Resizing to iPad Technique

1235»

Comments

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    To be honest I think custom fonts would have been way easier to setup then working out that expression for displaying the text. Go to the cookbook YouTube channel and search for custom fonts. There's a good video there explaining it. But basically you just need to break that expression up for each digit actor.

And no I don't think the display text issues are on any immediate roadmap at this time. I'm hoping when they get the new engine out it will open up font options a lot more. For now though we will just have to make due.

Cheers
  • capitalcarnagecapitalcarnage Member Posts: 371
    I commented in the To flat to Fly thread that some of the elements in that gamer including numbers and challenge descriptions appear to be display text and definitely look retina on my iPhone so perhaps its not so far off after all.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    @viking - I think that's because what your really doing is taking the iPhone size and making it fit on the iPad - The GS text would be blurry. It always has for me. I always use custom font.
  • vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322
    Yeah, looks like I have to bite the bullet and create custom fonts. I guess it is Ok since I always felt that the GS font I was using was a bit too plain and vanilla for the style of the game we are making. Now we get to add that extra little flair to the fonts, which will make the game another 2% better. It all adds up :)
  • PBEmpirePBEmpire Member Posts: 676
    Does this work for the iPhone 5
  • PBEmpirePBEmpire Member Posts: 676
    I am trying to convert iPad to iPhone 5
  • ThemistoklesVThemistoklesV Member, PRO Posts: 138
    @ all experts
    there is a technique to resize a table wich contains the x & y location (specific) of many actors??
    is that doable?

thanks
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    there is a technique to resize a table wich contains the x & y location (specific) of many actors??
    Are you asking about a way to convert x/y positions from one scene size to another scene size? Because that would require exporting the table to csv, applying some math formulas (which ones, I don't know), and then importing the csv into GameSalad.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@gsrocks123 Yes this should work for iPhone 5. I have not tested it yet with overscan on but in theory it should work.

@ThemistoklesV this technique does not require a change of actor positions. Im not fully sure what you are asking but if you are more set on moving the actors as opposed to this technique then you could try the project resized tool over at DBA. it adjusts actor sizes and positions to get you close to a similar layout on a different platform.
    edited December 2012
    @tenrdrmer

Yes but with this technique if we create a copy for iphone 5 and from GS Creator we select Legacy iPhone ( iphhone 4 ) the scenes are not well displayed.....
    So we cannot have a universal project for iphone 5 & iphone 4 ....
    or i am missing something?
    edited December 2012
    @ThemistoklesV No it looks all screwed up in GS just like when you do it for iPad. But after you change the camera size and tracking area back to the iPhone legacy size it will just stretch it out for the iPhone 5 when the app runs. the issue comes in with the new over scan. you iPhone 5 app will either be cropped off a little on both ends of have letter boxing on the top and bottom when actually played on a legacy device. depending on the option you chose when publishing

Just remember it will always look messed up in the creator when your converting it to another platform than it was built for but if you set it up right it will look great at runtime

I just did a quick test. in the preview mode it works fine and acts just as I typed above.

Cheers
    @tenrdrmer
    well now im confused!!!!! i did the instructions above..... 1)ipad to iphone 4 and it works like a charm !!! but if i go from iphone 4--> iphone 5 then some actors are not displayed correct, they are out of the screen .......

i also followed the technique of Tshirtboot:
    http://gshelper.com/?p=1700
    but with this technique dosnt work !!!
    edited December 2012
    @ThemistoklesV You probably need to be doing iPad to iPhone 5 since the base project is iPad
    i did that also ipad---> iPhone 5 and when im selecting to display as iPhone 4(legacy)
    still donsnt work ......

so i will create an iPhone 4 app or an iPhone 5 app. These are my choices.....

if i follow the Tshirtbooth tut whic is great i have a problem.....i have a table with the positions (x,y) of 36 actors.... but there for the ipad version... so need to convert these positions for iPhone ......which manually, without a tool or specific formulas is impossible
    edited December 2012
    No it most likely does work your just not happy with how GS does it now. Here is a screen shot I just did of and iPad converted to iPhone 5 size and following this is how GS handles the iPhone 4 display with over scan. And the last screen shot will be how it will display if you select letterbox instead of cropping. I have a feeling this is working just as it should and you are just not happy with how the Overscan makes it look. I don't like it either. I don't understand why if they can take time time to make the project crop to fit a display. Why can they not give you the option to stretch and fill the display?
  • 8bitninja8bitninja Member Posts: 367
    You are so right tenrdrmer, A stretch to fill display option would make things so much easier.
  • mrpacogpmrpacogp Member Posts: 400
    For me that works fantastic.
    But I'm working to solved one think.
    When you have an actor to spam another, that works fine before to resize your proyect, but if you resize it, the actor spawn change the spawn position to another more scaled than your actor. Maybe this could be better if spawn from scene position instead from actor.
  • mrpacogpmrpacogp Member Posts: 400
    I have solved the issue on my last comment.
    The only i can't change correctly is the real size of scene.
    I can resize scene size, and you play and feels like it resize it, but all actors near the limits of scene before to resize it is destroyed.
    Then, all is resized but not limits of scene.
  • sladaksladak Member Posts: 119
    Hi guys

This would be a great way to convert my game to iPad. Unfortunately with round actors they distort as they rotate. This is even with the 0.9 scaling factor on the width. Any other ways to do this?

Cheers

Sam
  • sladaksladak Member Posts: 119
    Anyone?