Resizing to iPad Technique

Comments

• FLPAppsFLPApps Member Posts: 34
    Wow, thanks tenrdrmer!

Just made a great HD version of Marin Cannon in less than 1 hour!

I never thought this was possible until I saw this thread.

Thanks again,
    FLPApps

• DoguzDoguz Member Posts: 500
    This may be obvious, but worth noting. If you are going from iPad (landscape) to iPhone, you can just change the camera size to 1024 x 683 (instead of 768). And it will proportion correctly. You do however cut off a 85 high pixel strip from the top. BUT if you know this from the outset, you can design accordingly.

Doguz
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I don't know how i missed this when it was all going down, but I just converted Obliteration HD to the iPhone and tested it on a 4 and 3Gs in under an hour. It's been submitted and should be released on the 12th.

I'm working on converting a Long way home. That one is a little more tricky with the lower resolution devices, I need to go through and adjust some text boxes, but I hope to submit that tomorrow.

• ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    + 1 to @dreamlab about the negative BS.
    Love the BOOKMARK feature, I know i'll be using this eventually. Thanks to everyone who's involved started, continued and keeps adding more awesome points to this!
  • DoguzDoguz Member Posts: 500
    Talking about resizing this proportionately. I am now converting my iPad to iPhone with these camera dimensions 1151 x 768. This actually leaves a nice little gap along the side (or bottom for portrait) perfect for a little advertising (of my own products) So instead of cutting a strip off my project, I gain a strip when going to iPhone. I can spruik the iPad version with this space.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    Hey guys,

I just started converting Penguin Pounce to the iPad by using Tenrdrmer's technique he shared with us not to long ago.
    It works great, however, I had thought that I would need to save my project file as Penguin Pounce HD for example. Then I would create the iPad version on that new project file separate from my iPhone one. This is just how I thought, I don't know if this is what you had thought.

I got to thinking, what if I need to change my iPhone version because it has a ton of bugs? (not saying it does) Then I would have to fix them in the iPad version wouldn't I?

I have configured a way to have it IN THE SAME PROJECT FILE. Just thought I would share. If you already know this, then don't bother reading.

I created a real attribute (global) called iPad/iPhone and set it to .9

Then I went into each actor and put a change attribute:

change attribute self.width to self.width*game.iPad/iPhone (which would be .9)
    I also did this for the self.height since my game is landscape.

I did that for all my actors. I then created a new actor called iPad/iPhone
    I dragged this into my scene, unlocked it, and put this:

Rule: if game.iPad/iPhone = .9,
    change attribute: current scene.camera.size.width to 480
    change attribute: current scene.camera.size.height to 320
    change attribute: current scene.camera.origin.X to 477 (since my camera is off a little)

OTHERWISE
    change attribute: current scene.camera.origin.X to 477 (this is used for me when I convert the project file back to iPhone)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now here is the cool part:
    just go and change the file to iPad landscape and you should have a working iPad project!

How do you change it back to iPhone?
    Just change it back to iPhone landscape, and go into your attributes and change iPad/iPhone to 1.

That should do it!
    NOTE: You will have to have an unlocked actor in each scene that does this rule:

Rule: if game.iPad/iPhone = .9,
    change attribute: current scene.camera.size.width to 480
    change attribute: current scene.camera.size.height to 320
    change attribute: current scene.camera.origin.X to 477 (since my camera is off a little)

OTHERWISE
    change attribute: current scene.camera.origin.X to 477

..Then it should work.
    I haven't come across any issues and I just thought I would share.
    Hope this helps someone.

Braydon
  • zzap64zzap64 Member Posts: 405
    wow, i just changed the camera size on each scene and now my ipad version works on the iphone, took a few minutes. awesome :)
  • stackpoolestackpoole Melbourne, Victoria, AustraliaMember, PRO Posts: 473
    Hi,using this technique, can you ad iADS?

thanks in advance

Sydney Swans 2014!!

@brendanzh926 I have never tried it but im sure it would work.
  • scrapee_netscrapee_net Member Posts: 424
    iAds works...

The problem is that, resizing from iPhone to iPad, there is loss of quality.
    @scrappe_net not if you use iPhone retina art or iPad sized art.
  • Benjamin_m5Benjamin_m5 Member Posts: 646
    When i want to make my iphone game to ipad, and my actors positions are from table, how can i make the *0.9?

change self.position.X to (TableCallValue,table1,1,levelnumber)*what?!
    change self.position.Y to (TableCellValue,table1,2,levelnumber)*what?!

With witch number must i multiplicate my positions X and Y?
    ---
    Benjamin
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited May 2012
    @Benjamin_m5

Just create a Real attribute and set it to 0.9 (game.iPad/iPhone)
    Then, in all your actors just put a change attributes:
    Change attribute self.size.width to self.size.width*game.iPad/iPhone
    Change attribute self.size.height to self.size.height*game.iPad/iPhone

That should help.
    You don't change positions of the actors just the width or heigth depending on the platform you are going to and you only need to do that on actors that appear distorted. Most will need no change.
  • monkeedmonkeed Member Posts: 22
    I have used this method and everything works great with one exception.
    I have rounds actors that I have applied a .9 width to. When these actors rotate I get some severe distortion. Any way to avoid this?
    @monkeed do you have any other rules affecting the actors width? I have not seen issues with the round actors messing up while rotating because even though it's rotating the width dimension remains the same direction. But if there's any other rules or behaviors adjusting the width will need the same .9 adjustment made to them as well
    I don't think there are any other rules that affect the actors width. I must be doing something wrong. Here is an example of what I'm talking about, if someone could take a look I'd appreciate it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8500173/testconvert.zip
    Anyone have any ideas?
  • scrapee_netscrapee_net Member Posts: 424
    is this technique valid for ipad retina?
    It is if you use retina art and check RI in your project.
  • ecscessecscess Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2012
    Tshirtbooth this is a very good idea for a video tutorial. And I think the right technique is from ipad to iphone in this way they will keep the good quality
    @ecscess there is no quality loss for iphone to ipad I have done all of my games this way. You just have to make your artwork right. The iphone to ipad version makes developing iPad apps from a 13" MBP much more bearable.
  • kobayaashikobayaashi Member, PRO Posts: 143
    Hi guys - as a newbie, reading this thread has made my brain melt out through my nose, but it seems to be something which will make a huge difference to my working methods, so I will persevere! There are a lot of good people on here, happy to share what they have learned, and I find that inspiring. I look forward to the day when I can share what I've learned...
  • MetzoPainoMetzoPaino Member Posts: 195
    edited June 2012
    is this technique valid for ipad retina?
    It is if you use retina art and check RI in your project.
    Really? I'm not able to test this myself, but it seems like while this method would work for the iPad 1 & 2, but the retina iPad would need art which is twice the size it is displayed, which would be more than the retina sized art for an iPhone? Therefore this method would look blurry on a retina iPad?

Unless by retina art you meant in the creation stage design retina iPad art?

Well yes obviously as this was method was figured out well before the iPad 3 you will now have to create iPad retina art to use this method and get retina art on the iPad 3.
    Though no as long as you don't select RI on the iPad 3 your art should still look fine. It should only get blurry if your art is not Retina sized and you select RI.
  • thelogobarthelogobar Member Posts: 93
    This is superb!
  • vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322
    This is really cool :) It only took me a couple of hours to get a solid iPad version up and running. However, I have one problem... The backgrounds look amazing as I did them in 2048x1536 and the rest of the art looks great as well. However, I use the standard GameSalad fonts for score and high-score as well as text in the menu screens and they are very low-res compared to the rest of my art.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this an artifact of using this "trick"?
    @Viking Unfortunately GS display text only supports the standard resolutions. It will look low res compared to iphone retina art as well unfortunately. Most of us do not use it in our projects for any more than debugging issues.
  • vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322
    Thanks for the comment @tenrdrmer. I was planning on using custom fonts for my game initially, but I spent a lot of time and frustration adding a comma to separate 1 from 000 in my score, high-score, life-time points etc. etc. mixed with loading and saving... The GS fonts look great on my iPhone version, but terrible on the new iPad. Not sure if I can add a custom high-res font to display my score logic without my brain melting...

My score is based on this logic: floor( game.Total Score /1000)..","..floor(( game.Total Score -floor( game.Total Score /1000)*1000)/100)..floor(( game.Total Score -floor( game.Total Score /100)*100)/10)..floor(( game.Total Score -floor( game.Total Score /10)*10)).." "

Is there a simple way to add custom fonts to display my score logic?

Anyone know if resolution independent fonts for retina displays in GS is on the to-do list for the new version of the engine?