GameSalad 0.9.90 is here! Introducing Tables & In-App Purchase

Comments

• RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Member Posts: 323
    Can anyone report on performance of this build so far? I'm less than 24 hours from submitting to Apple and can't afford any show stopping bugs.

That said, since it doesn't appear the retina icon is gong to be re-fixed for the prior version, I guess I'm pretty much stuck upgrading and crossing my fingers. :\
  • 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Member, PRO Posts: 368
    Awesome! =D> Thanks for the update GS, keep moving forward! I could have definitely used tables for my app Chinatown Fortune Cookie, but its already been released. They will help me a bunch with an app I'll be working on later this year though and iAP. Next up: Gamecenter Achievements & Universal Builds please....

Also the icon for my new game is no longer blurry, time to send it to Apple! Yay! Thanks for fixing the blurry icon problem!

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

• bren7bren7 Member, PRO Posts: 42
    Yaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • RacetotheMoonRacetotheMoon Member Posts: 323
    @SaladStraightShooter - I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately I like presentability to be on my list of things I count on for a successful build. Since the icon is the first thing the user will see, it's something I'm relient upon. I don't expect you to go back and change it for just little old me, but if this was broken for you guys locally before releasing Battle Legend Infinity I'm rather certain you would have taken the 10 minutes to roll back whatever code broke it in the first place.

I'm going to wait for user feedback on this version while I finish dotting some i's and crossing some t's. Hopefully this build is solid.
  • POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    Just wanted to say i love the update so far , great job GS !

Roy.
  • 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Member, PRO Posts: 368
    @SaladStraightShooter you scared me with that post above a little bit. The game that I just sent to Apple for review with this new version was mostly built with the last version of Gamesalad so I hope I'm ok. I tested it a bunch prior to the update and it was fine, but I'll continue to test it a bunch while its in the review queue, and I'll reject it if something odd pops up. Hopefully nothing odd pops up with the new version, so far, everything is still running smooth. I had to upgrade, as RacetotheMoon also stated, presentability is key, and I couldn't release with the blurry icon.

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

• MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    Hey SSS can you poke the GS devs and force them to do double and triple shifts to fix the font problem? The tables are screaming to be used with texts and having a perfectly working display text behavior would be a plus.

Can you also please tell them to give a little attention to the OpenURL behavior? I already reported it a few times but in the last updates it was never addressed.

• micksolomicksolo Member Posts: 264
    congrats guys!! This is a HUGE update and taking GS to the next level.
  • micksolomicksolo Member Posts: 264
    Only feedback so far is it would be great if there was someway to preview the table from inside an actor, once you're working with a big table its hard to remember the cell reference. I thought the way to get around this was to export to CSV and open in google docs but it does not save out the header information.

Oh and writeable tables will be amazing...looking forward to that in the next update!
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    @QS yes achievements are better. If a game is to get big then the leader boards are pretty pointless anyway as they just get hacked.

Joints and GS achievements .... Pitchforks at a ready .... Commence :)
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Thank you GameSalad! Going to download the update now :) You guys never cease to amaze me.

- Alex
  • mu-kowAPPSmu-kowAPPS Member Posts: 233
    The IAP appear to be exclusive to iOS.

What plans are there for android IAP?
  • GameTeamOneGameTeamOne Member, PRO Posts: 88
    And to add to @SaladStraightShooter 's post:
    Game Team One typically gets features in a much less functional state than our community and we actively test them out in real world applications in order to find the weak points that help our devs clean them up for public release. In a combined effort with our QA department we hit the updates from both sides. But in regards to special treatment, we do not get any. Arguably, the feedback from our Sous Chefs, Line Cooks and forum participants get the most visibility since at the end of the day you are the real customer. Game Team One is the closest thing GameSalad has to an in-house customer since we use the tool every single day to do our work just like the rest of you. Trust me, many of your excitement and frustrations are the same as ours, but our outlook is super positive.

Most of the work my team does never sees the light of day because we are constantly stress testing and prototyping. Battle Legend Infinity marks the first real internal effort from Game Team One that has hit the public. It was not an easy development nor did we get special treatment throughout the process. Hopefully though, it shows a genuine effort to make a quality game using our publicly available feature set.

I hope you guys get alot out of Tables and IAP. They are a great set of features to kick off 2012 and are a preview of good things to come.
  • GLGAMESGLGAMES SingaporeMember Posts: 988
    By the way for IAP how to you setup the 3 seperate scene needed? cancel, success etc ....
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    YA! I CAN't BE MORE HAPPY THEN THIS

CAlvin
    @GLGames
    The 3 scene options are up to you - by default none are chosen and your game will return to normal after any purchase scenario (success, cancel or error). You can make one or more special scenes though that can be displayed after the transaction utilizing an automatic pause. So for instance, if a player cancelled a transaction, and you wanted to throw up a teaser splash screen showing all of the features they are missing out on, you can create a scene with a teaser image as the background that fires off on the cancel event. You could add in a TIMER where after 5 seconds the game unpaused which would return to the previous scene the purchase was attempted.

These scenes are completely optional but we offer you the choice so you can have more opportunities to advertise your features and add value to your game.
  • GLGAMESGLGAMES SingaporeMember Posts: 988
    i see so by default the iap rule should work on its on without defining those scenes as well ..
    thanks alot for the clarification cause iap doesn't work in viewer when i tried testing so i'm not sure if it's because i never put those scenes in.
  • mikelowemikelowe Member Posts: 177
    Thanks so much GS! I just bought my Pro license this week and I have no regrets. Just converted one of my previously successful games over to the "freemium" model.

-Michael
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    quick question, with IAP, it flips the switch on boolean, but do i need a save attribute afterwards to make sure that the boolean stays on or that's taken care of.
    @ultima
    You will not need a SAVE ATTRIBUTE behavior for non-consumable IAP. You will however need to put a LOAD ATTRIBUTE somewhere in the initial scenes of your game as a best practice, that utilizes the ProductID of the IAP as the KEY. By doing this, you will load the value for the unlocked attribute at the beginning of your game. If the purchase was made, it will auto save as True so the player will always see their unlocked content henceforth.

Consumable Items are a little different. You cannot use their product ID as the Key for a Load Attribute behavior in the same manner as a boolean non consumable. The reason is the player will likely be using the consumable item constantly. In the case of a coin pouch that increases coin count, the player will probably spend coins all the time on in game items and upgrades. We suggest adding a SAVE ATTRIBUTE behavior to any event in your game where you consume or modify your item with a unique Key, such as "TotalCoins" as opposed to the product ID. Then you can add a LOAD ATTRIBUTE behavior at the beginning of your game with your unique key that will load an accurate coin count.

Scroll down to the bottom of this cookbook entry. It talks in more detail about Saving and Loading Considerations around IAP.
    http://cookbook.gamesalad.com/tutorials/5/parts/26
  • gameviccigamevicci Member, PRO Posts: 306
    Awesome upgrade!!! Really really awesome!!! Now GameSalad need only AdMob to become perfect :D

ADMOB ADMOB ADMOB!!!!!!!!!
  • mu-kowAPPSmu-kowAPPS Member Posts: 233
    @gamevicci far from perfect, but ADMOB would be nice. IAP in android would be awesome too.
  • andikmandikm Member, PRO Posts: 26
    @QS + 2

Grabbing a pitchfork right now. Not wanting to sound ungrateful for the awesome update, but GameCenter Achievements would drop me to my knees and thank the heavens above. :D
  • scrapee_netscrapee_net Member Posts: 424
    IAP is good, but we still need ways to monetize android games. We are asking for admob for a long time. That would be nice.
  • MotherHooseMotherHoose Member Posts: 2,456
    edited January 2012
    WOW! for Tables! :-*

suggestions:
    1. as TSB pointed out: would be nice if they were in a separate category/folder in the gameAttributes col of the Expression editor
    2. would be nice if they opened in a separate window, so we could reference them from the Actor's Editor

very,very encouraged by the progress GS is making …
    and, love that this build is aimed at making our development process so much easier!
    while, monetization features are great; if the work is tedious …
    the game may not get done; and thus have no chance to earn any money!

@};- MH
    @P-O-M
    Addressed.
  • POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    edited January 2012
    Thank you very much, i think you guys should add these answers to the tutorial cause i understood everything from it (its very informative) except what i asked.
    I think my game is ready for submission to apple with IAP now , ill run a few sandbox tests and upload ;)

Roy.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    I've been using GS 0.9.8.2 for a while - and I just downloaded 0.9.9.0

I've only tested it for 10 mins but so far so good. Ao seems to work as it should - all rules intact, nothing broken. In fact there are even some background gfx glitches that have been fixed. Hopefully the Creator will prove sturdy after continued use.

Glad to see the GS testing process on builds has improved. Looking forward to using tables and testing on a device too...!
  • GnomerGnomer Member Posts: 292
    Aww IAP just for pro :(