't change my game to iPhone, stupid mistake :(
    Wow! That was really easy!

My concern is that doing it this way, my iphone app is going to be the same size as my iPad app. It's almost 48MB. I made an adhoc and it runs on my iPod touch but do you think that it will be too much for the earlier models to handle?
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I am just blown away.

Seriously.

I converted Sunshine to iPad in 10 minutes. Everything apart from the level select, which I'll do tomorrow.

It just works.

Amazing find everyone. Great stuff! :D

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879
    butterbean said:
    If you have an iPad version, and change the camera size width to 1024 and height to 768, it seems to produce a flawless iPhone version

Wow! How did I miss that one. It does seem to work perfectly. Thanks for sharing this great find!

RThurman
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    RThurman said:
    butterbean said:
    If you have an iPad version, and change the camera size width to 1024 and height to 768, it seems to produce a flawless iPhone version

Wow! How did I miss that one. It does seem to work perfectly. Thanks for sharing this great find!

RThurman

That is BRILLIANT.

Another thought.... bear with me on this...

If we ever get Android... Could you have a title screen that asks which model phone you have? Then store the screen size X and Y in a variable so that it can change depending on your Android phone model and its screen size?

Like I said, just a thought...

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

quantumsheep said:
    That is BRILLIANT.

Another thought.... bear with me on this...

If we ever get Android... Could you have a title screen that asks which model phone you have? Then store the screen size X and Y in a variable so that it can change depending on your Android phone model and its screen size?

Like I said, just a thought...

Well now your just getting greedy
    Having a time with the resizing from iPad to iPhone. I thought it went really great until I realized that all the actors are stretched. This is no good for me because it's a storybook and all of the characters have extra long legs lol!

I have read through this thread a few times and some of it seems like greek to me. I just don't quite understand. So tenrdrmer said to multiply the actors width by .9 for iPhone to iPad, so do I divide them all by .9?